Playing like The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpsreports2424

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Okay so I have two crate amps and a boss delay pedal. I am trying my hardest to sound like the edge but its extremely hard with that being all I have. I also have that whammy pedal for EBTTRT and HMTMKMKM but all I want is to have to bright sound that the edge has in bad, streets and so forth. Is there another pedal or a rack I should buy or should I just get rid of those amps and start from scratch even though itll cost a lot more money than I want to spend!

Thanks!

-z

and p.s. I know how the whole delay mm and bpm works, I'm just looking for suggestions on how to sound better like him, whether I need to buy more pedals or what to get that BRIGHT sound. I know about the korg A3 but again I would like to just save money to just get a bright sound along with a delay to sound like bad and streets.

pick up some Herdim pics. Its a cheap expense and packs a punch when it comes to getting his sound.

Mick

Hmm, Edge uses quite a "trebly" sound, usually on my VOX VT40+ i would turn the Treble to around 2 o'clock, with the Bass and Middle being around 12 o'clock.

First off, i would say the Vox AC30 is a core element of Edge's set up, some Vox amplifiers (like mine) have an AC30 preset, so you don't have to spend the full amount!

I have herdim picks, the problem is just getting a better sound out of my amp because it sounds too flat to me.

Play around with the amp settings until you get the sound you want. And also just in case you don't know all of the classic U2 songs are tuned to E flat, like Bad,Streets,Real thing (zoo tv), Hold me,One, Still have not found etc.......

Hmm, Edge uses quite a "trebly" sound, usually on my VOX VT40+ i would turn the Treble to around 2 o'clock, with the Bass and Middle being around 12 o'clock.

First off, i would say the Vox AC30 is a core element of Edge's set up, some Vox amplifiers (like mine) have an AC30 preset, so you don't have to spend the full amount!

You can also buy the Vox AC30 head phone amp for 50 bucks!

Vox amPlug AC30 Guitar Headphone Amp at AmericanMusical.com

Thanks! I started to find his sound a lot more with the amp settings you gave me. Should I get an extra delay pedal since I know he likes sometimes using two?

Good stuff!
It's evident that he does, but i still haven't got to grips with controlling two Delays, plus he doesn't use them on every song (as far as i know).
Some Multi-Effects pedals like the TC Electronic Nova System that i have gives you a Dual Delay option, which is brilliant, if i knew how to use it!

So you've got the Herdims down, got the amp settings down... my suggestion is to try an Overdrive pedal, if you don't own one already or aren't getting good drive with your amp already. Edge likes having a bit of drive there. Good option is a TS9 Tube Screamer. I don't own one but my Line 6 M13 models one and it sounds great. I do own a Boss BD 2 Blues Driver and it does good Edge sound.

Back
Top Bottom