New guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spike

Babyface
hi getting a new guitar soon but dunno what kind to get i have $1000 at max to spend so anyone got any suggestions? thx

i'd quickly say get a Gibson Explorer. i played one at guitar center the other day and it is really really good! i have $380 to spend myself, and i'm gonan try to get an epiphone explorer.

but really, go to guitar center, bring a pick, and try some of the gutiars out. you'll find a couple that you'll like. i played an old old strat there a few days ago, and i like it alot, more than any other strat i've played. i probably would have bought it if i had the money. so go to gutiar center and check it out.

A strat would be a great option. On the other side of the sound spectrum is the Les Paul / SG / Explorer. If you like the guitar sounds on The Joshua Tree, then you may want to lean toward a strat. If you dig the Achtung Baby tones, look into the Gibson stuff.
Most importantly, play lots of different guitars, and find one that feels great and really suits you.

-Nick

You can get a very nice guitar for $1,000 but you haven't said whether you want an acoustic or electric and whether your a newbie or experienced player.

I like Larrivee acoustics (I just posted about them on another acoustic shoppers thread) and as mentioned above, single coil (stats) and humbucker (Gibson) guitars give you different sounds which depend on your preference. If you want the most varsatility in an electric you'll probably lean towards a single coil. Mexican made Strats will run about $350 and give you plenty of money for a decent amp. About $450 will get you an even better Tribute G&L (Leo Fender started G&L after selling Fender and G&L now does Strats and Teles much better than Fender).

Don't just go to Guitar Center either. There are much better stores for both price and service.

Gretsch!! Get a Gretsch guitar -- I played one at Guitar Center and it sounds amazing! Some are way over $1,000 but the one I played was real nice and around $750.

Plus, Bono has one. :wink:

By the way, what amp do you have? You can buy a $5,000 guitar and still sound like crap if you're playing through a 20 watt solid state deal.

-Nick

It all depends on your need. We can only tell you our experiences. I prefer Stratocasters myself. I love their sound, shape, feel and handling. Good allround guitars, but get one that has 22 frets instead of 21 as some have. Also beware of the tremelo. Sometimes using them to much can cause certain strings to detune. So if you want to do some serious divebombing get one that has a Floyd Rose tremelo.
But if you only have a single guitar and you need to retune your guitar regularly to different tunings it would be preferable to get a guitar without a tremelo. There are some Strats without tremelo but the Telecaster is a good alternative. Or the Gibsons/Epiphones.
Les Pauls are great guitars with killer sounds but if you like to play lots of lead guitar the fact that a LP has no top cut away might hinder some getting those high notes comfortably. In which case an SG or an Explorer would be more preferable. Plus the Explorer has that cool shape.
A friend of mine raves about Ibanez guitars. These seem to be very good lead guitars. No wonder then that master guitar shredders like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai use them.

But your amp is even more important. If you have a great amp a mediocre guitar will still sound good. A good guitar on a mediocre amp will still sound mediocre. Of your $1000 its better to spend $850 on a good amp and $150 on a bargain guitar then reverse. When my father gave me my first guitar and amp he made sure the amp was state of the art. And I still have it.

If you could have one guitar to use with an effects board to play U2 what would it be? Prospective buyer here...

I would definately get my hands on a Strat if i had that sort of money in my pocket!

they're incredibly cheap if you look in the right place! i bought a strat last August. 80's Japanese Body, mexican neck, seymour duncan hotrail pickup. £207. a steal.

Back
Top Bottom