Take Two - My NEW YEARS DAY Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
Ok, so I finally got a chance after work today to sit down and redo this. I do think it's a helluva lot better than the one I posted last week.

Not to say it's 100% perfect because it's not. But if you gave the last one a listen then I think you'll see a huge improvement on this one.

Remember, this is the live Under A Blood Red Sky version so it's a bit different than the studio version. I feel like I nailed all the harmonics and random notes up through the first couple of verses.

As for the muted strumming part in the middle, I don't think Edge plays it the same way twice so I think what I came up with should be ok. I'm still going to tighten it up a bit, but I think it's much improved from last weeks.

Again, please don't be afraid to give constructive criticism. If it's good, tell me...if it's got some hairy spots, tell me.

http://www.angelfire.com/clone2/davi/

Got the tone very accurate
The delay I think was the right timing but the delay effect needed to be more wet
The playing was quite accurate and techbically correct but it lacked artistic expression (sorry if I'm being too arty farty)
But very good playing! :)

mate, great improvement! ive commented on your first try and this version sounds good to me! the only thing that would pop in my head would be the mute strumming part...but very hard to tell what you can improve there, only master edge might know himself :)

but i think your mute after the solo was much better than the one during the 2nd verse!

mirrorballman said:
mate, great improvement! ive commented on your first try and this version sounds good to me! the only thing that would pop in my head would be the mute strumming part...but very hard to tell what you can improve there, only master edge might know himself :)

but i think your mute after the solo was much better than the one during the 2nd verse!

Thanks Mirror, I was hoping you'd see a change. Here's the deal on the muted parts:

1. On the first section of mutes, Edge is definitely sliding a mute along the 3rd string and ending up at the 12th fret doing some fast picking of that fret before repeating this muted slide on the 3rd string (it sounds like he also mixes in the 2nd string).

2. At the muted part after the solo he is is just staying in one place....I chose the 3rd string 19th fret but I've seen it tabbed at the 5th string 5th fret.

I completely agree that my mutes after the solo sound right on and I could also do that in the first muted section but it wouldn't be exact to the UABRS version.

OK, little nitpick. The part before "under a blood red sky" should be something like
e----------
B---8--8---
G--7--7----
D----5-----
A----------
E----------

Whereas you are missing the 5 :)
Otherwise nice job, better than anything I could come up with! And you nailed the solo.

Thanks for the comments, guys...I appreciate it.

My setup is so simple it'll make you laugh. I'm using a Peavey Predator strat that I got off Ebay for $99! But make no mistake, this is one solid guitar. It was a brand new discontinued guitar that was made in '96 or so. A real steal. All I do is feed it through a Digitech RP100 that goes for $100 but I scored it on Ebay for $41! Haha.........then it just goes into my computer where I record using Cool Edit Pro. That's it.

Not exactly a setup to envy, is it?

Back
Top Bottom