Pride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
My band is considering covering Pride and my guitarist wants to know is it an easy song to play, are the tabs on the internet reliable and what kinda effects are needed. The study of edge's delay says a 418 m/s delay will do so can anyone confirm this. Any other info on playing the song would be useful

Thanks

well, the album Pride is 108bpm (I believe)
which would make a 3/16th delay (Edge's fav setting and likely the one used for Pride) .4166 or .417, so someone had .418, that's close enough.

Considering you're probably using a live drummer and no click track, he's not going to be playing exactly 108bpm anyways, unless he's a freak of nature, that's mostly why they use click tracks, aside from the light and video sequencing, it keeps Edge's delay sounding more sharp.

so I'd play the album for the timing, then adjust off of the drummer around .410-.420 and play it by ear. It is important that the drummer plays close to 108bpm or that delay will sound sloppy.

just an FYI
.409-110bpm
.413-109bpm
.417-108bpm
.421-107bpm

so you have some room to play with, most of it won't be totally noticable as long as you can get it pretty close.

That's why you just need to know where to start and go from there. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited:
Another way to pull this off is to have your guitarist mute the strings and give everyone the rhythm by strumming until he gets the proper timing of the delay, give him a couple seconds to get the rhythm down so the delay is snapping back in the pocket, and let the drummer click to that, then go into the opening harmonics from there.

Pero said:
hmmm
lost you there buddy

Just trying to illustrate that it's all about timing.
The delay settings don't matter if you're not in time.

I know people who say "the tab says the delay is .440 but it doesn't sound right!!" never giving thought to the tempo of the song/beat. So I was just trying to help along, if it was needed.

dmaleads has a great idea with the muted strings, in the live setting that might be the best way to go.

Hey this is Hornbag's guitarist. Seeing as our equipment might be unsuitable (fot Pride) can anyone tell us is Elevation an easy song to play and are tabs on the net good for it?

Another trick would be to use a tap tempo pedal connected to your delay. You can buy one for the Boss DD-## pedals for about $20. Also any decent multieffects pedal (eg. POD XT Live) has a built in tap tempo pedal.

Elevation is super easy, and most of the tabs are right. Effects-wise, if you're limited, you can get away with just a Big Muff pedal, and a tremelo pedal. If you doint have the muff, then some serious-ass distortion with what you have. If you dont have tremelo, then clean will be ok for the middle break. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom