Next Fender Edge Guitar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
And now for the bigger question...

How long until we get an Edge Telecaster?

If so, would it be similar to the '66 Vertigo/Boots Tele or more like the 'California' Telecaster, with the neck position hum bucker?

If the Stratocaster does decent business, I could see a Tele happening.

Did I just hear a collective "crap, another guitar to save for"?

I suspect that his next signature is Jazzmaster with high-gain Lace pickup (Finger Burner?), and Sustainer. It's got on-board effects like delay and fuzz, and he can switch order of these effects by a flick of a switch. The body is purple burst, and it's got pearled pickguard, alongslide with Ebony fingerboard. It's got matching headstock as well

(well I'm joking so don't hate on me).

Saw some online shop's pre-order page for the strat that more or less said "it's not his ACTUAL signature guitar, the Explorer, but hey buy this, its all you'll get while he's a Fender director"

So unlike with Clapton and others they've got a hard enough job as it is selling a strat as his signature guitar.
I don't doubt they'll milk this and put another one out, though, however pointless that one may be, if the amp's anything to go by.

Whatever it is probably won't be available long after selling to some absolute diehards.

Last edited:
Well I will certainly swapped pups on my cheap squier strat just to make it tiny bit like Edge strat, but that's all i can do

Saw some online shop's pre-order page for the strat that more or less said "it's not his ACTUAL signature guitar, the Explorer, but hey buy this, its all you'll get while he's a Fender director"

Is the Explorer his actual signature guitar? I don't think so. It's become minor iconic, but even in the early years it wasn't his main workhorse. On Under a Blood Red Sky the Black Strat saw the most use. And there were tours where the Explorer barely saw any use at all. I suspect its more its cool radical looks that have imprinted the Explorer on our brains as his signature guitar, as outside metal Explorers tend to be quite rare.

So unlike with Clapton and others they've got a hard enough job as it is selling a strat as his signature guitar.
I don't doubt they'll milk this and put another one out, though, however pointless that one may be, if the amp's anything to go by.

Whatever it is probably won't be available long after selling to some absolute diehards.

Maybe, maybe they will. The price seems to be quite decent, if it has a good sound, it might be around for a while. After all, some of the other artist signature models are still around and those artists are nowhere as famous and have the same fanbase as Edge. How many Yngwie Malmsteen adapts are there still? Didn't that style of metal stop being relevant after grunge came out? Who the hell is Sergio Vallin? Is Robert Cray still musically relevant enough? People still remember Stevie Ray Vaughan had a guitar playing brother?

As for the OP, I welcome the release of an Edge signature Telecaster. If only so I would know what pickups to get for a future guitar build. :yippie:
And I hope it would be the Vertigo Tele, as that's one been around at least for a few tours. Whereas the California Tele seems to be only used a song that's not even in the regular setlist.

Although personally if we're going for a Tele that was used for obscure stuff I want the dark blue one that was used on the Vertigo tour for Discotheque. :drool:

Well, apparently, most of guitar magazines are filled with metal guitar players (at least Guitar World is). I think cover of latest Guitar World is EVH (lol); they still have tons of articles about Pantera (even though Dime isn't even alive), Lamb of God, Slayer, Yngwie (come on, as much as I respect him, he's something we should've forgotten in the 80s), and Richie Blackmore (for Christ's sake, stop). Even Zakk Wylde is getting attention for creating his own line of gear as his musical relevance fades away. So apparently, metal is very relevant to world of guitar players; i mean most of technical players are from metal (unless you're Tommy Emmanuel), and people still look up to them. Recent issues are also becoming about Djent bands/overly-downtuned prog metal-esque music with incomprehensible vocals.

So, it makes sense that even though Edge is hugely famous, he may not be all that respected amongst jealous guitarists; so that might hurt the sales somehow? (i know it's absolute bullshit but hey, we believe in tons of bullshit like "these parts make Klon sound good" or something like that). It's somewhat evident from the fact that Sonic Youth models (Lee and thurston) didn't sell well and Tom Morello is often ridiculed because he uses "too much effect"

I wish people respect alt rock guitarists more. or people with alt-rock mindset, like Edge, Johnny Marr, Lee Ranaldo, Joey Santiago, etc.

PS. I am disappointed by the fact that you guys didn't like my new Edge sig model idea

Last edited:
Well, apparently, most of guitar magazines are filled with metal guitar players (at least Guitar World is). I think cover of latest Guitar World is EVH (lol); they still have tons of articles about Pantera (even though Dime isn't even alive), Lamb of God, Slayer, Yngwie (come on, as much as I respect him, he's something we should've forgotten in the 80s), and Richie Blackmore (for Christ's sake, stop). Even Zakk Wylde is getting attention for creating his own line of gear as his musical relevance fades away. So apparently, metal is very relevant to world of guitar players; i mean most of technical players are from metal (unless you're Tommy Emmanuel), and people still look up to them. Recent issues are also becoming about Djent bands/overly-downtuned prog metal-esque music with incomprehensible vocals.

They're still writing about that? :D The luthier at guitar building class has recently brought his old 80's and 90's collection of guitar magazines to the class, and they're full of (hair) metal guitarists too. I guess maybe its because metal guitarists form the lionshare of their readership?

So, it makes sense that even though Edge is hugely famous, he may not be all that respected amongst jealous guitarists; so that might hurt the sales somehow? (i know it's absolute bullshit but hey, we believe in tons of bullshit like "these parts make Klon sound good" or something like that). It's somewhat evident from the fact that Sonic Youth models (Lee and thurston) didn't sell well and Tom Morello is often ridiculed because he uses "too much effect"[/quote]

Tom gets shat upon by the same people who diss Edge and for the same reason. To those people the only benchmark to being a good guitarist is to be able to shred or have blues chops akin to SRV. Ironically enough Tom Morello can shred. He just prefers to make pterodactyl noises instead. As for those Sonic Youth guys, they just have the bad luck in being in an underground band so their fanbase is limited. Metal is also underground but I think the ratio of guitarists amongst metal heads is a lot bigger, so the potential customer base is a lot bigger.

U2 on the other hand is the biggest band on Earth and even if the ratio of guitarists amongst U2 fans is smaller then with metal heads, the larger fanbase should make up for it. I predict the Edge Strat will be with us for a long time. I don't think the same can be said for the Edge Fender amp. The link between Edge and Fender amps is not the same in the mind of most people as it is with Strats.

I wish people respect alt rock guitarists more. or people with alt-rock mindset, like Edge, Johnny Marr, Lee Ranaldo, Joey Santiago, etc.

Haters gonna hate. Don't let their opinions ruin your day. Just smile and think of the intro to Where the Streets instead.

PS. I am disappointed by the fact that you guys didn't like my new Edge sig model idea

It was probably a bit too outlandish. And out of character, as Edge would want ridiculous vintage things on his guitar, not weird gizmos. Like pickups would by Fender unicorns from 1957. And why 1957, that was the year that unicorn handler Doris retired and the production shifted to Mexican goblins. As everyone knows, unicorn tears are a key ingredient to good tone.

I was kinda joking when I made my Edge sig idea. Though I wanna see Edge with heavily customized Jazzmaster. I guess I'll see what kinds of Edge sig. will happen in future. I believe future success will allow Edge to be bit more experimental about specs of his guitars (but I don't see Edge having neon-color guitar equipped with BK War Pigs and extremely thin necks)

I am kinda okay to see technical guitarists to see on the magazines, if they provide good advice on playing. like Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert do. But many of them are just show-offs, to me.

Back
Top Bottom