Playing vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
On the main riff to Veritgo, how are you only meant to play 3 strings?

Watching Edge play, from his actions he cant just be htting 3 strings on the strokes - surely all the strings are barred and hitting probably all of them?

Here's how I play Vertigo (I think it's pretty close, I've studied Edge's technique on it inside and out).

The main riff is the D5 to E5 slide, of course. I use my 1st finger for the base note and my pinky for the 7th fret note, and I only play those two. I don't bother with the third string.

So when sliding I lagato-slide from the D5 to the E5 and pluck the E5 twice, and repeat.

Then when going from the A5 to G5, I incorporate strings 6,5, and 4 in normal fingering fashion. I hit the A5 three quick times (a quick down-up-down), strike once HARD on the Gsharp5 (either up or down), then finish with a quick down stroke on the G5.

cheers, ill give it a go.

From the videos ive watched he looks like he is using almost all his fingers on the slides.....on the E to D looks like his 1st, middle and pinky. On the A to G it looks like an F shape chord being slid down.

Is that completely wrong - i know its not the 'official' tab, but thats what it looks like he is playing?

Amazing that whats easy to one person can be difficult for another. And vice versa.

As for what Edge seems to be doing on the videos, since the hand can move quicker then the eye, the eye can be tricked. I used to try to figure out things by looking at the videos. Hours I've spent with the Red Rocks tape and what I came up was nowhere what I later learned he did. Unless Edge is right in front of you, explaining what he does and playing the riff slowly to demonstrate it put more faith into your ears then your eyes.

when you barre the D and E, the middle finger tends to go over and help the index finger. that leaves your pinky and ring finger available. use the pinky to play the 7's for the D and 9's for the E.

yes

It seems to me that its yeah, just a case of what I call "blocking" the strings D5 and E5. What I do is use my index finger just like a regulaur F shape barre chord (with obviously the a string roots) but only put pressure on the tip of the root note and then the rest of my index finger acts like a block and stops the rest of the strings from ringing, and then it sounds to me like he is playing normal barre chords A downwards.

Last edited:
He mutes the other strings in the way he plays those chords. It's not that hard. Use the tip of your index finger to mute the low E and the bottom part of your index finger to mute the high E and B strings. It's seriously not that hard.

can someone share what effects (and what amounts of these effects) are on vertigo.
my band is playing it on new years eve
i want to perfect the sound

Back
Top Bottom