The Edge & Marshall Amps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveUK

The Fly
I see over the last few years that Edge has added a Marshall 1987 (JMP) 50 watt head & Vintage original 4 x 12 cab to his set up.

Does anyone here have any idea what songs or song parts that he is using it for?

The only place I've seen it is when Edge was doing that BBC doc that he was showing of his rig....there was a half stack behind him. And its also in the Beautiful Day Video even tho i believe beautiful day was done on a Vox thats what Edge said in the interview.

You're right about the BBC doc, but in the "Beautiful Day" video he's using HiWatts, not Marshalls.

And yes, I also wouldn't trust what he's using in videos, rarely is that actually used for the recording! :)

There are pictures all over the net showing it, Usually on the left of his effects rack in some live settings not to mention studio pictures & of course the BBC documentary where he actually states that its a new addition. Its even in his sound check from it might get loud, You just get a glimpse of the back of it next to his rack when the camera pans back while he's playing Bad.
Its also listed in some of his gear lists as a 1987 which is a JMP50 with a Mick Ralphs owned 4x12.

Live shots & videos of Edge back in the late 70's early 80's also sometimes show him using a Marshall JMP50 2x12 combo so he's no stranger to Marshall Amps!

You're right about the BBC doc, but in the "Beautiful Day" video he's using HiWatts, not Marshalls.

And yes, I also wouldn't trust what he's using in videos, rarely is that actually used for the recording! :)

Hi-Watt and Fender Bassman were used for "Elevation" (song).

Elevation Intro: Gibson SG > K-Fuzz > Bassman
Elevation Main Riff: Hi-Watt

But as he mentions in the Guitar Player article from January 2001:

"I used a 70s Hi-Watt combo for a lot of the distortion tones, and for many of the clean tones I used an old Fender Bassman"

So it could be possible that the Hi-Watt was used for the distortion tone during the chorus of Beautiful Day.

GUITAR PLAYER > Jan 2001 > Basic Instincts

GP: "Elevation" has some amazing distortion tones.

Edge: I used a Gibson SG through an old fuzz pedal of Daniel's into the Bassman. He said, "What do you think of this?" Within ten minutes, I had the riff that became the stepping off point for "Elevation". Inspiration can come from anywhere, and a fresh sound can be just as inspiring as a great hook. To me, sounds *are* hooks. That tone presented a whole world of ideas to me, and we got a song
out of it.

GP: What is that huge distortion sound that barges in during the main riff? (Elevation)

Edge: That's the Hiwatt.

The Hi-Watt combo could the the one (or one like) the one in the photo below:
-72306-size3-1.jpg

There are pictures all over the net showing it, Usually on the left of his effects rack in some live settings not to mention studio pictures & of course the BBC documentary where he actually states that its a new addition. Its even in his sound check from it might get loud, You just get a glimpse of the back of it next to his rack when the camera pans back while he's playing Bad.
Its also listed in some of his gear lists as a 1987 which is a JMP50 with a Mick Ralphs owned 4x12.

Live shots & videos of Edge back in the late 70's early 80's also sometimes show him using a Marshall JMP50 2x12 combo so he's no stranger to Marshall Amps!

It Might Get Loud - About 3:48 into the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXF-MMnPXw

Looks to be a Marshall to the right of the Vox stack in this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlU2ukrCoU&feature=related

Marshall in the BBC clip - 8-9 seconds into the video below - to the left of the rack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpe5cAkIo0&feature=related

Marshall head appears to be behind the amps, to the right, on the flight case - in the photo below:
2236225003_e9505697be.jpg

Marshall combo - Early TV appearance - Could have been borrowed for the performance
3071855075_0e678aa8c9.jpg

Regarding Hi-Watt amp use...

Hi-Watt live use?

Off of the top of my head, the only thing that I remember is the November 2004 promo show at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Edge had a Hi-Watt cabinet behind the piano. (I didn't see the amp head in the photos that I have). I am uncertain how it was used for that show.

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom