Pride solo (stupid question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louriec

Babyface
Hey all,
So I know this is dumb but no one has really covered this. For the three notes Edge hits after the main riff (frets 11-12-14 or whatever it is), do you all pluck each note at the speed of the song or is there yet another delay trick I need to learn? Everytime I think I'm going to have to strum quick or finger pluck a song quickly, I later learn that there are delay techniques so that I don't have to. I've been struggling with this part of Pride I struggle and everyone else makes it look easy...thanks!

Come on! Every heavy metal guitarist who's only played for a few months knows how to do it, surely we can? :wink:

Have you tried playing it with a delay set to this?

There's 1 delay. This is the most likely signal path:

Guitar -> Guitar split to A/B ->

A -> main signal (no delay) -> Amp A (panned slightly left)

B -> 418ms (1-2 repeats) (85% of initial signal) = 3/16 @ 108 bpm -> Amp B (panned slightly right)
no dry signal (delay only) with modulation

You could emulate this well with just 1 amp: simply have the main and delayed signal together. You
won't get the bigger stereo effect of course.

This sounds dumb, but I'm a newbie to this: How do I have the main and delayed signal together...

Most delay pedals/units have a knob allowing you to set the mix between dry signal and the delay. On a Boss pedal it's usually the most left one named Level. Unlike a distortion the level doesn't control the volume as the pedal doesn't change the sound, it adds repeats to a dry signal.
Turn it fully down, no echo, turn it fully up, only echo. On some other pedals it's called mix or echo level. Unlike

40% wet/60% dry works best for me. I find that the repeats sound best when softer then the dry signal. To much effectlevel and you leave U2 territory and you venture into Radioheadland.

I get a nice delay setting at 467 ms. It could be my pedal, but at 418 ms the echo's seem to muddled together with the dry signal, but that's what I get with cheap equipment.

Anyway, Edge plays the solo for each measure (I believe) as:

11-12-14 11-12-14 11-12-14
-----------------------------------------12--

Play the B note at the end of each measure (live versions that is). Just time it to the beat.

Yea that's just the problem I'm having. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to finger pick as fast as it sounds but it looks like that's the only way to do it

Finger pick? I'm thinking you've just got the term wrong.

Alternate picking helps with riffs/solos/licks like these. i.e. Don't hit the set of three notes all three times using only down picks. Pick down, up, down.

Would you believe that alternate picking is harder for me than finger picking all down picks quickly

No. When I first started playing alternate picking was like speaking a different language....well thats exaggerating a bit

I heard that Edge actually only plays one note at the start of each song and all his effects do the rest.

No wonder he looks so relaxed when he plays!

Seriously tho this is the trouble with trying to learn U2 songs you end up trying to master effects rather than the guitar.

For erxample

"Set your delay to 412ms and pan through two amps one with the dry signal on with the delayed signal"

What?

Sit down and learn how to alternate pick, learn how to play the guitar and then use effects to enhance your improved playing.

Dont forget edge is a fantastic guitar player!

Take away all his gadgets and he will still sound like edge his style and sound is in his fingers & brain. His effects enhance it (a lot)

My advise for what its worth.

Learn u2 songs so you can strum along with them. If you want to form a tribute band then worry about the sound untill then dont bother.

Learn hoe to play the guitar first

uh no, Edge doesn't play only one note... ofcourse his delay helps with the notes, but he does play them all... check videos for that!

yeah.

but you still sound pretty shitty trying to match up with edges effects.

Thanks for the requests. I figured out a way to play it without having to just alternate pick the whole thing. I just use the effects and time it right so that it's easier to play and I still get the fluid rising notes sound

When I said Edge plays only one note I assumed fellow posters would get the humour intended.
:huh:

Having played guitar for 29 years, and been a huge U2 fan for 20 of those, I am fully aware of Edge's effects and how he uses them.

It just amazes me when I read of guitarists who are obviously just getting to grips with the fundamentals of playing their instruments worrying about delay settings etc and trying to sound like Edge when truthfully to sound like him you need to do this.

Example. Im gonna play Pride

Im off to play my 1960's Fender Strat (Tuned down a semi tone) which I strum using herdim picks. This sends my chiming notes through two TC Electonic delay units colured with a touch of chorus split left & right into my two vox Ac30's which have just enough gain to break up into a beautiful valve induced distortion.Left vox at 75ms delay and right at 418ms with mics placed 9.25" from right speaker inclined 10 degrees to centre. With a total distance between each mic of 5 feet. Then I will use my immpecable machine like timing to ensure my playing is bang on tempo for every note I hit.

Whats next in the set? Oh yes the Fly

1972 Gibson Les Paul Custom and Randall Amplifiers for that one. Right where did I put those?

He He
:lol:

Get my point?

The pursuit to sound like Edge is a fruitless quest. One that if you are succesful will gain at best an aproximation of his sound.

Good luck to all those who try!

Me?

Im off to get my Les Paul plug it striaght into My Marshall amp and play some nice loud AC/DC songs with no effects!!!!

I just bought an interesting dvd, guitar masters, the edge, and there the teacher plays
11-13-14 real quickly and then for the 12 on the b string he picks it really fast 3 times. (I guess it's three, so you'd think it's the delay)
He already plays the song with his delay, so he does that extra.
Hope this helps, it sounds good though....

Guys its pretty simple. Just pluck 11, hammer on to 12 and pluck 14. No need for alternate picking, and u dont need to get to complex with delay settings, just twist the knobs till it sounds good...
I somewhat agree with mackemlad about learning how to play before trying that stuff. But seriously mackelmad, ur such a dreamer.... They way you write about it, its so clear u dont have any of those guitars or that equipment

You only need to play the 11-12-14 line once, the first time around. The next two are the delay carrying it. Example:

11-12-14-//11-12-14-//11-12-14-//11-12-14//
(play it)//(delay)//(delay)//(delay)

And on the last line just play it over and over and over without the pause after the 14. Sounds especially cool if you strike a couple extra notes and leave one or two out here and there, they start to blend into each other by the end of the line. :up:

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll see what I can do to record some kind of example.

Back
Top Bottom