Question about the bass on songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
ok, i am fairly illiterate in the technicalities of music and i have 2 qs: in ebttrt, what is the instrument that plays towards the beginning of the song? its very distinct - right during the starting notes, theres a sound that comes and goes - is that a regular electric guitar or a bass guitar?? right before bono starts singing?

and, i still don't knw what the bass sounds like exactly - are there any u2 songs where the bass is distinct?

i hope my qs make sense! if not, ask me and ill try to explain better :)

Thats an electric guitar but put through some special effects in EBTTRT.

Bass is the 'low' end of the sound. In WOWY its the intrument that comes in at 8 seconds into the song. That 'low sounding tone'.

Have you seen U2 go home? When they start to play new years day, you're staring at Adam playing bass.

yes i watched the slane castle dvd again, and i looked out for new years day. but... i strained my ears to catch the sound of the bass.... couldnt :( i only heard edge playing. i saw adam playing but didnt hear anything...

the low "duh, duh, der, duh"ect. sound at the very begining after the 4 drum stick clicks or lisen to the chicago dvd before bono sings the stories for boys line when u see adam playing, all u hear is the vertigo bassline and a few cymbals i think

Last edited:
Ok, check out WTSHNN, you'll hear the organs at the beginning, the electric guitar will then come in (that 'tinky tinky' sound) and then at 1min 10 seconds the bass kicks in. Its that 'heavy' sounding rhythm.

so the bass is more the vibration type of thing in the song... i mean it doesnt really have a distinct "sound", right?

Bass carries the song. Its the 'feelgood' component of the song. It also can hold melody.

check out: When two hearts beat as one. You hear the electric guitar first, and then the bass comes in and rocks your socks off.

cheers,
Aaron

ok, let me listen to 2 hearts beat as one now :) if i cant detect it, ill admit theres something wrong with me ...

i heard wowy, and at 8 seconds, there was a throbbing kind of sound, - is that a combo of drums and bass or just bass?

and yes, djfeelgood - i thought it was more distinct on wtshnn, the low 'heavier' sound just before the drums.

can you recommend more u2 songs with distinct, good bass? i need to hear it more suggestions... before i can pinpoint the sound myself in the songs.

Please has a very distinct bassline. . . on Last Night on Earth, Edge plays a little riff at the very beginning, then theres this big 'whoosh' sound, then Adam plays a cool bassline by himself

rig yer dvd player thro a good stereo system, look for the bass control, turn full up and then ya will know. Check out some days are better than others for a more upfront bass line. Sdepends on how good yer music system is,some systems you cant tell there is bass in the songs.

"seconds" have a distinguishable bassline. If possible, listen to the studio version of "vertigo" just through the left speaker (the guitar is cut out, just bass and drums). And although it might not be a u2song, queen's "another one bites the dust" has a clear bassline

Memorable U2 basslines

Try Until the End of the World at the beginning of the song starting at about 0:08.

Gloria also has a bass solo from 2:55 to 3:20 that's pretty distinctive.

:crack:

Yeah. Um. The less I say, the better.

Have a listen to Deep In The Heart. There's some good bass there. Hopefully, you'll be able to pick it out.

i dont see how anyone can miss the bass in NYD

its like the only instrument that gets played for the first 10 seconds or so

and its the only guitar in the whole intro, as edge is playing piano

Babydoll said:
can you recommend more u2 songs with distinct, good bass? i need to hear it more suggestions... before i can pinpoint the sound myself in the songs.

I don't know if it is distant, but I love the bass line in Silver and Gold

Chizip said:

theres bass in WOWY?

No Chizip. There's no bass in it at all. I can't hear anything that sounds like bass. I mean, I watch my DVDs and see Adam doing something during WOWY. But I just can't hear it. :sad:

GibsonGirl said:

No Chizip. There's no bass in it at all. I can't hear anything that sounds like bass. I mean, I watch my DVDs and see Adam doing something during WOWY. But I just can't hear it. :sad:

Perhaps your listening range rolls off right where the bass frequencies start.That the only possible way you can't hear that. Thats odd

ShackDaddy41 said:
This thread sounds like a Saturday Night Live sketch -

"Well, I am looking right at Adam and the bass, but I hear nothing."

thats a classic.

I'm sitting here in disbelief that someone doesn't know what the bass is.

joe8pizza said:

Perhaps your listening range rolls off right where the bass frequencies start.That the only possible way you can't hear that. Thats odd

Or maybe it's just thinly veiled sarcasm. :wink:

I'm with Celticfc. Really, I just can't fathom the concept of not being able to hear bass in a song. It's usually so prominent. And as someone who plays bass these days, it's even a little insulting to hear people saying they have no idea what it sounds like. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom