Rab fuzz elevation ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danb00

Babyface
which compagny does rab fuzz pedal or whatever edge uses for elevation, I've been looking everywhere to find this.

I'm looking for that wah wah sound at the begining of elevation vertigo tour version, could somebody give me a link to the compagny or more info please and is it the only thing you need to reproduce this sound or it's a combination of pedals/effects

Thanks

The Rab Fuzz was rehoused by one of U2's tech's Rab McAlister.

The actual pedal is a Kay Fuzztone. They are no longer made, but you can find some people who make clones (or happen to score a used one on ebay).

I have a clone and it is dead on for the intro for Elevation. It is the only pedal you need for that.

I know on the Vertigo Tour that he also uses the Line 6 Dm4 Pro prior to the Kay Fuzztone and I know for the Elevation Tour he also used a Electrix Filter Factory also prior to the Kay Fuzztone. Don't forget he used a Dunlop Wah also for the intro.

Last edited:
Well yes and no. The Kay is used on the Vertigo tour specifically for the intro which he never played on previous tours. During Elevation it was the influx mix into full band so he never actually did that pumping action we see on Vertigo. The Filter Factory in my opinion is/was used for the heavy wah during the ending outro on the album version. The verse was the ampeg Scrambler which sounds like a fixed rabb a bit and the heavy bar chord is I think the Pod. The DM4pro was made just for Edge and didnt come about until pre Vertigo. It was made because he used like 11 of them during the making of the album and Line 6 decided to make him 2 for saving presets.

Mick

actually on the dm4 pro, I saw on the Vertigo Chicago DVD that while he is pumping the wah, the DM4 is in use.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/cpoxon/2831e19c.jpg

In that pic you see Edge pumping the wah and on the skrydstrup controller to the last bottom to the left you see that the light is on. That light shows that the DM4 is being played. and I know it's the DM4 because I saw a CD on guitar world that showed The edge's whole skrydstrup and on the effect that was placed on the skrydtrup was the DM4..

That wah is the Kay fuzz. thus the name "Rabb" fuzz. I own the Kay and its a plastic orange unit. he had it rehoused. I also own a clone which is rehoused in a wah pedal.

Vertigo tour is a bit different. Maybe it was set to boost/comp which is essentially clean.

M

mick3b1g said:
That wah is the Kay fuzz. thus the name "Rabb" fuzz. I own the Kay and its a plastic orange unit. he had it rehoused. I also own a clone which is rehoused in a wah pedal.

Vertigo tour is a bit different. Maybe it was set to boost/comp which is essentially clean.

M

but. . . Edge's ground control only has a volume pedal for shimmer and a Dunlop wah pedal. . .

The Rabb Fuzz, or Kay Fuzz, looks like a wah pedal as it is rehoused in a wah pedal. He is not using a wah pedal on the intro on the Vertigo tour. He is, rather, rocking back and forth on the Rabb Fuzz.

I have a clone and I can nail the Vertigo tour version while rocking it back and forth. There was never a wah pedal used for the intro, it is the tone sweep of the Rabb Fuzz (Kay Fuzz) that you hear. The Kay Fuzz does a frequency sweep, much like that of a wah, but sweeps the frequency of it's own fuzz.

you mean the original or the rehoused?

The original is sometimes on ebay.....(if you're lucky)
The rehoused I think you got to have the original one and go to some custom show and I guess they can do it for you..

btw why did edge get his rehoused? to play a trick on everyone that we all thought it was a dunlop wah..:no: this is one very cruel world!:shifty:

The original is made of orange plastic and, as those who have the original know, is not the most sturdy pedal. To live up to the demands of touring, it was rehoused in what I think is (was) a Rocktron Wah pedal.

The Dunlop and Rocktron look the same, but I have read many places that it is a Rocktron Wah housing. After all, it doesn't really matter as the guts in it are the Kay Fuzz.

I have a rab fuzz kay fuzz wah rehoused in a dunlop wah it was made by a guy in the usa who called himself vox clone on some forums the pedal that he sen to me is spot on check out the sound on elevation on youtube search for 2u2 and elevation should be there.

Back
Top Bottom