Stratocaster technical info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge87

Babyface
Im triying to make a copy of the black stratocaster.Does anyone know what pickups exactly the Edge has on his strats the neck and mid are supposibly originals70's but the bridge is a custom one.I contacted the fender custom shop to ask them if they ever contacted the Edge or going to to build a custom 'Streets Stratocaster' as I would call it.They said there never contacted Him and have no plans to doe so.The only info his rumors only no real info appart from custom bridge pickups in the guitar world 2005 sept edition.If anyone has any specific info please post it.Thanks.

Im triying to make a copy of the black stratocaster.Does anyone know what pickups exactly the Edge has on his strats the neck and mid are supposibly originals70's but the bridge is a custom one.I contacted the fender custom shop to ask them if they ever contacted the Edge or going to to build a custom 'Streets Stratocaster' as I would call it.They said there never contacted Him and have no plans to doe so.The only info his rumors only no real info appart from custom bridge pickups in the guitar world 2005 sept edition.If anyone has any specific info please post it.Thanks.

I dont' think that they bridge is a 'custom' pickup.

Guitar World & Total Guitar articles from 2005 mention that the 1962 (tobacco) has a "custom bridge pickup" and the 1973 Stratocaster has a "custom installed bridge pickup".

So that said, I believe it is the stock pickup but that it has been custom-wound. (Dallas has mentioned that he's rewound the pickups on some of the guitars)

Why would I think it would be stock if stated as such?

The same 2005 Guitar Player / Total Guitar articles call it ""custom installed bridge pickup". I saw the 1975 LP Custom up close when it was on display at Guitar Center. I took tons of pictures. It has a stock T-Top in the bridge position.

There are a number of ways to get an Edge-sounding Stratocaster. There are plenty of pickup replacements that will get a great 70's Stratocaster sound.

Fender 57/62 set would get you there and at a decent price. Kinman Woodstocks are more expensive but sound amazing. Fralin 'Vintages' would be another great choice. I hear that Lollar make great Stratocaster replacement pickups. Other possibilities would be Fender Custom Shop `69's or Duncan Antiquities.

I know that Mick from Unforgettable Fire has mentioned that he like Kinman Woodstocks. If you have heard his U2 tribute, he gets a very convincing Edge tone.

That said, Chas from Joshua Tree uses an Eric Johnson model Stratocaster w/the stock pickups that the EJ Stratocaster comes stock with that model. He too gets great sounding Edge's tones.

Thanks for the info.I read somewhere that in the cream LP custom he has a dimarzio in the bridge.for the custom bridge pickups I read that during the War to Joshua tree era he had a semour duncan quarter pounds ssl4 and another place it was a dimarzio fs-1 in the bridge because he wanted more gain when he used distortion.I currently have lace sensor holy grails because I said I'm gonna buy the most expensive ones that sound vintage and that the original sound of the 70's strat sounded more like a 54's strat than the ones thes put stock in the reissue ones and the bridge is 11,5k output but are quiet and The Edge prefers to have the original tone and noise.Fender doesent have custom shop mid 70's ones.The kinman have the name on the pickup.I need a pickup that fits in a black cover to look like the original.I hope someone can find the accurate info for all of us taht are OCD to try to get the most accurate that whe can get:hyper:.I dont understand why the Edge or Dallas Shoo dont share the info with anyone even that he uses the reverse side of the herdim picks most of us learned it for amnesta.com.

you can get kinmans without the logo..you just have to pay a bit more which sucks but it is possible

Mick

I respect that they don't post the information. Means that we that want to learn have to put in the time to figure it out.

That said, read the Total Guitar, Guitar Player and Guitar World interviews that Edge has done over the years. He's shared some of what he does. But he doesn't give us settings or complete recipes.

Keep in mind that they work hours and hours to get these tones. They are not obligated to share that information just as 'Coca-Cola' isn't obligated to share their recipe to their product.

As for the Amnesta site - be careful. There is a lot of information there that is not so accurate.

"I read somewhere that in the cream LP custom he has a dimarzio in the bridge"

-- Might have been at one point but I saw the guitar up close and took tons of pics. Both pickups are T-Tops; I saw the "T" with my own eyes.

"I read that during the War to Joshua tree era he had a semour duncan quarter pounds ssl4 and another place it was a dimarzio fs-1 in the bridge because he wanted more gain when he used distortion".

-- I've read the same but those appear to have been short lived experiments and were done before Dallas was there. Seems that the stock type p'ups were re-wound and installed. By Joshua Tree he began experimenting with more high gain guitars like the custom-made Danvel Nelson Stratocaster-type guitar seen in Rattle And Hum ("Where the Street Have No Name"). This went a bit further during the Lovetown tour when he used three (red, a yellow, and charcoal finish) Clapton Strats with golden lace sensors.

"...even that he uses the reverse side of the herdim picks most of us learned it for amnesta."

-- Actually, I learned Edge used the reverse side of the pick from the 1985 Guitar Player feature article. Chances are, that is where Amnesta learned it. So Edge did tell us that much. And the bit about the pick is about the only thing that Amnesta got right.

Thanks for the info.I read somewhere that in the cream LP custom he has a dimarzio in the bridge.for the custom bridge pickups I read that during the War to Joshua tree era he had a semour duncan quarter pounds ssl4 and another place it was a dimarzio fs-1 in the bridge because he wanted more gain when he used distortion.I currently have lace sensor holy grails because I said I'm gonna buy the most expensive ones that sound vintage and that the original sound of the 70's strat sounded more like a 54's strat than the ones thes put stock in the reissue ones and the bridge is 11,5k output but are quiet and The Edge prefers to have the original tone and noise.Fender doesent have custom shop mid 70's ones.The kinman have the name on the pickup.I need a pickup that fits in a black cover to look like the original.I hope someone can find the accurate info for all of us taht are OCD to try to get the most accurate that whe can get:hyper:.I dont understand why the Edge or Dallas Shoo dont share the info with anyone even that he uses the reverse side of the herdim picks most of us learned it for amnesta.com.

Thanks for the 1985 herdim info.I know about all the strat info you just explained to me did you know that the Danvel Nelson Stratocaster had emg sa's I found taht info serching on the net and that the War/Joshua era strat had a standard tremolo not a vintage and a grafite nut either he modified it after that era to put it back stock or it the second 70's strat that he listed in the guitar world sept 2005 that I actualy have.But if you can get accurate info on the exact specs thats what Im looking for.I joind this site because I can't find anything anyware and Im not a professionnal cyber surfer.What I meant by sharing the info is that fender has so many artist series and even David Gilmour finally accept to make one and has a book dedicated to it.I would understand keeping a secret the tech info on the explorer but event that would be shame because most of us will never acheive the star status and all we have are dreams so to finally share the info or making one with fender would be very appreciated for fans that want a piece of that era and feel like they are part of U2 and playing with The Edge.All I want is to have the closest to the original thats it.Thanks for your help.Do you know if Dallas Shoo has a facebook or my space or twitter account or aplace to contact him because I cant find one.Maybe if someone could contact him and hask him why we could solve the problem.Why do you say amnesta does not have any info at least he made the effort to explain and help the way tthat he can all the delay setting are correct I listend to the songs before I play them and it took me almost a year to create the where the streets have no name sound with min Pod xt.I have a very good hear and maybe just a few youtube video come closed to it.Im very specific and patient and pay very good attention to details with everything I do.If you can find anything new I would appreciate it.

Dallas doesn't have a social network site that would make him available to the masses.

Why say the amnesta site is inaccurate? Because a lot of what there is inaccurate. I won't go in to point by point what information is incorrect as that has been covered in various U2 and U2 guitar related forums for ages.

A number of folks on U2 Recording @ yahoo groups - post audio and video clips that you might find helpful to learn and obtain U2/Edge guitar tones. There are a number of knowledgeable folks there. There are a number of tribute band Edge's as well as those that are merely Edge fans and want to learn to play/sound like his playing.

As for Edge having a signature guitar, that is his call and not that of the manufacturer that might want to make one. Thus far, Edge has been resistant of the idea.

Thanks for the 1985 herdim info.I know about all the strat info you just explained to me did you know that the Danvel Nelson Stratocaster had emg sa's I found taht info serching on the net and that the War/Joshua era strat had a standard tremolo not a vintage and a grafite nut either he modified it after that era to put it back stock or it the second 70's strat that he listed in the guitar world sept 2005 that I actualy have.But if you can get accurate info on the exact specs thats what Im looking for.I joind this site because I can't find anything anyware and Im not a professionnal cyber surfer.What I meant by sharing the info is that fender has so many artist series and even David Gilmour finally accept to make one and has a book dedicated to it.I would understand keeping a secret the tech info on the explorer but event that would be shame because most of us will never acheive the star status and all we have are dreams so to finally share the info or making one with fender would be very appreciated for fans that want a piece of that era and feel like they are part of U2 and playing with The Edge.All I want is to have the closest to the original thats it.Thanks for your help.Do you know if Dallas Shoo has a facebook or my space or twitter account or aplace to contact him because I cant find one.Maybe if someone could contact him and hask him why we could solve the problem.Why do you say amnesta does not have any info at least he made the effort to explain and help the way tthat he can all the delay setting are correct I listend to the songs before I play them and it took me almost a year to create the where the streets have no name sound with min Pod xt.I have a very good hear and maybe just a few youtube video come closed to it.Im very specific and patient and pay very good attention to details with everything I do.If you can find anything new I would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom