New Model of Drumkit for Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry and his Brady drums:

(partial list)

10 x 4.5" Jarrah Ply Snare, Wandoo Burl satin finish

12” x 7” Sheoak Block Snare (old primary, pre 2005 -- Lovetown tour through Elevation tour)

12” x 7” Jarrah Block Snare

14” x 6.5” Jarrah Block Snare

14” x 8” Jarrah Block Snare

14" x 8" Sheoak Block Snare (primary, post 2005 -- Vertigo tour)

14" x 8" Wandoo Block Snare

14 x 8" Sugar Gum Block Snare

Jarrah Ply Drumkit/Banksia Satin finish:

14” x 10” Rack Tom

16” x 14” Floor Tom

20” x 16" Bass Drum

Quote: (quote by long-time drum tech, Sam O'Sullivan)

"We have been using our newer 14 x 8 Sheoak Block snare on the U2 Vertigo World tour and we have had some great reactions from drummers and fans alike. There is such great tonality from the Sheoak but as do the Wandoo and Jarrah which we have used on previous tours and studio recordings. Larry's mainly used a 12 x 7" Sheoak Block drum live since 1989. It's only 12 inches across, but he gets a great whack out of it. They all have that defining Brady sound and all have their own qualities. Sheoak this time around again.........sounds Great".

As for the negative comment about the Yamaha PHX series... to each their own. The PHX kit and snare sound great. I can agree that the Brady snare drums sound amazing.

Why the change?

I know that the economy in Australia has been rough like other places. I know that the Brady website has been up sometimes and not others. Perhaps the company is having difficulties? Those difficulties my translate to how easy it IS or ISN'T to get parts or replacement drums - hence the switch.

The snare used on Actung Baby/Zoo Tv was the Brady solid sheoak 12x7 awesome snare, I am still using it now! it Pisses all over the Yamaha phx maple he appears to be on at the mo!! =]

Just a bit of further info - Larry has been asked to endorse a Yamaha "Larry Mullen Jnr - Snare drum" So maybe this is his attempt to find a sound that he will put his name too - things you do for money eh!!!

Reply to:
This isn't relevant to the topic but does anyone know what snare Larry used for Achtung Baby? I love that one!
it's all a matter of taste I guess. I love the sheoak 12x7, but the 14 he was using on Vertigo sounded horrible. No attack, no body. But that was more or less the way they wanted it to sound.
I like the sound he has during this tour and if those rumors about a signature are right, then he's probably using a phx after all. Time will tell :)

About that "money" thing: Larry has never been doing side things for money. A signature is also a form of recognition. Something he definitely deserves.

it's all a matter of taste I guess. I love the sheoak 12x7, but the 14 he was using on Vertigo sounded horrible. No attack, no body. But that was more or less the way they wanted it to sound.
I like the sound he has during this tour and if those rumors about a signature are right, then he's probably using a phx after all. Time will tell :)

About that "money" thing: Larry has never been doing side things for money. A signature is also a form of recognition. Something he definitely deserves.

Yamaha make a number of signature drums. So it would be cool if they did one for Larry.

Although, I'm not sure where that information comes from - where the rumour started.

If it was merely as his name are on his drums, Yamaha do that for a number of clients with endorsement deals. Larry's endorsed Yamaha since 1982.

Case in point? Larry has an endorsement with ProMark drum sticks. They put his name on the sticks. BUT - they are not commercially available to buy as a 'signature series' set of sticks from your local Sam Ash or Guitar Center.

As for the money made - that is hardly the motivation. Nor is there a mint to be made for signature snare drums.

Larry snare on 360 tour is 14" Ludwig Black Beauty

Hi all,

Just thought you might like to know that the snare Larry is using on the 360 tour is the 14" Ludwig Black Beauty (I didn't expect that one!)

Just for reference I was told by the Yamaha UK Rep about the possible signature coming out. =]

Hi all,

Just thought you might like to know that the snare Larry is using on the 360 tour is the 14" Ludwig Black Beauty (I didn't expect that one!)

Just for reference I was told by the Yamaha UK Rep about the possible signature coming out. =]

You are correct sir! It is indeed a 14" Ludwig Black Beauty.

It's interesting that he went away from the Brady snare drums, after 20-ish years of playing them. Seems there might be some 'problems' with Brady as a 'going concern' of a company, of so I've heard. That might be why he shied away from them?

Cool he's using the Black Beauty - classic snare drum.

Yamaha likes to make the signature snare drums. They are one of the first drum company's to do so.

I love the Manu Katche' snare drum. Surprised that Larry's night tried one. (Maybe he owns one and has used it in the studio?) Plus the Manu Katche' is very similar in look and style to the Black Beauty.

It'll be interesting to see what drum Yamaha would make as a LMJ signature model.

larry7-1.jpg

Hello,

I'm a drummer in a NJ U2 tribute band. I just sold my Brady and bought Larry's current 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty (Hammered). I love the Brady's but actually like the Ludwig a little better because it's more of a focused sound. The Brady and the Ludwig BB almost sound similar which is strange cause one is wood and the other is brass. They both have that thick/warm crack to them. Anyhow, I love Larry's new kit and snare. The Ludwig is a classic snare since the 1920's.

brady vs ludwig black beauty

Yeah I was thinking of keeping the Brady too ... but @ $1,000 a pop I can't afford to own 2 high end snares. lol

Tell Larry to stop changing drums. He's killing us tribute guys! hahah

I hear ya...Edge is the toughest. Way too many effects and guitars to worry about.

Ludwig

Any other Larry tribute guys out there get the Ludwig Black Beauty? I did and actually liking it a tad better than the Brady. But the Brady had a better throw off that's for sure.

When Larry played it on Letterman a few months back I was blown away the sound it had.

Any other Larry tribute guys out there get the Ludwig Black Beauty? I did and actually liking it a tad better than the Brady. But the Brady had a better throw off that's for sure.

When Larry played it on Letterman a few months back I was blown away the sound it had.

Ludwig Black Beauty is a legend of a snare drum. You can never go wrong with one of those.

That said, the Brady snares were fantastic. The Brady drums are certainly unique what are used to make the shells. They certainly stepped out of the Oak, Maple, Birch, Beech constructs of most companies.

Wondering why Larry stopped using them? I know that the economy has been tough on many music manufacturers, including Brady. I've also heard that here was a shakeup in ownership (unverified).

Perhaps, Larry just fell in love w/the Black Beauty. Perhaps, he learned of issues and Brady and didn't want to have issues getting drums or parts.

Good points
Probably cause Larry was looking for a more stand out sound the Ludwig had.
You can really here it come through during live shows. The 2 snares actually sound somewhat simlar for whatever reason. Both have that warm thick tone.

Anyhow, Ludwig & Brady probably the best snares you can buy. I remember his 12x7 sheoak...that thing was the best ever!! Got a huge whack out of it live.

More fun facts on Larry's latest Yamaha PHX drum kit -

LMJ-Yamaha_AU.jpg

"The world's biggest band demands a powerful drummer and a powerful kit. For decades Larry Mullen, Jr. and Yamaha Drums have been the perfect combination as the backbone of U2. From songwriting and recording to touring across the globe, Larry has faithfully carried his custom Yamaha drums for every step of the journey." - Yamaha site

Drum shells:
The shells of the PHX are 11-ply hybrid shells. The woods used are progressively softer from the center ply to the outer plies. The center ply is jatoba; this is a very hard wood' and it "anchors" the fundamental of the shell. Sandwiched on either side of this is kapur. This wood is in the mahogany family and adds warmth to the sound of the drum. The inner and outer plies are maple, except in the case of drums using the optional burled ash outer ply. These drums use an outer half-ply each of maple and burled ash. Maple rounds out the tone adding high and mid frequencies to the shell.

larry7-2.jpg

Bearing edges:
All drums have a 30° bearing edge, but each "family" of drums uses a different profile. Bass drums have a sharper edge cut toward the outer plies. This gives the bass drums attack and shortens the decay. Floor toms have a slightly rounded edge to give them a perfect balance of attack and sustain, making them very articulate at all dynamic levels. Toms have an even more rounded profile for warmth and sustain. This combination of shell composition and bearing edges makes PHX what many of our artists described as "the most musical drums [they] have ever played".

3673558012_5ddf4b7263_o.jpg

Hardware:
PHX uses redesigned versions of the Nouveau lug and YESS. The new lug mounts on a square hook rather than a round post. This keeps the tension rod in perfect vertical alignment and eliminates the need to use two hands while tuning the drum. We used the aluminum die-cast hoops made popular on our Absolute series for PHX. These hoops are very light but rigid, giving you the open, warm sound of a triple-flanged hoop and the accurate tuning of a die-cast hoop. Lugs and hoops are available in chrome or gold.

The new version of the YESS mounting system supports the drum at the top and bottom. The new version mounts the tom bracket onto a piece of the shell, and that wooden plate is isolated or shock-mounted using rubber grommets. A 3-piece fastening system is used to attach the new YESS to the shell, and the inside and outside fasteners do not touch. This system totally isolates the drum and allows the full tone to come through and maximizes sustain.

3672746745_b1c5b1827f_o-1.jpg

Finishes:
PHX is available with either maple and burled ash exterior plies, and with gold or chrome hardware. The finishes available on the maple outer ply are:
•Matte Natural
•Matte Black
•Polar White
•Cherry Sunburst

The finishes available on the burled ash are:
•Garnet Fade
•Sapphire Fade
•Turquoise Fade
•Textured Amber Sunburst
•Textured Black Sunburst

Although Larry's kit is finished in custom silver glitter sparkle.

larry7-1.jpg

Courtesy of Yamaha Drums

Back
Top Bottom