newbie needs major help!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 12:24 AM
newbie needs major help!!!

Hello everyone!
I'm proud to say that i just bought my first electric guitar n effects pedal. I got a zoom g2.u1 unit. I know its not the best to replicate the Edge's sound, but i was on a tight budget. Anyway, was wondering if anyone could give me some hints to set up the types of effects for most of their songs......ANY suggestion for any U2 song would do ( I hope to play them all someday.... )

try to keep the terms simple as I'm just tryin to learn all the lingo. If u know settings for my effects unit, that would be even more awesome!
So thanks everyone for your help!

hansen_811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Hi welcome!

Erm well tip with delay is that the delay usually needs to be as loud as the notes being played otherwise it's too subtle.
And if you have tap delay (you can tap in the time of your delay) the delay tapping is usually syncopated so the delayed notes drift between the actual note you play if you get me please ask if you don't lol

To get as close to Edge's sound you need to replicate the sharp ringing tone which is usually used with some note by playing with a a dimpled pick (picks with grips)

To get a good sustain without too much distortion use a compressor
With good sustain for harmonics try shaking the guitar a bit to hold the sustain as I've seen Edge do live

Also many people don't take the trouble to experiement with the actual tone controls/setting of their guitar so it's worth a try too

Allthough you can never actually fully produce a 100% of Edge's sound because about 70% of the tone is actually in your fingers believe it or not and how you hold the string

Hope thats a help to you please ask if you don't get somethings
SWlondnr is offline   Reply With Quote