Rickenbacker pickups - can anyone inform about them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I don't know too much about Rickenbacker tho i've been a fan of Edge and following his rig for quite a while; it seems very niche in a guitar community and not a lot of people use them, it seems like. Even if they do, they eventually stop using them, like Johnny Marr (actually he stopped using most of his guitars that he had in the 80s and 90s after he got his signature Jag).

anyway, I know that Rickenbacker come with 2 different pickups historically, which are now called low-gain and hi-gain pickups. Low-gain is from early 60s, I believe and have low output, thus creating that signature jangle-y tone. the latter is made after Pete Townsend asked for more power and volume, I heard, and have more output (naturally.). I have heard that these traditional hi-gain and low-gain pickups are hum buckers but is it right? or are they just single coils?

Also i have heard about toaster pickups. are they same as low-gain pickups that was equipped to Rick guitars before hi-gain came out?

sorry it got long .

EDIT: I learned that actual humbuckers were actually equipped to some model of Rickenbacker, like some basses or 650C.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom