Tele or Strat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
What would you say is the better guitar for 'allround' U2 edgy type sounds?
Strat or Tele?

strat definitely especialy for achtung baby/zooropa, but recently he's gone back to his gibsons. personally for an allround edge sound i would use a gibson/epiphone of some sort. i have a knock off tele and and epiphone les paul, and i can get a better u2 sound off the lp than off the tele...

for Edgey sounds, Strat would get you to more songs: Gloria, An Cat Dubh, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Pride, practically all of The Joshua Tree. . . basically all the 80s songs. but the Tele is the better guitar.

cheers!

Decisions decisions!

Id love a Gibson Les Paul - but unfortunatly it blows my budget to bits at the moment.

So, its a toss up between the tele or the strat.

Like the look of the tele though....

In what way is the tele better?

Last edited:
well teles a great looking guitar and a great sound for rock n roll, country etc but no a very versatile sound in comparison to the strat which will do just about any sound. but seriously i have an epiphone les paul and they cost only a bit more than a mexican strat and its great... look into it...

Yeah ive found some good deals on the Strat and Epi Les Paul - About £300 from wembley guitar and rockfactory each.

I think the best thing would be to get into the shops and give them a whirl and see what i like the feel / sound off.

Are there any amps / pedals that you would reccomend getting to get started as well?

Id rather get decentish gear, so dont mind paying say £70 - £100 for a pedal.

Are these multi effects pedals any good? Seen a Boss one for about £260 - better to get this than say 3 or 4 seperate pedals?

well i have a boss dd3 - delay (excellent), boss CS3- compression/sustainer (dont really use), boss os2- overdrive/distortion (very good pedal although for edge sound go for a SD1 cheaper and actually what he used for a good while, thats just overdrive though, you could do with a distortion pedal, if so then get an ibanez ts9) also have a jim dunlop crybaby - essential for achtung baby stuff.

so for the classic edge sound:

Boss dd3
Boss sd1

then expand from there...

wouldnt be mad about multieffects pedals, you get more of a feel for the sound you want by using individual pedals, and there better, sturdy and less can go wrong, although you will need lots of batteries or a boss adaptor with the daisy chain for multiple pedals. ive heard the boss gt6 is brilliant but i personally would prefer to spend the money on seperate pedals!! hope it helps...

amp-wise i have a 120w behringer amp it has a beautiful clean channel, overdrive channel pretty poor and most built in effects arent worth using. i would recommend line 6 for their amp models, you can get a great ac30-type sound from most of their models, give em a try. if youre only practising at home spider1x12 would do you grand if youre gonna use it for gigging spider2x12 would be grand not hooked up to a pa for a small to medium venue.

can u describe with difference between overdrive and distortion?

Example of song using each would be great!

Thanks v. much for the help so far, much appreciated!

Had a play on a strat and a les paul today in the store, quite liked the strat!

Also been on the Line6 site, their amps look like a good bit of kit.

Don't even think about buying a Fender product without checking out the competing G&L or Tribute by G&L (basically equivalent to Mexican made Fender Strats) products. The Tribute series will cost about $50-$100 more than mexican strats but you'll get a much better guitar, probably better than most new American Strats.

Have fun with whatever you get.

overdrive is sunday bloody sunday, distortion is elevation, difference is overdrive is essentially overdriving the amp and trying to get too much output, it is smoother and have a less harsh sound, blues and 60s britpop are good examples of overdrive.

distortion makes the sound a lot dirtier and grittier used in metal and hard rock mainly. i love a good overdriven sound but nothing beats having a good rock with distortion full and amp as loud as it goes, although ive never gone by 3 on mine!!!

cheers muller!!!

Will have to have a play around in the shop! Going to be in there hours :)

Any Amps worth looking at - around the £100 / £150 mark? Happy to get 2nd hand as well.

if you dont intend to be gigging for a while this will do:
h**p://www.thomann.de/line6_spider_ii_30_prodinfo.html?iwid=2

also check this site out before you buy anything, got a guitar and amp for only 25euro delivery and saved me about 200euro, absolutely recommend it.

edit: btw i'm muller but got sick of my username!!

cheers mate

Ive had a look at some of their gear - looks a good bet.

I saw the other day on Ebay a Vox AD15VT going for about £100ish.

Only going of the Vox name, but what do you think?

I heard someone saying that valve amps are only good for gigging as they need the volume up to get the quality? true?

not quite true, althought the VT arent true valve amps their a mix, valve overdrive as far as i can remember... but valve amps are at their best near full volume, but in good amps shouldnt really make that much of a difference. thats a great price btw!

if you could pick one up for around that price would be a great steal, vox arent quite what they used to be, but still make great amps!!

got some great reviews here:
h**p://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Vox/AD30VT_Combo-01.html

Cheers Mofo.

Been looking around and it seems for around the £100 - £120 mark the Vox 15VT, Roland Cube or Line6 seems to be the way to go.

Anyone got any of these? reccomend?

tele or strat

I would not say that tele is a better guitar than strat. Tele has its own sound what is a matter of preferance. As far as I know, it is not easy to find a good sounding tele. For example, Squier tele very often has a very bad sound.

If you want to sound like the edge, I would, like othres, say that strat is a better option. Specialy, for playing "Streets" you really need Strat.

BTW, yesterday I bought stratocaster (made in USA) and I paid it cca 450$ (used) which is a very good price. I am very happy because it sounds very good.

450$!!!! geez!

In the UK they are more than that in £!! (seen USA strats for about £529) I think im going to have to go for a mexican to get started with.

Played a Tele yesterday, but i prefer the Strat. so at least that has narrowed it down!

Just need to decide on weather to get a fat strat or a standard single coil strat. Anyone know what the edge uses? From the joshua tree dvd it looks like a single coil for with or without you?

Cheers again everyone, much appreciated.

The edge uses single coil strat. For "Streets" he uses middle and bridge pickups together. If you have a strat with 5-positin-switch it is a second position form the bottom. If you have 3-position-switch it is also possible. You have to "turn" the swich between first and second position form the bottom.

I think that the edge played Achtung Baby with different guitars, Gibson Les Paul and Rickenbacker.
Zoo Station - Les Paul
EBTART - Ricky
One - ? maybe GIBSON or semi-acoustic
UTEOTW - GIBSON
FLY - I think GIBSON in studio, Strat for live.
MW - Ricky
Ultraviolet - Strat
LOVE IS BLINDLESS - Les Paul

oh i just remeber him have that strat with the skeleton on it for the Zoo Tv tour, i thought he used it a lot more on AB

its either a strat or tele for One on the slane dvd...i think......then again...could be a gibson...cant quite remember

bono uses his gretch on one, i think edge uses a les paul custom.

btw you should check out u2sound-forum.com an absoulutley gr8 resource for any musician who wants that u2 sound!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom