new reverb pedal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davo

Babyface
Hello everybody from spain!, it's been a long time

I wanna buy a new reverb pedal but have no ideas, i have the eh holier grail, somebody knows others, maybe the verbzilla? to get the shimmer sound with the octo mode?? anyone knows? please help me!

thanks
David

edge basically turns his guitar into strings. he uses it on a bunch of songs -- With or Without You, City of Blinding Lights, All I Want is You, Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, Still Haven't Found, and a few others. check out this video of The Unforgettable Fire, Edge turns on the shimmer at 2:50 and it's super loud

YouTube - Rare U2 The Unforgettable Fire Live From Paris 1987

this video of All I Want Is you is a better example of how edge typically uses it. you can hear it at the quiet part, around 2:30, through the solo.

YouTube - U2 All I Want is YOU LIVE Milan

it's a pretty amazing and very unique sound. edge is a genius. if you want to hear some recordings of the verbzilla, check out my band's website, The Moonlight Experience . in the music section you can stream mp3s, and i used shimmer on "The Castle" and "Song For Me." (/shameless plug)

It's just his guitar going into the pedal which then treats it with a heavy layer of reverb that goes higher in octave intervals. So it's just the sound of his guitar, but strongly altered.

It's just his guitar going into the pedal which then treats it with a heavy layer of reverb that goes higher in octave intervals. So it's just the sound of his guitar, but strongly altered.

Edge doesn't use a Verbzilla. He's been using the shimmer sound for literally a couple decades now, long before the Verbzilla existed.

I believe shimmer originally consisted of the AMS 1580s (a delay and harmonizer unit) combined with heavy reverb treatment. On a number of later occasions, I think various Eventide processors have also been used for this.

But, if you check out images of his Vertigo rack, he still has 2 AMS 1580Ss in there, so I think he still uses it pretty regularly as his main shimmer.

I've been wondering when he might switch over to a Verbzilla at some point (maybe as a backup), but I think it's unlikely as long as he can still get AMS or Eventide units.

I was under the impression that Edge has been using the Eventide for the shimmer since the beginning.

No, the Eventide didn't show up until later.

AMS 1580 and reverb (provided by, I think, the Yamaha SPX 90 - could be wrong about that one) produced the shimmer effect, which first showed up on the Unforgettable Fire album.

I'd get the verbzilla - check out the shimmer post in this thread from a few days ago there's a bunch of youtube vids showing what it can do - I posted one yesterday, that guys sound makes me drool....

Back
Top Bottom