Restringing like Jimi Hendrix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Pac_Mule

Refugee
my friend has a right handed stratocaster, but he's lefthanded. What are all the things you need to do to string it like ol Jimi? The biggest thing im concerned about is the little cap at the end of the fretboard where the strings rest on....

i think you're talking about the nut. yeah, it would probably be a good idea to take that and turn it around. you'd also need to put a new peg for the strap on the opposite side of the neck

I respectfully disagree. I wouldnt do that. Reason is the nut is filed angled so the string fulcrums as close to the first fret as you can get. This is crucial for correct intonation. Turning the nut around you will have a deadened sound as the file angles are now backwards and the guitar wont intonate correctly. My opinion this is just a fad. Jimi did this not because he thought it sounded cool but because back then Left hand strats were far rare and it was just easy for him to take a right hand and flip it upside down. Fender tried to capitalize on this. The changes are string tension (low E is farther to tuning peg) Bridge pup is now angled different. (gives a tinnier low E and a bassier high E).

I dont know it all nor am I trying to argue,I just think you will not be happy doing this and have trouble with your guitar. Happy 4rth

M

The headstock being upside down doesn't seem to be a problem. Some people put a lefthanded neck (or at least headstock) on their righthanded strat because they like the sound.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't suggest it either, as the other problems Mick listed are to be taken serious.

If you search well you can get a lefthanded strat for quite a good price.

Or you could have your friend take his guitar to someone who knows how to repair and maintain guitars and let him adjust the guitar for left handed use. I don't think replacing the nut and adjusting the guitar should be that costly if you take it to a good pro.

Back
Top Bottom