Perfect Pitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
Does anybody here have perfect pitch? If so what was the best method to develop it, was it hard to learn? I think I have somewhat relative pitch, but I think it would be awesome to have perfect pitch, for songwriting etc...

Do you all think The Edge has perfect pitch?

He must have at least 99.99% perfect pitch in order to be so anal about his guitar tones. Normal guitarists wouldn't have the Twin Towers full with effects behind him. He could have half of what he uses and most people wouldn't even notice it live.

thrillme said:
I saw an ad in the Guitar World mag with Edge on the cover, for something to teach perfect pitch.

:shrug:

Really.......... can you rememebr the magazine?

I dont k now if I have perfect pitch, but Im damn close, what I do, is I remember in my head what key songs are in, and if someone told me to sing E, I always think of " metallica's nothing else matters" then If someone says sing A, I think of chili peppers " breaking the girl, its all the first notes to songs, so I use that, and most of the time, im right on the money.

macphisto23 said:

Really.......... can you rememebr the magazine?

I have the magazine, but there's an ad for this program that claims you can be taught perfect pitch. The ad has a long story about how the guy developed this program, but I'm not sure about it.

It's probably in other guitar magazines too.

discothequeLP said:
what is perfect pitch?

It's where you can hear a note in your head and instantly know what note it is and where to play it on an instrument. Also useful for a band situation, as just by hearing the other instruments you can instantly know what key the song is in.

And whoever said that perfect pitch cannot be developed, I believe it can. At least there is a website called www.perfectpitchpower.com that claim that if you pay them they'll give you the tools to develop it ;)

Why wouldnt you be able to learn perfect pitch? I found a collection of 8 cd's that teach you how to develop perfect pitch, and one of the first things he talks about this exact thing. That it is not something you are born with but something you can develop with enough hard work. I will give it a try and see what happens.

To me, any company that claims they can help you develop perfect pitch is like those late night infomercials that tell you that you can lose that big gut by using their miracle machine 5 minutes a day. Sure, sucker!
Maybe you can train your hearing to listen better. Maybe if you were already close to perfect pitch with training you could reach 99.99%. But like with most people working themselves out to death in the gym going for that unreachable six pack you will never reach perfection. Thats why its called ideal perfection.
I know perfect pitch is very rare. I've seen to much professional guitar tablature books that weren't always on the money. So clearly the people who did them didn't have perfect pitch. A publisher would want to have his books to be as close to the music as possible. Since they aren't it seems obvious there aren't that many perfect pitch people to be find. The training methods will undoubtably help you to become better, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't help you to go all the way.

I apparantley have perfect pitch according to my parents...born with it I guess since I come from a very musical family in the way that we all play SOMETHING...in my case, a few things...when I was young we were sat at an Irish bar in spain listening to people singing old irish tunes on the karaoke and I was just saying stuff like 'Isn't he not actually singing that note in tune??' and my Dad was all....:ohmy: "what the hell?!"

It's possible to train "your head" to perfect pitch, that's no myth! It's all about how much effort you put into it, it takes quite alot of practice and very much listening. A guitarist-friend of mine had to learn the pitch of household stuff (vacumers etc) at a school he attended, to develope his mind when it comes to pitch recognition. This was ofcourse done without any other tools for help, they had to work logically and in the end understand what sound is. So it's possible to get very good at it.

I have a prefect pitch sense for Choral Music (I.e. the stuff that is traditionally sung in churches) and can transcribe it with 90% accuracy. Its all abou practicing. You ahve to hav esomething there to start with, but it can easily be lost. I also can if you say, sing a note (ie .e) i can give you an e, then move around it in intervals

perfect pitch is insane, my vox teacher has it, and you can walk by him and sing some random note, and he can tell you exactly what it is.

I knew a kid in High School who had perfect pitch, and because of this he was in the all male acapella group... probably by default.

The funny thing is, is that eventhough he had PP, he had one of the most excrutiatingly awful voices I've ever heard.

Perfect pitch - isn't that also that you'll never miss a note when singing a song - never sing out of key?
Not just knowing what notes you hear...?

Back
Top Bottom