The Edge's pedals and effects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tpsglick2424 said:
didnt he use a korg sdd3000?

i think he still has a couple in his rig -- i read somewhere that he personally owns over 20 of them

talking pedals -- Boss FET-1 Preamp, Lovetone Doppelganger, Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface (?), Dunlop 535q Wah, Sobbat Drivebreaker

well...i dont know....like around 6 or 7 hundred bucks maybe? and plus i live way down here in texas (about 30 min away from mexico) and there isn't really a lot of good guitars or guitar accesories...i think a musician's friend store just opend up around here but i havent checked it out yet...and guitar wise...the only good one ive seen here was a rickenbacker but that was years ago....

eBay is the place to go if you want to get this crap. and some of the pedals like the Boss FET and Lovetone Meatball/Doppelganger cost a lot of money.

Some of them are expensive like discothque said, but I saw the sobbat on a web for like $200...

Edge uses a lot of his gear for just one song or two songs. Unless you are on the same budget it's madness to go and do the same. You would be better of buying stuff that allows you to do most of the Edge's tones and accept that for a few songs you will have to overcome, improvise, adapt.

99% of the audience you are playing for will never notice anyway that your tubescreamer isn't the exact TS-808 that Edge uses.

So whats the suggestion on the best pedal(s) to buy? In the sub-$150 range? I was going to pick up a vintage Memory Man off of eBay to play some Boy and War stuff...

korg a3, but you'll need an fc6. with a little tweaking, you can get the sounds you want. plus, with the spc-01 patches, it has everything you'll ever need: amazing delay, decent distortion, wah, auto wah, excellent reverb, and some great phase and flangers too. buying all the individual pedals is too expensive, imo, and i always tought that delay stomp-boxes were a waste of money unless they had tap tempo.

Can someone tell me what tap tempo actually is? I have it on my DD-6 Boss and I have no clue what it is or how to use it...Yes the Korg A3 is an awesome effect..

with tap tempo, you tap the pedal (usually 4 times) to set the delay time. for example, if you're playing Bad, you just need to tap out the first measure in quarter notes, and the delay time would be set for each tap. some delay units (like the delay on the Line 6 Pod or DL4) have a setting where you tap out the tempo (in quarter notes) and the delay time is set to 8th notes (like I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock) or dotted 8th notes (like Electric Co. or Streets).

without a multi effects box, where delay times can be saved in patches, tap tempo is essential, especially for an Edge-fan. with a regular stomp box, without tap tempo, you have to set the delay time using a knob, which is very imprecise and just a pain in the ass. plus, for each song, you'll need to change the delay time by hand, which is just ridiculous, at home or on stage. with tap tempo, you just tap the tempo of each song. if your drummer happens to speed up, then, hey, just tap it out again (which makes tap tempo better than even preset delay in multi-effects units, or even expensive rack units). the Line 6 DL4, for example, gives you 3 presets which you can set to stereo delay, analog delay, tape delay, tube delay, rhytmic delay (such as the dotted 8th and all that), and a bunch more different types of delays, and gives you a tap tempo button. it's probably the most versatile stompbox delay pedal, and i bet it sounds very good too.

discothequeLP said:
with tap tempo, you tap the pedal (usually 4 times) to set the delay time. for example, if you're playing Bad, you just need to tap out the first measure in quarter notes, and the delay time would be set for each tap. some delay units (like the delay on the Line 6 Pod or DL4) have a setting where you tap out the tempo (in quarter notes) and the delay time is set to 8th notes (like I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock) or dotted 8th notes (like Electric Co. or Streets).

without a multi effects box, where delay times can be saved in patches, tap tempo is essential, especially for an Edge-fan. with a regular stomp box, without tap tempo, you have to set the delay time using a knob, which is very imprecise and just a pain in the ass. plus, for each song, you'll need to change the delay time by hand, which is just ridiculous, at home or on stage. with tap tempo, you just tap the tempo of each song. if your drummer happens to speed up, then, hey, just tap it out again (which makes tap tempo better than even preset delay in multi-effects units, or even expensive rack units). the Line 6 DL4, for example, gives you 3 presets which you can set to stereo delay, analog delay, tape delay, tube delay, rhytmic delay (such as the dotted 8th and all that), and a bunch more different types of delays, and gives you a tap tempo button. it's probably the most versatile stompbox delay pedal, and i bet it sounds very good too.

I have tap tempo in my delay stompbox...:hmm:

discothequeLP said:
a little random, but this is probably the best use of delay/sampling i've ever seen. the fun starts just before the 1:00 mark :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdY-KAmj5fU

:drool: :drool: :drool:

It said live in 1979. So he's probably using some analogue tape delay which you can set to loop ad infinitum. From what I gather its a bit hard these days to find delays that can still do that.

discothequeLP said:
korg a3, but you'll need an fc6. with a little tweaking, you can get the sounds you want. plus, with the spc-01 patches, it has everything you'll ever need: amazing delay, decent distortion, wah, auto wah, excellent reverb, and some great phase and flangers too. buying all the individual pedals is too expensive, imo, and i always tought that delay stomp-boxes were a waste of money unless they had tap tempo.

Thx for answering. I was looking around after reading this and I can't find one anywhere but eBay...Where can I pick one up? And whats the price?

i doubt you can find it in any store. ebay is the only place i know. there's one right now with the fc6, looks pretty good. the Line 6 POD or POD Live or POD XT are pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom