So, how good musicians are they? Also, Bono's voice question for singers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If we really wanted to, we could all take turns linking footage on youtube of every jackoff with a guitar and too much time on their hands running up the fret board as though they are the next big thing. I'm sorry though, as I'm just not impressed by the guitar olympics.

Inevitably, U2 have written some of the most enduring music of all time, music that, as Bob Dylan put it, will be listened to forever, regardless of whether or not anyone can figure out how to play it. What goes down on tape is a record of what they wanted us to hear. Edge knows we don't want to here Yngvie Malstrem when we throw on a U2 record (thank Christ) and I know I'd much rather listen to an Adam Clayton groove than four minutes of Victor Wooten's bass wankery.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you go around judging something for what it isn't, and what it doesn't want to be, then of course it's going to fail in your eyes.

I pulled the same trick on an orange just an hour ago. It was easily the worst apple I've ever had. Great orange though.

But here's something for your consideration. Slash, of Guns N' Roses fame, is credited as being an incredible guitarist. I agree. I own every album he's recorded, whether it's Velvet Revolver or Slash's Snakepit, I've heard it. At the end of the day though, I have never heard him do anything that is without a question better than Edge's solo on "The Fly." The compositional styles are different enough to strike up a never ending debate, but at the end of the day, I don't believe the detractor's have a "smoking gun."

Of course, not every U2 song is "The Fly" but it certainly does prove what Edge is capable of, if that's what he wants to do.

However, every bootleg I've seen of Guns N' Roses, Slash fucks up more times than I can count. Meanwhile, every bootleg I hear or see of U2, Edge is damned near perfect every time, in most cases better than the original versions.

On top of that, Edge has proved time and time again how versatile a player he is. Every couple of years, Edge changes his playing style, from the faux glam of Achtung Baby, to the industrial rock of Zooropa, to the raw rock playing of Pop, followed by some of the greatest pop rock guitar parts ever written. And even in these gross generalisations, his contributions are diverse offerings, moving from genre to genre, mood to mood, style to style.

Slash on the other hand seems to have simply evolved from raw rock n' roll to rawer rock n' roll. I'm not shitting on Slash, as I still respect him as a player, but inevitably I'm not impressed by the progress he's made in the last 20 years.

When I consider those factors, I know which one I consider to be the superior guitarist.

Back
Top Bottom