Ok people lets read up here ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exit

Babyface
If any of you have read the current Rolling Stone and the article of U2's new album you will notice Bono's reason for Edge not being a solo guitarist. HE DOESN'T WANT TO BE !!! Edge is part of a band not a one-man show. With his technical ability he could smoke most guitarist these days (AKA show-boaters...AKA RICHIE !!!)

Although I do think Edge is a great guitarist, I think his reluctance to show his technical abilities as a guitarist take away from him. Is a shame that he may never be regarded as a great musician for that reason. He may only be remembered as an average musician in a great band.

------------------
I will be with you again...

Originally posted by Mr Sarajevo:
Although I do think Edge is a great guitarist, I think his reluctance to show his technical abilities as a guitarist take away from him. Is a shame that he may never be regarded as a great musician for that reason. He may only be remembered as an average musician in a great band.

I agree with you totally !!! I only hope they used his talents in a more forefront method on the new album.

In all honesty, I think it's Edge's unique musical sense that makes him great--not necessarily his finger speed, or whatever. There are much faster, "technical" musicians, but basically he's great at evoking sounds from the guitar that ENHANCE a song, rather than using a song simply to show off a lot of notes. WOWY is a perfect example--technically very easy to play, but few guitarists have the sense to leave it at that few notes. The tone is important too--it establishes mood more than any number of notes could. Ok, I'm done now.

One statement

Love is blindness from sydney.....

nuff said.

[This message has been edited by riversteed (edited 08-18-2000).]

Yes Pete I agree completely, as I'm sure we all do. Edge has the guitar down to an art. He doesn't just go off on these technical "look at me's" -- it's how he uses these notes that's so amazing. I truly think he's a genius
smile.gif

i dont know about you guys but i consider a musician great if they make you stop, stand back and listen.

so many guitar slingers out there can speed their fingers all over the shop, but really, so many sound the same.

Edge proves his greatness with every guy that gets out there and tries to do a U2 cover. Usually sounds pretty bad.

Love is Blindness is one of his greatest moments.

The Edge has no ego...and nothing to prove. He doesn't care if *he* goes down in history as a great guitarist...he cares if the band as a whole goes down in history as a great band.

However I wouldn't complain if he just kicked back and let it rip a few times...
smile.gif

Dream Wanderer

------------------
******* If this be madness, let us make the most of it!***

at times I felt that I had come a long way only to find that which I sought the most was something I had left behind.

from "Everest:The West Ridge"

Yeah, I agree. Edge does just what a song needs. If it needs a solo, like 'Love is Blindness' or 'The Fly', then he'll do one. He said in The Making of The Joshua Tree (about With or Without You) : "It could all have ended up with an affrous solo".... but the song didn,t need one.. and that's great about Edge. He does what a song needs

cheers

Back
Top Bottom