Playing Live U2...Background sounds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marley

Babyface
How do u guys generate the backgound sounds when you play live, like the organ in Streets, the beginning of UTEOTW, synth riff in WOWY etc... I was wondering if there was a foot switch activator that would start the program. I'm not looking for a casio sounding midi effect , but for the real deal sounds Can you link it to the computer and download the sounds you want played??? Any help would be great!!

My guitar rig:
Fender american standard with texas specials
Roland JC-120 and Vox valvetronix 30 and linked through delay system- boss dd-20
Boss sd-1, boss comressor/sustainer, boss flanger, and boss phazer all in a pedal power supply board. old wah-wah and I found some heridim picks!!!!

Marley, most tribute bands that use backing tracks make them on their own. Some are ripped from the originals...like the beginning of Until the End of the World and intro to Beautiful Day, etc.

This guy has some great backing tracks on his site: http://u2recording.tripod.com/backing.html

Unfortunately they have drums and bass too, but it gives you an idea of how close some people can get to the originals by making them themselves.

As far as how they are triggered, it vary's. For instance, my band just uses an ipod right now and we play the traks from the stage and just have the soundguy put the ipod into a channel on the board. The traks are played on the mains and stage monitors so we can follow along. We are going to get into sequencing more and more and will most likely start using something different soon.

Some of the "Edge's" out there do have their sequencers triggered from their pedals, some of the bands have their drummers in control of the sequencing. It just depends on how they want to do it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes it helps thanks!!! I jam to his backing tracks at home sometimes and they are fun. But I wouldn't feel right using any of his stuff without permission.

But making all those background sounds on your own...yikes..I don't think I have the equipment to that.....lol.

I have an ipod mini..if I can ever get the damn thing to work on my xp/home windows I'll be stoked.... I could put a 5 sec delay infront of it so I can work it at the soundboard and get back and ready for playing guitar..

If anyone want's to share or trade something for them, please contact me.

Marley said:
How do u guys generate the backgound sounds when you play live, like the organ in Streets, the beginning of UTEOTW, synth riff in WOWY etc...

Streets and the beginning of Until The End Of The World are played by sequencers, but there is no synth in With Or Without You.

That synth-like sound that fades in at times during the song, is actually created by his shimmer setup. He uses a volume pedal to fade the shimmer in and out.

Edit: Sorry I just realised you probably meant the arpeggio in the beginning of With Or Without You. You are right, that is a sequencer (as well as the drums in the beginning) :reject:

Last edited:
Marley, most tribute bands that use backing tracks make them on their own. Some are ripped from the originals...like the beginning of Until the End of the World and intro to Beautiful Day, etc.

This guy has some great backing tracks on his site: U2 Patch Archive

Unfortunately they have drums and bass too, but it gives you an idea of how close some people can get to the originals by making them themselves.

As far as how they are triggered, it vary's. For instance, my band just uses an ipod right now and we play the traks from the stage and just have the soundguy put the ipod into a channel on the board. The traks are played on the mains and stage monitors so we can follow along. We are going to get into sequencing more and more and will most likely start using something different soon.

Some of the "Edge's" out there do have their sequencers triggered from their pedals, some of the bands have their drummers in control of the sequencing. It just depends on how they want to do it.

Hope this helps a bit.
I really wish that site worked!

All sequencers with click tracks for drummer...same way U2 does it.

We use an 8-track recorder. Fostex D-108.
Works very well. Click is mostly for the drummer but for me too when I
have to start alone like Fly, MW or All I want is you.

By the way, maybe somebody can help me out with the
"bells" that ring through With or without you?
We made ones by ourselves but they sound rather odd...

Back
Top Bottom