Pedals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge10

The Fly
What are some good beginning pedals for getting the Edge tone? I have a Cry Baby Wah and a not so great DOD delay. And I'm getting an OD.

I've said it many times and will again. First and foremost, tone comes from your hands. So spend time playing. Tape yourself. Find the mistakes and work at it.

Listen to a guy like David Gilmour. IMMACULATE tone whether playing through his touring rig or just an acoustic. A lot is in your hands - pedals alone will not cover bad playing or make your tone. They HELP but not alone.

That said, a decent guitar and amp. A guitar that is setup well - no buzzing frets - good action. An action not too high or low that makes it difficult to play. Again, a lot of tone is from your hands. IF you are struggling, it will show (and sound).

Another often forgotten component - Quality cables. Instrument cables, pedal to pedal cables, effects to amp cables... etc. That doesn't mean you have to spend tons on Monster cable. But the vat of cheap no-name cable near the register at your local guitar shop probably isn't the answer.

Now that you are paying attention to you -- your playing -- working on paying clean and getting good tone from the playing AND you have a decent guitar AND you have decent cables AND a decent amp... For Edge-tone....A good modulation delay is essential.

The EH Deluxe Memory Man modulation had chorus/vibrato. The Vibrato section is the one Edge used.

Per The Edge, the modulation is what took the tone from 2-dimensional to 3-dimensional.

TC Electronics Flashback Delay is pretty nifty. AND it has 'Tone Print', where you can download settings. Nice. Can mock a 2290 AND does dotted 8th -- very useful for Edge-tones. $169.00

TC Electronic Flashback Delay and Looper Pedal at zZounds

TC Electronic Flashback Delay - YouTube

Eventide Time Factor is pretty awesome. Pricey but nice. $399.00

Eventide TimeFactor Delay Pedal at zZounds

It even got Guitar World's "Platinum Award" in their review.

Eventide Time Factor - YouTube

Strymon Timeline is also pretty great. And has built in shimmer (octo) too.

strymon » TimeLine – Multidimensional Delay Effects – Delay Pedal

Strymon TimeLine - Multidimensional Delay Effects Pedal - YouTube

As for OD, Boss SD-1 or a Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer are good starts for main overdrive.

Thanks E_O. I've been practicing just playing guitar-to-amp for a while so I'm getting some effects. The Flashback delay looks awesome.

I like the Flashback too. I don't have one of my own yet, borrowed a friends... but I might have to pick one up. Pretty cool.

PS - The Line 6 M13 and HD 500 are both $500.00 and both offer a lot of Edge-tones too.

A M13 and a HD500 are the same. I've owned the m13 and have a hd500 now and the hd500 has all the m13 effects and (good) amp modeling plus it has a build in expression pedal.
you can also use connect it to your computer with usb to record or edit.

easy choice i think..

and don't forget about the hd400 and hd300. also less flexible but with the same effects as the m13/hd500.

there is a comparison list on the line6 website so you can see the differences.

To get great Edge tones, a strat, a mild overdrive, a Vox AC30 (or AC15) or clone, and a Strymon Timeline will get you really close for a lot of stuff.

and don't forget about the hd400 and hd300. also less flexible but with the same effects as the m13/hd500.

Flexibility is a big difference. And if I remember correctly, you can use as many effects at the same time with the HD300 and HD400 ass the HD 500. It sounds like a big tradeoff when a little time and patience could get the HD500 will probably fit the bill far better.

Just something to keep in mind. Sometimes it is better to hold a bit longer to save and get the better item. This might be one of those cases.

And a bit of patience will save you from buyers remorse later. Best to get what is 'right' instead of merely get something 'right now'.

HD 500 can be found on the second hand market (eBay, Craigslist, etc) for around the same price as the HD400

Years ago I invested in the Boss GT-6 effects board. So essentially, it gives me all these effects (deley, overdrive, wah, etc, etc), but are they as good as buying tje single effect pedel? I assume not, but worth it more for the convience of having everything at your feet at once. Anyone have experience reproducing Edge sound on these?

If you had to get only one overdrive pedal, I'd say a Ibanez TS-9 or Boss SD-1.

Boss SD-1 ($49.00)

DV016_Jpg_Large_151339.jpg

Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer ($99.99)

DV016_Jpg_Large_150284_V.jpg

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Effects Pedal and more Guitar Effects at GuitarCenter.com.

Both rated 5/5 stars on Guitar Center's site. Both are very similar in sound.

The Boss OD-2 is a bit more compressed. I see it more as an 'in addition to' than an 'instead of', in regards to the SD-1 or TS-9 (Just my view). There is also the OD-2r. It has a 'remote' jack (to turn turbo on/off. (The remote pedal isn't included).

I actually have both the OD-2 and OD-2r. I prefer the OD-2r. Soundwise, the OD-2r sounds a bit warmer and full, to me. I don't have the remote pedal -- that can be used with the OD-2r -- works and sounds great without and I don't care about the remote option.

Boss%20OD2%20und%202R.JPG

Boss BD-2 ($99.99)

DV016_Jpg_Large_151392.jpg

Boss BD-2 is pretty cool. I recommend checking one out. It reacts to your picking attack, which is nice and dynamic. This also rates 5/5 stars on the GC site.

Edge does have a BD-2, although not in the touring rig. His was modified by Robert Keeley.

Robert Keeley Electronics: Boss Blues Driver Mod

where have you seen the edge with BD2?

• To the best of my knowledge any use would have been in the studio. I don't recall seeing it in the live rig (as mentioned).
  • The Keeley site mentions that they sold him one. (I gave the link earlier).
  • I spoke to someone at Keeley and they confirmed it.
  • I have also asked directly and was told that he does have one. Detail of any use on studio tracks was not discussed.

[QUOTE="the tourist" and a Strymon Timeline will get you really close for a lot of stuff.[/QUOTE]

How much is the Timeline? They look awesome.

The HD300 has less effects. Check carefully, which ones are missing, it might be something usful for The Edges sounds.

For me, the HD500 will be the first choice, because of the greater flexibility, and it just has more footswitches. And a standard Midi-Connection, so it can be used as a midi controller in a more complex setup. I will use it to send Prg Change messages to my midi looper, which I use for analog pedals, mostly distortion/fuzz/OD, Filters, Compressors etc. And for the Digitech Whammy4, which has a shitty bypass sound...
When everything is finished, it will work as poor man's skrydstrup system. :cute:
The greatest advantage of the HD500 over the M13 are the amp models. Think of this: You can make copies of all your presets, but with added Vox AC30 models, this will give you a complete backup system for a live concert. Even if your amp and all analog pedals get destroyed, you can still play your gig, and most people won't even hear a difference.

Back
Top Bottom