So, how good musicians are they? Also, Bono's voice question for singers - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by am22884
I think there is more to being a muscision than just playing lots of notes. Theres a lot of bands out there that play really fast complicated solos and it just doesnt have any structure as a song. For me it's not about playing as many notes as you can, rather the overall sound and as a band, I don't think anyones on their level.
yes, but i dont think anyone would argue if edge did some "proper" solos on the next album.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 PM
I think they're all great within the context of U2, but even Edge would probably struggle being thrown into any other band.

They all do what they need to do, and that's all.

tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #23
Refugee

U2 are certainly four parts that come together to make this extraordinary thing. And in the entire U2 canon, they each have their shining moments.

EDGE: The Fly, New Years Day, Pride, etc.
ADAM: Seconds, IGWSHA, SYCMIOYO
LARRY: Mofo, UTEOTW, Like A Song
BONO: ISHFWILF, SYCMIOYO, Pride

Take a song like SYCMIOYO – the way the instruments work along and within one another, never overpowering the other ones, is an amazing feat. Top it all off with a heartfelt, powerhouse of a vocal from Bono and you have something you can dissect with your ears over and over again.

They’re all master in their own field. Compared to others, maybe not so much, but what they do…they do well.

And Bono’s a tenor.
Rafiennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #24
Babyface

Local Time: 01:07 PM
One of the reasons why I love U2 so much is because of their signature sound. Being a musician, I'm attracted to anything that sounds unique, and lets face it, there's a lot of "generic" music out there that sounds the same. No other band sounds like U2. The reason for this, is because of the way they play their instruments. While not flashy like Van Halen or some classic rock, U2 makes up for it in their sound.

Larry for example, has admitted many times that he doesn't do drum solos or flashy stuff because he can't. Drummers often find this a weakness, because often they're too darn cocky and full of themselves to not be right up in the mix showing off. (I know because I am one) They just can't stand to do a simple 1 and 3 rock beat. However, from experience, I can say that the most important thing for a drummer to do is to keep time like a metronome, and thats EXACTLY what Larry does. Have you ever listened to Green Day? Even on their studio albums their tempos are up, down, up down and live its even worse. Listen to Larry live and what do you find? Solid as a rock, a breathing metronome. Why is that? Well for one thing U2 has backing synth tracks to many of their songs, which require Larry to play to a "click" track that he hears in his monitors. This is what 90% of other bands don't, and cannot do. It is very difficult, and Larry has to be given major props for it. For another thing, Larry keeps things relatively simple, so he doesn't distract from this mix. If you know drummers, than you know that the time they drop the beat is usually in the process of a drum fill. Its better to do a simple solid drum fill and stay in tempo than to to a flashy one and speed up.
Larry also has incredible instinct and dynamics and is great at accenting. He also has great finness. Take "Blinding lights" for example. During the verses larry is playing 16th note single strokes on his snare drum, but accenting on the 2 and 4 of each measure. Most people just hear the 2 and 4, but if you listen closely you can hear each 16th note in between, being played at precise volume so as not to distract from the beat. It has a wonderful filling effect on the song. Larry also does this on Streets and tons of other songs, sometimes accenting other notes as well.

Having said that, he is sometimes too predictable in my opinion. Also, he often lets his pinky fingers dangle off the drumstick, which is not a correct technique. But once again, he is mostly self taught and he still pulls some sweet grooves. Take "please" for example. It showcases both larry and adam, and the groove they pull off is nothing like any other song I have ever heard. Larry plays triplets in between each measure with a RLL sticking, which is more of a jazz sticking and is less common in rock drummers. For those of you who are interested, Larry plays Paiste Cymbals (which are by far the most expensive), specially designed Pro-mark drumsticks that are comparable to a normal 5a model (smaller than most) and he plays a yamaha kit with an australian made Brady snare drum. He uses Remo Pin stripe drum heads on his rack tom and 2 floor toms and has 2 auxilary cowbells.

As far as Edge goes, some people say he is amazing, and others say he is not. I agree with the former. Edge is somewhat of a "anti" rocker - read his interviews in guitar player magazine and you'll get a good idea of what he likes. He doesn't care for noizy and "self-gratifying" guitar playing, aka Eddie VanHalen and a lot of classic rock. This is one of the reasons why he usually keeps his solos more melodic instead of fast.

What he really enjoys is the specific tones that can be made from a guitar. This is of course what he is amazing at. The Edge can play one chord and you know its him just by the way it sounds. And I'm not talking about Delay here - I'm talking about tone. All of his guitars, and amps are vintage instruments and most of his effects are as well. This is one of the reasons why his tone is so good, he only uses the best equipment. For those of you who are interested here is what I've found out about what he uses:

Guitars:
A lot of vintage strats, telecasters, les pauls, a rickenbacher, and taylor/gibson/breedlove acoustics.

Stomp boxes:
Ibanez TS9 Vintage Tube Screamer
Digitech Whammy
Boss floor tuner (in case he needs it)
Dunlop Cry baby vintage wah
Boss Vintage power driver
Boss vintage compressor sustainer
(non-vintage) line 6 tonecore tap tremolo
Big Muff USA Made
Vintage Dopelganger
And a few others that I haven't been able to identify.

Rack effects:
-Custom made dual line6 distortion modelers (non vintage)
-4 Delay units, 2 used for a long delay, usually a dotted-quarter note and the other 2 used for a short delay, usually a 16th note
-and a butt load of compressors and stuff that i can't identify.

However, all of this equipment won't make you sound like edge. Edge is an extremely rythmically precise guitar player. A lot of guitarists can't pull off all the delay and effects edge uses because they don't play as rythmical as he does. A lot of his playing is kind of "half lead-Half rythm" which is another part of his signature sound.
He uses Herdim picks backwards to have a "grating" effect which partly gives him his chimy sound.
However, all of this isn't to say that edge can't bust out a screaming solo - listen to Bullet on their different tours, especially on the latest tour where he's transformed it into a blues solo, almost with a completely clean tone (ie, no distortion). Edge can be fast when he wants to.

The thing I love most about edge is that he plays music on his guitar, not notes. Thats what he's good at. I would rather listen to the guitar solo in miracle drug 1000 times over instead of Eruption by Van Halen. As short and simple as it may be it still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Edge also has a perfect backing voice, and in fact could be a better lead singer than many bands already have. I definitely don't think Edge would struggle in another band.

A lot of people underestimate the importance Adams playing in the band. Most bands have riffs by the guitar with base chords from the bass guitar, but in many songs, like "mysterious ways," "please", "kite" and countless others Adam is actually playing the riff, with edge on the chords. It gives the song such a unique feel. Adam is a "groove" factory, not a speed or slap factory like flea. He's great at what he does.

As for Bono, he is the greatest front man of all time. He has an incredible range - most people pay attention to how high he sings, but don't forget how low he can sing! what about the first verse to "velvet dress?" ever tried to sing that? Bono is able to sing notes as low as E and even D - equivilent to the lowest string on a Drop-D tuned guitar. Thats Bass territory, not tenor! When Daniel Lanois was receiving a musical award (i forget which) Edge and Bono sang "danny row your boat to shore" (or something like that) that was so low I didn't think it was them until I heard them talk afterwards. As far as Bono's guitar playing goes, the band and their producers joke about trying to not let him play guitar (see HTDAAB DVD) but he really is a very good rythm guitar player. I wish he would play on more songs!

So if you're still reading this I'm impressed because I've written a freaking novel. I apologize, but this is my favorite subject.

Never underestimate how talented U2 really are - music performance is about the music, not the riffs or speed. How do you think U2 has become the greatest band ever? Its their song writing and musicianship thats got them there.

If you're interested, you can check my bands web site out which has 5 songs that I play guitar and drums on (the drummer was out of town.) Edge heavily influence the solo in our song "once again". You might enjoy it. And I don't mean to advertise, I only want to share some U2 influenced music.
doubleudoubleudoubleu-dot-cityofashburn-dot-com
or
cityofashburn on myspace.
drumu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #25
The Fly

Great Post !!!

I agree with all you wrote above !!

Specially , I love this part:

Quote:
Never underestimate how talented U2 really are - music performance is about the music, not the riffs or speed. How do you think U2 has become the greatest band ever? Its their song writing and musicianship thats got them there.
And...

Some people need learn more about U2, before to bash the band with silly and false arguments.
DarkAcrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAcrobat
Great Post !!!

Some people need learn more about U2, before to bash the band with silly and false arguments.

So, just because people have something negative to say about U2's abilities as musicians, they "need to learn more about U2," then? Nice. I suppose owning every U2 album, many audio bootlegs, tonnes of books and live footage from almost every one of their tours makes me very uneducated about U2 as a band.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep - she can go to Interference to find them.
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Adam's bass teacher would lead me to believe he is far more capable of what he shows. Also, from interviews from Adam I've read and heard, sounds like he would like to play more, different time signatures, not do 4/4 all the time. Bono repeats this in that Michka book. You can' t always do everything you like in a team situation like a band.

He even plays a lot more with his fingers instead of a pick on the prior 3 albums, I mean it could mean he's more comfortable at doing what he does, but the general feeling seems to be, fingerstyle is trickier/a bit harder, than playing bass with a pick.

Pick vs. No pick, is kinda the Pop vs..___ of the bass forums I read at.

Adam isn't the best bassist out there, I know that, he's too modest to even joke about it, but he's not the worst one either. If being "perfect" for your band is a dig, it's not the worst.

Even Edge doesn't bust out 10 minute solos, nor "guitar Olympics" as he put it. If the lead guitarist doesn't do that sort of thing, why would the more low key bass player?

Seems to me, the most known, top tier bass players, are often times the lead singer/songwriter as well. That's gonna change the dynamics of the band somewhat.

Sting is more known than Andy Summers.

Les Claypool, actually I don't know the names of the other members in Primus without googling.

Then again, in ranking lists, even the best bassists are not gonna be as known as the best guitarists. I could be wrong but I think more people know who Jimi Hendrix is than Jaco Pastorius.

"Fitting your band" and "playing to the songs" is not exactly a crime. Looked down at, sure, but it is just an opinion just like saying so and so is mediocre.

Some would say you're not a good musician if you can't read music.
thrillme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

And...

First, I'd like to thank GibsonGirl for calling this thread to my attention.

Next, could you please point out the "silly and false arguments"? Since when does having a dissenting opinion mean someone is uninformed?

Really.
WildHoneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I love the band and all but seriously some of you put the band on a pedestal and think they're greater than any other musician. It's ridiculous.
U2Girl1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 07:07 PM
U2 is overrated and talentless.

end of discussion.
Windmilllane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #31
Refugee

Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

So, just because people have something negative to say about U2's abilities as musicians, they "need to learn more about U2," then? Nice. I suppose owning every U2 album, many audio bootlegs, tonnes of books and live footage from almost every one of their tours makes me very uneducated about U2 as a band.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep - she can go to Interference to find them.
Sorry, if my last statement was misunderstood, I was not referring to GibsonGirl, or anybody who have different opinions than mine, really I was pointing towards people like Windmilllane , who only made that silly comment without give good arguments.

BTW, Windmillane, let me to know what bands you like, I can rip them too.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 06:07 AM
i know i'm not windmill lane but here are some bands i like that you can rip off -

Kaiser Chiefs
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Gelbison
Youth Group
The Living End
Fraz Ferdinand
Travis
The Flaming Lips
Secret Machines
The Beatles
Jeff Buckley
John Mayer
The Arcade Fire

yea you get the point but go ahead
DignityPassesBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #34
The Fly

Ok, thanks, you has been very fast to answer.

Kaiser Chiefs = Sucks
The Killers = Sucks
Snow Patrol = Sucks
Gelbison = Emmpfh ?
Youth Group = Eeer ?
The Living End = E ?
Fraz Ferdinand = Sucks , sometimes
Travis = Makes me sleep,, zzzzz
The Flaming Lips = Excellent, underrated
Secret Machines = Great band too
The Beatles = OVERRATED
Jeff Buckley = No , thanks
John Mayer = No thanks
The Arcade Fire = Overrated, bad histeric male vocals, however they got some good things.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ok, thanks, you has been very fast to answer.

Kaiser Chiefs = Sucks
The Killers = Sucks
Snow Patrol = Sucks
Gelbison = Emmpfh ?
Youth Group = Eeer ?
The Living End = E ?
Fraz Ferdinand = Sucks , sometimes
Travis = Makes me sleep,, zzzzz
The Flaming Lips = Excellent, underrated
Secret Machines = Great band too
The Beatles = OVERRATED
Jeff Buckley = No , thanks
John Mayer = No thanks
The Arcade Fire = Overrated, bad histeric male vocals, however they got some good things.
You have terrible taste.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #36
The Fly

My favorite band is U2, no other band can to touch them.

If this is a good sample of my tastes, I 'm very proud of my terrible taste !

Anyway, thanks, you are so kind !!

Wait, .... you wrote terrific, or terrible ?, let me read again....

Old 04-12-2006, 06:22 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 06:07 AM
lol i was expecting something like that
DignityPassesBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
My favorite band is U2, no other band can to touch them.
Really? I didn't know it was a fact that U2 are the best band on earth. I better go throw away all my other albums by other bands because, you know, they can't touch U2.
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #39
The Fly

You can do anything you want buddy !!

Me too.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #40
The Fly

My thoughts on the original thread title...

Bono, spectacular voice, especially once it was 'tamed' (Post- war album)

Edge: Not the most talented guitarist in terms of speed, versatility , usage of the fret board etc... But arguably one of the most creative, his use of delays and reverbs still boggle my mind.

Now the rhythm section...

I would say larry and adam independently are not spectacular at any stretch of the mind. But combined they are among "the best rhythm section" in the world.. i cant remember where that was quoted...

Whatever it is they do is signature of the U2sound. I bet larry or adam could bust into amazing solo's... (look at gloria and THBAO) 25 years of playing will allow you to do that. but quite frankly it wouldn't blend with the edge and bono's techniques.

Flea is amazing cause the style of music they play caters to bass flexibility, likewise with Rush. If U2 decided to put an amazing drum/bass mix they could do it, but it would be uncharacteristic of the band.

djfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote