Pre-orders for 2016 Fender Edge Stratocaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless the neck is too fat or too thin, I wonder which it is, chances are a $2000 Strat will probably make any owner happy. While for Gibson that kind of money is just above entry level :wink:, with Fender its top of the line.

I wonder how many of the new owners are going to swap the white pickguard for a black one though. :wink:

Edit:
I think that they are selling in the $1,000.00 to $1,600.00 US

That's a surprisingly sweet price. Color me impressed.

In regards to those flattened pole pieces, I pulled a couple of Texas Specials (neck and middle) from one of my builds and as that guy on that Fender forum suggested, flattened the shit out of all the poles, including the low E.

20160118_222010.jpg

I can't say it sounds radically different, I would have to do an A/B test for that, which is kinda hard to do now. I do get the impression they're a little louder now, but even that could be chalked up to them now being at a different height. The most important thing however is that it worked and I didn't ruin them. I have to say I do find the uniform flat poles to be more visually pleasing. I never really liked that whole staggered thing.

I'm sure it does bring tonal changes. But considering you're probably busy for half an hour taking the pups out, modifying them, putting them back in, then tuning all the strings again, chances are it will be kinda hard to properly hear the differences. All the more as there will be subtle differences in the height of your pickups. It's really hard to create an exact same test A/B test condition as the best A/B test involve playing the same phrase over again, using the exact same setups. Which is kinda hard to pull off doing this.

The G&L design on the other hand allows for really quick on the fly modification. The pickups will be on the same height, no invasive work to take them out. If there's one way to quickly hear the differences that would be it.

The G&L design on the other hand allows for really quick on the fly modification. The pickups will be on the same height, no invasive work to take them out. If there's one way to quickly hear the differences that would be it.

oh wait normally I need to take the pickup out to change the magnet height? wow that's a lot of hassle

Hard to push them down if they're still in your guitar. Although technically it might be possible. Impossible though to raise them if need be. Which will happen if you start pushing them. First time will always be too far as you need to exert more pressure as they're kinda stuck. After your first push they will be looser so you can adjust more easy to the desired height.

But yes, you have to remove all the strings, the pickguard and desolder the pickups to do the pushing. Unless of course its a completely new set. Then its just pushing. :wink: It's no biggie if you're used to swapping pickups. If not its understandable if it seems daunting.

Just making sure, Edge's Ssignature strat is gonna come out from Fender US and not from other places, right? Meaning it's not like Clapton who has both CS and regular US model (or some other artists with US and Squier? i don't know about that).

If what EO has said is true and its between $1000 and $1600 then its probably not being made by the custom shop but the regular US factory. And there's nothing wrong with that I would think.

If what EO has said is true and its between $1000 and $1600 then its probably not being made by the custom shop but the regular US factory. And there's nothing wrong with that I would think.

Well either way I can't afford Edge's guitar so I just wanted to see whether what I've seen on the webpage is all Edge has.

Edge's strat and Deluxe amp are now on Fender website, finally (strat is about 1800 bucks, and amp is 2400 dollars. Im sure it'll be discounted so E_O's price prediction will be mostly accurate).

Fender also announced 'off-set' telecaster which is basically the hybrid of jazz master and tele. Kinda like what Nash's been doing for a while? It's kinda interesting to see Fender giving some twist to tele. I wanna see newer Jazzmaster, though. They're underrated

Last edited:
Even if it did. Would we care?

Apparently this is the case it comes in. Sweet.

s-l1600.jpg

Even if it did. Would we care?

I'd care a little, out of loyalty to a man who has been an enormous musical influence on me. Not enough to get into a mud fight with the haters though. Haters gonna hate regardless. I'd just make fun of them in my mind.

I secretly care immensely

Well I wanted more novel features but it's probably just me.

Out of curiosity, what kind of novel features would you have liked?

Yah, on that part though I agree. I wouldn't buy it if I had the money.

If I had the money, and I wanted a good workhorse Strat, then I'd get it. It's got locking tuners, which I like, two point tremelo, which I like, large headstock, which I like IMMENSELY, high output bridge pickup, which I like. Lot's of stuff that I like on this guitar. It could use some kill switches though. Any guitar becomes more awesome with kill switches.

I like uniqueness in these sig models, even these wacky mods. may be just for those particular artists; it's kinda hard to pin down what I wanted to see specifically. I thought it could have different neck than regular "C" neck and custom pickups (well if it were Edge-only pups we could've not known his tones completely, so I guess Im just being a cry-baby here). Or even different finishes/color scheme?(I loved his black guard&body strat with rosewood board he used on BTBS during IE tour). Even some active circuits for extra boost/low-end enhancement could've been a good feature for covering all the tones in U2 songs.

But still, Im glad that Edge probably used this stock spec rather than crazily modyfing his own signature guitar. I know Jeff Beck doesn't use stock Jeff Beck model; his pups are custom-made so that it's stacked and noiseless without being low-output (I'm sure Fender noiseless was pretty quiet). and obviously bridge is set to float, but it's just a set up.

yeah, I wish I can afford one now, but it's also true that more Edge sig. may be coming in the future so I'll (patiently) wait.

Later MSRP number I heard was $1,899.00

Street might be cheaper? We'll have to wait a bit longer to know for sure.

It's from their Artist Signature Series. It's not a Custom Shop.

Clapton and CS Clapton where two different animals.

The Clapton are Artist Series not CS. They were made to replace his agog 'Blackie'. In that, the signature series has had a few changes over time.

The one limited edition relic'd copy of his 'Blackie' Stratocaster was a a clone, not necessarily a signature. series item. More of a pricey (but accurate and nice) clone of his original.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like uniqueness in these sig models, even these wacky mods. may be just for those particular artists; it's kinda hard to pin down what I wanted to see specifically. I thought it could have different neck than regular "C" neck and custom pickups (well if it were Edge-only pups we could've not known his tones completely, so I guess Im just being a cry-baby here). Or even different finishes/color scheme?(I loved his black guard&body strat with rosewood board he used on BTBS during IE tour). Even some active circuits for extra boost/low-end enhancement could've been a good feature for covering all the tones in U2 songs.

Well, you have to keep in mind that most guitars that famous artists use, and which form the basis for signature guitars, tend to be pretty normal standard guitars. Occasionally an artist may install something really weird, like really weird necks, or strange gizmos, but more often then not the changes involve mostly the basics, pickups, tremelos and tuners. Sometimes the changes are mostly cosmetic, like different color pickguards and or knobs. In general Edge tends to be quite boring with his guitars. They seem mostly vintage stock models and if he has any wacky guitars its because they were already installed that way by their previous owners or because people send them to him.

But still, Im glad that Edge probably used this stock spec rather than crazily modyfing his own signature guitar. I know Jeff Beck doesn't use stock Jeff Beck model; his pups are custom-made so that it's stacked and noiseless without being low-output (I'm sure Fender noiseless was pretty quiet). and obviously bridge is set to float, but it's just a set up.

I've never understood why artists do that. Either release a signature guitar that is an exact clone of the guitar that's become famous, or do one that's exactly like your current specs. If you don't want to do that because you're an extra special snowflake deserving a one of a kind guitar then don't insult your fans with selling them something which isn't.

Extra hatred points for signature guitars which are like a basic entry model with all the cool features stripped out but for which you are charged extra if you still want them. Yeah, why would I NOT want those cool extra features? That's the whole point of getting a signature guitar in the first place. Manson Guitars is king in that approach. All their Matt Bellamy guitars start with a basic stripped own entry model and for which they charge extra to install all the cool stuff. Like the Fuzz Factories and the MIDI screens.

Even Eddie Van Halen has his own model (wolfgang from EVH line) of guitar with kill switch equipped. and he uses it in pretty amazing way.

I always install two kill switches on my guitar builds. A push button for Jonny Greenwood style kill switching, in which you basically interrupt the signal to get that stutter. And a Les Paul toggle switch for Tom Morello style kill switching. In which you basically turn the signal off and then flip it rapidly to activate it again.

I totally agree with hatred towards artists who never use guitars with same specs as the production model (unless there custom pieces). but it's hard to hate Jeff Beck.

I actually love the fact that Edge didn't go to NAMM convention like typical artists who announced their signature models for this year (I've seen St. Vincent and James Valentine from Maroon 5 attend NAMM for promoting their sig guitar).

Yeah but Edge is in a league of his own. And I mean financially. If he wanted too he could probably buy a small country. This whole signature guitar things is probably more of an honor thing to him then a big money maker. That deal with the Apple release of SOI made U2 what? 200 million alone? Compared to that this signature thing is small change. Those Maroon 5 guys on the other hand could probably still use the extra cash and thus still have to whore themselves out at every available opportunity/

Yeah but Edge is in a league of his own. And I mean financially. If he wanted too he could probably buy a small country. This whole signature guitar things is probably more of an honor thing to him then a big money maker. That deal with the Apple release of SOI made U2 what? 200 million alone? Compared to that this signature thing is small change. Those Maroon 5 guys on the other hand could probably still use the extra cash and thus still have to whore themselves out at every available opportunity/

Yeah I was kinda surprised that Fender guys are not trying to market Edge sig wildly, either. I mean, they're more into promoting their American Elite with better features and nice, novel finishes (like blue burst). I guess they need to try hard as other companies like MusicMan or Ibanez try to go into that "high-end strat/tele" market that Fender (and some boutique companies like Suhr) had occupied. I have been really impressed by new MM line of guitars, though. Looks new but traditional enough for me to like them.

Yeah I was kinda surprised that Fender guys are not trying to market Edge sig wildly, either. I mean, they're more into promoting their American Elite with better features and nice, novel finishes (like blue burst). I guess they need to try hard as other companies like MusicMan or Ibanez try to go into that "high-end strat/tele" market that Fender (and some boutique companies like Suhr) had occupied. I have been really impressed by new MM line of guitars, though. Looks new but traditional enough for me to like them.

Gotta be honest, the marketing for the new Elite series has worked on me. I'm seriously close to pulling the trigger on a Thinline Telecaster. Absolutely beautiful looking guitar, going to be bugging my local GuitarCenter to see when they get one in stock.

yeah all of those floods of Strat-type guitars kinda makes me wonder what to get, I almost get lost in options, kinda. All of those Elites are beautiful, though. I need to save money for them, I guess. but, again, I am so impressed by MM lines.

Last edited:
Will fender be offering these "Lefty" do you know and is there gonna be a "custom shop model" the Edge Deluxe amp looks like a winner.

Will fender be offering these "Lefty" do you know and is there gonna be a "custom shop model" the Edge Deluxe amp looks like a winner.

I don't think there will be left-handed model for Edge's guitar. and I don't believe he's gonna go for full-on CS version, either. I mean lots of times CS version is basically the different version from regular US reincarnation.

Only CS version I can possibly see is if they do a clone/relic, like they later did with Clapton's 'Blackie'.

If they did, I'd probably cost big money like the relic'd Clapton.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom