The Edge's pedals and effects - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:18 PM
korg a3, but you'll need an fc6. with a little tweaking, you can get the sounds you want. plus, with the spc-01 patches, it has everything you'll ever need: amazing delay, decent distortion, wah, auto wah, excellent reverb, and some great phase and flangers too. buying all the individual pedals is too expensive, imo, and i always tought that delay stomp-boxes were a waste of money unless they had tap tempo.

discothequeLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Can someone tell me what tap tempo actually is? I have it on my DD-6 Boss and I have no clue what it is or how to use it...Yes the Korg A3 is an awesome effect..

tpsglick2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

with tap tempo, you tap the pedal (usually 4 times) to set the delay time. for example, if you're playing Bad, you just need to tap out the first measure in quarter notes, and the delay time would be set for each tap. some delay units (like the delay on the Line 6 Pod or DL4) have a setting where you tap out the tempo (in quarter notes) and the delay time is set to 8th notes (like I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock) or dotted 8th notes (like Electric Co. or Streets).

without a multi effects box, where delay times can be saved in patches, tap tempo is essential, especially for an Edge-fan. with a regular stomp box, without tap tempo, you have to set the delay time using a knob, which is very imprecise and just a pain in the ass. plus, for each song, you'll need to change the delay time by hand, which is just ridiculous, at home or on stage. with tap tempo, you just tap the tempo of each song. if your drummer happens to speed up, then, hey, just tap it out again (which makes tap tempo better than even preset delay in multi-effects units, or even expensive rack units). the Line 6 DL4, for example, gives you 3 presets which you can set to stereo delay, analog delay, tape delay, tube delay, rhytmic delay (such as the dotted 8th and all that), and a bunch more different types of delays, and gives you a tap tempo button. it's probably the most versatile stompbox delay pedal, and i bet it sounds very good too.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

a little random, but this is probably the best use of delay/sampling i've ever seen. the fun starts just before the 1:00 mark

Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by discothequeLP
with tap tempo, you tap the pedal (usually 4 times) to set the delay time. for example, if you're playing Bad, you just need to tap out the first measure in quarter notes, and the delay time would be set for each tap. some delay units (like the delay on the Line 6 Pod or DL4) have a setting where you tap out the tempo (in quarter notes) and the delay time is set to 8th notes (like I Will Follow, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock) or dotted 8th notes (like Electric Co. or Streets).

without a multi effects box, where delay times can be saved in patches, tap tempo is essential, especially for an Edge-fan. with a regular stomp box, without tap tempo, you have to set the delay time using a knob, which is very imprecise and just a pain in the ass. plus, for each song, you'll need to change the delay time by hand, which is just ridiculous, at home or on stage. with tap tempo, you just tap the tempo of each song. if your drummer happens to speed up, then, hey, just tap it out again (which makes tap tempo better than even preset delay in multi-effects units, or even expensive rack units). the Line 6 DL4, for example, gives you 3 presets which you can set to stereo delay, analog delay, tape delay, tube delay, rhytmic delay (such as the dotted 8th and all that), and a bunch more different types of delays, and gives you a tap tempo button. it's probably the most versatile stompbox delay pedal, and i bet it sounds very good too.
I have tap tempo in my delay stompbox...
tpsglick2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
a little random, but this is probably the best use of delay/sampling i've ever seen. the fun starts just before the 1:00 mark

It said live in 1979. So he's probably using some analogue tape delay which you can set to loop ad infinitum. From what I gather its a bit hard these days to find delays that can still do that.
Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #27
Babyface

Quote:
korg a3, but you'll need an fc6. with a little tweaking, you can get the sounds you want. plus, with the spc-01 patches, it has everything you'll ever need: amazing delay, decent distortion, wah, auto wah, excellent reverb, and some great phase and flangers too. buying all the individual pedals is too expensive, imo, and i always tought that delay stomp-boxes were a waste of money unless they had tap tempo.
Thx for answering. I was looking around after reading this and I can't find one anywhere but eBay...Where can I pick one up? And whats the price?
WorfoSAUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i doubt you can find it in any store. ebay is the only place i know. there's one right now with the fc6, looks pretty good. the Line 6 POD or POD Live or POD XT are pretty good too.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 PM
I found mine, 2nd hand, for €150 in a shop doing a Google search. So it pays to look around beside just Ebay

Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote