Newbie needs equipment advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the great advice guys, I think the M13 is brilliant from all the U2 demo clips I've watched on youtube using it.

I got a Vox Pathfinder 15R as an amp, it's only a solid state but apparently it sounds much better than its price would suggest (and i'm only playing in my bedroom atm).

I'm a bit fazed by all the myriad options/controls on my amp and my guitar at the moment and all the combinations you can have (and this is even before you get to the M13!).
I was wondering whether to set the amp to output a clean tone and let the M13 handle the distortion etc. or the other way round (or a bit of both)?

I was also trying to play that intro to Lovers in Japan (as I think it is by far the most impressive sounding thing an absolute beginner can learn) but I don't know what tab to use as they all seem to contradict each other (these two tabs have three different variations of the opening chords 911Tabs.Com - External Link
911Tabs.Com - External Link

I'm completely hopeless at playing chords so I can't try them all out and see what sounds best either, anyone know which one of those sound the nearest to the YT clip I posted earlier? The settings used for the M13 are here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prCyj3FbtTQ

The whole intro basically solely relies on Edge's 'shimmer' effect he invented back in the 80s.

Hello all
I have bought the VOX AC4 but it does not feel right at all, I also got the fender vibro champ XD all tube and this has a little noted setting (no 16) which when the bass is turned down and the treble maxed sounds really clean and with the M13 attached this does it for me. Unknown caller sounds identical and you seem to be able to get the overdriven sound even at 1 or 2 on the volume (the screamer on the M13 is very good too)

Thanks for the great advice guys, I think the M13 is brilliant from all the U2 demo clips I've watched on youtube using it.

I got a Vox Pathfinder 15R as an amp, it's only a solid state but apparently it sounds much better than its price would suggest (and i'm only playing in my bedroom atm).

I'm a bit fazed by all the myriad options/controls on my amp and my guitar at the moment and all the combinations you can have (and this is even before you get to the M13!).
I was wondering whether to set the amp to output a clean tone and let the M13 handle the distortion etc. or the other way round (or a bit of both)?

I was also trying to play that intro to Lovers in Japan (as I think it is by far the most impressive sounding thing an absolute beginner can learn) but I don't know what tab to use as they all seem to contradict each other (these two tabs have three different variations of the opening chords 911Tabs.Com - External Link
911Tabs.Com - External Link

I'm completely hopeless at playing chords so I can't try them all out and see what sounds best either, anyone know which one of those sound the nearest to the YT clip I posted earlier? The settings used for the M13 are here:YouTube - Line 6 M13 Delay Delay Octo Settings

The whole intro basically solely relies on Edge's 'shimmer' effect he invented back in the 80s.

...Shimmer effect he perfected in the `80's. I think it was Daniel Lanois and/or Eno that showed it to The Edge.

Anyone got the new Line 6 M9? I'm torn between that and the M13. Both seem pretty much identical except the M9 is smaller, and the M13 allows 4 pedals at once compared to the M9's 3. I've already got a Boss SD-1, Big Muff, Whammy and Wah pedal and considering the M9 to my board to go with them rather than make current pedals obsolete. Not sure if I'd need 4 pedals on the M13 much or is the M9 would be sufficient.

Anyone got the new Line 6 M9? I'm torn between that and the M13. Both seem pretty much identical except the M9 is smaller, and the M13 allows 4 pedals at once compared to the M9's 3. I've already got a Boss SD-1, Big Muff, Whammy and Wah pedal and considering the M9 to my board to go with them rather than make current pedals obsolete. Not sure if I'd need 4 pedals on the M13 much or is the M9 would be sufficient.
Well if you want to use your existing pedals then you don't really need the extra effects unit of the M13 and the M9 will fit on your board better.

Other than the extra FX unit and more screens (which make it easier to use) the M13 is identical to the M9 so i'd just get whatever's cheaper

...Shimmer effect he perfected in the `80's. I think it was Daniel Lanois and/or Eno that showed it to The Edge.

Apparently Edge and Eno invented it during the Unforgettable Fire sessions
U2’s The Edge Shimmer Effects : shanzuguitars.com

BTW anyone know which chords will get me that sound in the Lovers In Japan intro clip? And the settings for the intro (which I linked to earlier) are setup so the effects path is going from right to left, not thr M13's default left to right

Back
Top Bottom