Rickenbacker: 4 year wait.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
Hey all,

Has anybody here dealt with Rickenbacker?

I considered buying a brand new 330-12 recently, until i found out that its up to a 4 year wait with a minimum 50% deposit to order any guitar from them brand new.

This is not cool, and what makes it worse is that second hand prices are more then brand new prices because of this fact.

Similar experiences? Different experiences?

Discuss....

I've heard this from other people as well. I think it's because Rickenbacker is so much smaller than most manufacturers, even though they're one of the "classic" guitar makers.

It's not easy to even get a copy of one in the US.

The wait to order one used to be 9 months. In 10 years that has changed to... apparently 4 years. Yikes.

Ricks are still made in the US. The economy is fecked. Ricks are beloved but they are a bit more specialty so the demand is less than Fender and Gibson's of the world.

Lower demand = lower production.

That said, you CAN find new 330/12 strings at various guitar shops and online.

One to check with? Check:
Best Prices and Selection for Rickenbacker, Vox, Hofner and Gretsch

If they don't have it in stock presently they will soon enough. I bought a 6-string Rick from Pick of the Ricks and got a GREAT deal.

One can find a Rick 33/12 fairly easily. The issue might be will you find it in the finish you want? Maybe yes and maybe no. Mostly you will find Jetglo (black), Mapleglo (natural maple wood finish) and Fireglo (sunburst like finish).

So the only need to special order a Rick from a shop is if one is looking for a specific finish or some other custom bit.

One can find many great deals on e-bay too - and yes for NEW Rickenbackers. Many guitar shops sell online and on ebay.

Give it some research and I am sure you will find a great Rick 12 string to meet your jangly Ric dreams.

:up:

mmmm yeah i see what you mean, but most online stores dont ship rics outside the usa, that doesnt help me living in australia :(

mmmm yeah i see what you mean, but most online stores dont ship rics outside the usa, that doesnt help me living in australia :(

But there are Rickenbacker distributers in various continents.

Try:
Such as: Rickenbacker electric guitars

Perhaps there are more.

I hear ya that they are harder to find in Australia and many online distributers will not ship out of the US. I know that is true of Pick of the Ricks. That is a Rickenbacker thing and not a online dealer policy. Rickenbacker is VERY picky about who and how their products are sold.

Good luck and happy shopping. I do think that with a little time and patience you will find that Rick of your dreams and NOT have to wait 4 years.

:up::up::up::up::up:

But there are Rickenbacker distributers in various continents.

Try:
Such as: Rickenbacker electric guitars

Perhaps there are more.

I hear ya that they are harder to find in Australia and many online distributers will not ship out of the US. I know that is true of Pick of the Ricks. That is a Rickenbacker thing and not a online dealer policy. Rickenbacker is VERY picky about who and how their products are sold.

Good luck and happy shopping. I do think that with a little time and patience you will find that Rick of your dreams and NOT have to wait 4 years.

:up::up::up::up::up:

funny you should post a link to that particular guitar shop, they are the ones that told me four years to begin with, which was then confirmed by others.

its funny cause that guitar website listed (until just recently when all prices on musical gear went up) the brand new 300-12 at 3300 or there abouts, the only second hand one i could find in the country was a 2003 model in perth for 3499......

sucky lol

There are people with some 1970s era Japanese knockoffs of Gibsons and Fender that would beg to differ.

And they can beg! (kidding) But keep in mind, it's not the 1970's. Most of the knockoffs aren't being made in Japan with attention to detail. They are made in Chine, Korean, Indonesian and other places with no attention to anything other than attempting to pass off their inferior almost-the-product.

I've seen the A/B comparison's of the knock off Gibson's vs. REAL Gibson's on the Gibson newsletter... the knockoff stuff cuts corners all over from bad finished to shit wiring...

It's like Payless shoes... when you PAY LESS you GET less.

Someone bought that Ric on ebay for US $1,301.66!!! Nice price for a 12-string Rickenbacker. Good deal indeed~!

a friend of mine picked up a dead mint 12 string 330 in fireglo on craigslist for less than 900. he sold it for about 1300 a few months ago, no idea why. he said the action was too high on it, which seems weird for a rick, but jesus 900 bucks what a steal.

Back
Top Bottom