Party Girl strumming pattern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
I am a beginner guitar pattern and I cant figure out the strumming pattern for this very simple song. I have found some sites that show edges guitar riff and the 3 chords needed to play the tune but what is the strumming pattern?

It's kind of hard to show a strumming pattern online. Just keep listening and praticing.

Man, do I remember the days when I had the hardest time figuring out the strumming patterns to songs. At first I couldn't play shit from ear, I had to recite to myself "down, up, up down", etc. A good way that might help you learn is to write it out. Get the timing right for the chord changes first, maybe just try all downstrokes first to get your rythm right. Remember to keep your strumming arm doing even, time strokes, ie, not quick jabs. Hard to explain. Fluid motion. This should help you get the timing down for the chord changes. As a side note, to play along to Party Girl on UABRS, tune down half a step. A good thing to do is also count out the time. For example, on Party girl try something like "one and two and three and four and (for Bm), then one and two and (for Em), then three and four and (for A). The back to the beginning. Once you have this down then you can try to get the right strumming patterns down. The part that makes this hard is all the use of muted strings. Maybe try strumming the string muted first to get the timing, then fretting the notes as you hear them. A good thing to do is play the file in a plyer that you can select a section of the song and loop it. This way you can play a section over and over until you get it. Here is a tab I got from the U2 guitar archive. Its not perfect but you get the basic strumming pattern. I added a stroke guide above it to help you out.

Code:
  Bm                            Em
  D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U 
e-2-2-x-x-2-2-x-x-x-2-2-2-2-2-x-0-0-0-0-0-x-x
b-3-3-x-x-3-3-x-x-x-3-3-3-3-3-x-0-0-0-0-0-x-x
g-4-4-x-x-4-4-x-x-x-4-4-4-4-4-x-0-0-0-0-0-x-x
d-4-4-x-x-4-4-x-x-x-4-4-4-4-4-x-2-2-2-2-2-x-x
a-2-2-x-x-2-2-x-x-x-2-2-2-2-2-x-2-2-2-2-2-x-x
e--------------------------------------------

A
  D U D U D
e-0-0-x-0-0
b-2-2-x-2-2
g-2-2-x-2-2
d-2-2-x-2-2
a-0-0-x-0-0
e----------

I play it slightly different, and I also use barre chords instead because I find it easier to mute the strings. Try this.

Code:
   Bm       Em     A
1----2------7------5------
2----3------8------5------
3----4------9------6------
4----4------9------7------
5----2------7------7------
6------------------5------

I hope this helps, it is really hard to explain in writing.

Back
Top Bottom