so what u2 songs can you play on guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh, fun! I'll go in album order...some songs I've never bothered to learn, due either to to the fact that a.) there's extremely little guitar in them b.) they're too tricky c.) too lazy to learn.

Boy

I Will Follow; Twilight; An Cat Dubh; Into the Heart; Out of Control; The Ocean; A Day Without Me

October

Gloria; I Threw a Brick Through a Window; Rejoice

War

Sunday Bloody Sunday; New Year's Day; Like a Song

UF

Pride; Wire; Bad

JT

WTSHNN; Bullet the Blue Sky; In God's Country; Exit

R&H

Van Diemen's Land; Desire; Angel of Harlem; All I Want is You

AB

EBTTRT (DIGITECH PEDALS ROCK!); One; UTEOTW; The Fly; Acrobat

Zooropa

Zooropa (more love for Digitech!); Numb; Stay

Pop

Discotheque; Mofo (just the high pitched dive-bombing parts, thanks to my pedal); SATS; Gone; Wake Up Dead Man

ATYCLB

Beautiful Day; Stuck; Elevation; Walk On; Kite; In a Little While; Wild Honey; Peace on Earth (just learned the chords, so I don't know if this applies...); New York (prefer the live version, so that's the one I play)

I play a mean ONE,, or basicly the entire Achtung baby. I am definitely not saying that its easy to play what so ever, but effects really do make the big difference when you are just HOPING to do any of those songs justice...
The only way to truly play a decent version of the songs out of Achtung baby, is to go for the live versions...

Anyway, then you can´t do the campfire thing playing the songs out of Achtung baby ( Except a minimalistic ONE ), hehehe... You need your band

But ofcourse only The Edge can ever pull the songs off like they were meant to sound.. The rest of us are just pretending,, In some ways..

Though its great songs to play

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride In The Name of Love
Bad
All I Want Is You
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Kite
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

I'm going to try and get my guitar instructor to teach me Where The Streets Have No Name because I can't play it out of the best of 80-90 book. I think he can help me.

I've only been playing for a few months too :wink:

GibsonGirl:

You seem to really like the Digitech pedal. A friend of mine has the Rp50 or something and I find that it absolutely sucks tone and gives you a digital sound.

What model do you have?

In the vein of GibsonGirl:

Boy: I Will Follow / Twilight / Out of Control (Slane Castle version) / The Electric Co. (live)
October: Fire / Is That All
War: Sunday Bloody Sunday / New Year's Day (live) / Like a Song
UF: A Sort Of Homecoming / Pride / Bad (studio and live)
Joshua Tree: Streets (studio and live) / Haven't Found / WOWY (studio and live) / Bullet the Blue Sky (studio and live) / Running to Stand Still / In God's Country / Exit / Mothers of the Disappeared
Rattle and Hum: Van Diemen's Land / Desire / All Along the Watchtower / Angel of Harlem / Heartland / God Part II / All I Want is You
Achtung Baby: EBTTRN / One (studio and live) / Until the End of the World (studio and live) / WGTRYWH / The Fly / Mysterious Way (studio and live)/ Ultraviolet / Acrobat / Love is Blindness (studio and live)
Zooropa: Numb / Lemon / The First Time / Stay (studio and live - Boston DVD)
Pop : Discotheque / Mofo/ If God would send his Angels/ Staring at the Sun / Last Night on Earth / If you wear that Velvet Dress (studio and live) / Please (studio and live) / Wake up Dead Man (studio and live)
ATYCLB: Beautiful Day / Elevation / Walk On / Stuck in a Moment / Kite / In a Little While / Wild Honey / New York(studio and live)
HTDAAB: Vertigo / Miracle Drug / Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your Own / Love and Peace or Else / All Because of You
Other: The Hands that Built America / Ground Beneath Her Feet / Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me / 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (live Irving Plaza) / Do They Know It's Christmas / Party Girl

Those are all the songs I can play completely...I'll admit it; I need a life. :|

My motto is play it right or don't play it. I go for note-for-note playing and for exact timing; cheating your way doesn't help you in any way. :huh: :silent:

It's sorta fun to play along to songs on the stereo, but over time I've learned it's boring to play alone. I wish I knew someone else who loved U2 and could play along with me. Jamming would make me sooooo happy. :( :sigh:

Last edited:
I play bass, so here's what i can do on bass:

New Years Day
Elevation
Vertigo
Gone (thats tough)
EBTTRT
An Cat Dubh (that one's fun)
Gloria
IYWTVD
The Wanderer
Out Of Control (Im learning this one right now)

depends what mood am in. I can play most U2 songs and sing them. BUt i would rather listen to them because i prefer to have a go at writing my own tunes. Am crap at covers i wouldnt wanna ruin a U2 song.

Phalanx said:
GibsonGirl:

You seem to really like the Digitech pedal. A friend of mine has the Rp50 or something and I find that it absolutely sucks tone and gives you a digital sound.

What model do you have?

I have the RP200. It comes with a Whammy option, and that's the only thing I like about it. :yes: With regards to tone, it's utter crap. But I don't want to shell out loads of cash just to get a Whammy, considering I really only need it to play two songs.

Oh, and you can get a pretty good "Zooropa" effect with the RP200.

Boo to all of you with your excessive talent...

I've been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I think i'm relatively good for someone who's only been playing that length of time, but I wouldn't honestly say I can play any U2 songs properly,and it's not for want of trying - I just can't get any of them to sound right (I don't have any effects pedals, which doesn't help), i'm obviously doing something wrong somewhere.

Maybe someone can recommend me a U2 song which sounds good with a 'clean' tone or on an acoustic, then I can at least get someting in my repertoire - everyone knows U2 is my favourite band so I always get asked to play 'some U2 song', and I just have to say I can't :(

Seeing as the guitar archive has been brutally murdered, If anyone has any good tabs could you send them to me at the.sage@gmail.com. thanks :)

It's hard to play many of U2's songs without a pedal because Edge used delay durring the 80's and strange distortion durring the 90's. Try All I Want is You or Kite on an acoustic.

I find Coldplay has some good stuff to play if you don't have any pedals :wink:

I'd love to be able to play All I Want Is You, one of my all-time favourite U2 songs, properly, but the power of the song comes from the electric guitar, which of course doesn't sound right without effects... :rolleyes: (I play a rather uninspiring version on my electric)

A good acoustic U2 song is Staring At The Sun. It's also a great starter song. Give that one a go. :)

I can manage a shitty version of the Fly:| yea shitty is the word, although i can play Desire and a bit of Walk On...........

I'm enjoying trying to play songs from the new album. I think I figured out the solo to All Because of You just by ear, which made me pretty happy about my abilities as of late lol. People hate it when they ask me to play a song on guitar and I always play a U2 song. They're the only songs I really care to know anyway :)

Anyone can play All I Want Is You. It's three chords and the truth. That aside, I still love playing it. I've learned more than a few and forgot a lot of them. I regularly play:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where The Streets Have No Name
All I Want Is You
One
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

I can do chords for most, but in terms of tablature:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Miracle Drug
SYCMIOYO
Electrical Storm
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
In A Little While
Kite
Wild Honey
New York
Sweetest Thing
Discotheque
Gone
Last Night On Earth
Dirty Day
Stay
The First Time

All AB
Most JT

All I Want Is You
Angel Of Harlem
Bad
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
I Will Follow
Out of Control
Another Time, Another Place

it should be noted that i'm a complete guitar whore :)

Last edited:
i've been playing for just over a year, and so far i can play sunday bloody sunday, pride, new years day, angel of harlem, all i want is you, elevation, vetigo and some of beautiful day (which i can never make sound right :mad: )

I've only been playing for about half year but so far I've learned SYCMIOYO, Crumbs, One, Stay and parts of Electrical storm and walk on

Miracle Drug, Sometimes you Can't Make it on Your Own, Gloria, I Will follow, Streets, Electrical Storm, Vertigo...

I'm a newbie...

The Sage said:
Boo to all of you with your excessive talent...

Maybe someone can recommend me a U2 song which sounds good with a 'clean' tone or on an acoustic, then I can at least get someting in my repertoire - everyone knows U2 is my favourite band so I always get asked to play 'some U2 song', and I just have to say I can't :(

Desire, mate - plus it'll help you speed up w/ chord changes.

I'll email you a word document. . .

Back
Top Bottom