New gear for Edge, Adam and Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullenFan

Acrobat
So we all probably saw the gig for Obama. Seems the lads have bought themselves some new stuff. Adam's gold sparkle bass guitar and new amps/cabinets, Larry's silver sparkle drumkit and luckily his Paiste cymbals (no Zildjians..) and Edge with some new effects and the new les Paul.

Is there any insight in the details of all this new stuff? What type of Yamaha drumkit, which bass amps etc?

The Les Paul isnt' that new, it's the Music Rising Les Paul he's used a couple of times.
The new bass is a lakland davvy jones signature, as most of Adams basses are, I don't know the exact colour, but I assume sparkly gold. :lol:
That's all I know..

So we all probably saw the gig for Obama. Seems the lads have bought themselves some new stuff. Adam's gold sparkle bass guitar and new amps/cabinets, Larry's silver sparkle drumkit and luckily his Paiste cymbals (no Zildjians..) and Edge with some new effects and the new les Paul.

Is there any insight in the details of all this new stuff? What type of Yamaha drumkit, which bass amps etc?

Adam's gold sparkle Fender Jazz Bass was pretty cool. Probably from the Fender Custom Shop but we will most likely learn more once Bass Player does their usual cover story on Adam once the tour starts.

Larry kit was cool. Good to see that he's gone past basic white finish. Your comment about the cymbals was interesting. "Luckily, his Paiste cymbals"? Paiste does make great cymbals but so does Zildjian.

As for Edge's gear, I didn't notice anthing particularly new. He has a few of the Gibson Music Rising 'Mardi Gras' finish Les Pauls. He had a mini rack with items that are normally used but in a scaled down manner... And the DL4 that was on the ground near the Vox AC30 has been used for smaller gigs before.

Seem's Bono was singing through a new amp too, a white Vox, prolly still an AC-30

I don't think he's singing through that amp. It does appear to be a Vox AC30 with fawn tolex covering.

Like this: (see photo in link)
North Coast Music: Reissue AC-30 Cabinets by North Coast Music

So why did Bono have his Irish Falcon and his Vox amp? I think that initially, U2 had planned to play "Pride..." and "One" (hence Bono's guitar gear) but dropped "One" when the Obama's (or Obama staffers) requested "City of Blinding Lights", as it was used in the campaign.

I think they planned to play Pride and COBL, and then One as finisher with all the artists, or perhaps with just MJB. But for some reason they didn't.
And Edge_O, it took me ages to find the difference, but the bass Adam used is a Lakland, not a Jazzy.
The difference is the 'bottom' of the guitar, not sure what the English term is, but where the strings end on the body. With Fender that's a regular, straight metal piece, but with the laklands it's a bit elliptical and further away from the edge of the body.
Here's the shiny bass, besides the string ending, you can also slightly see Lakland on the neck, and ofcourse there are no stipes on the neck, instead it's more stripey fret indication like with gibsons.

adam20clayton20j20bass2wx4.jpg

Hope that clears things up.

I think they planned to play Pride and COBL, and then One as finisher with all the artists, or perhaps with just MJB. But for some reason they didn't.
And Edge_O, it took me ages to find the difference, but the bass Adam used is a Lakland, not a Jazzy.
The difference is the 'bottom' of the guitar, not sure what the English term is, but where the strings end on the body. With Fender that's a regular, straight metal piece, but with the laklands it's a bit elliptical and further away from the edge of the body.
Here's the shiny bass, besides the string ending, you can also slightly see Lakland on the neck, and ofcourse there are no stipes on the neck, instead it's more stripey fret indication like with gibsons.

Could be... I will have to investivate a bit more. I wish there was a good close-up of Adam playing the sparkle bass... close enough to read the headstock on the one that he was playing.

Yes, the picture you included, says Lakland but there is nothing to lead me to believe that that particular picture is of one of Adam's bass guitars. But it is compelling enough to ask some questions... (and I have... I emailed Dan Lakin of Lakland)
It could make sense that it might be a Lakland, as when it comes to Fender bass', Adam favors 1960's and early 1970's models.

Hopefully we will know for sure very soon. As mentioned, I have email Dan Lakin of Lakland and sent him some photos from the rehearsal and show. Hopefully, he will answer back soon.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the info guys 'n girls :) :up:
Larry kit was cool. Good to see that he's gone past basic white finish. Your comment about the cymbals was interesting. "Luckily, his Paiste cymbals"? Paiste does make great cymbals but so does Zildjian.
Let me clarify that a little bit :)

What I meant to say is: I love his Paistes. I love the way they sound and that signature line really has a clear and bright sound that totally suits his playing.
I like the cymbals so much that I started buying the same ones. So, the 16, 17 and 18 Power Crash, the 18" full crash and the masterpiece: 22" power ride. That costs a lot of money and a lot of time, especially for the ride. No shop will ever keep a monster like that in store.

So I was a bit sad to see that after so many years of Paiste, he switched to Zildjians. Don't get me wrong, those aren't "worse" or "better" than the Paistes. In general, the Z's sound more dark, less crisp, than the P's. I already had nightmares about having to go out and buy myself a whole new set of cymbals...

Thanks for all the info guys 'n girls :) :up:

Let me clarify that a little bit :)

What I meant to say is: I love his Paistes. I love the way they sound and that signature line really has a clear and bright sound that totally suits his playing.
I like the cymbals so much that I started buying the same ones. So, the 16, 17 and 18 Power Crash, the 18" full crash and the masterpiece: 22" power ride. That costs a lot of money and a lot of time, especially for the ride. No shop will ever keep a monster like that in store.

So I was a bit sad to see that after so many years of Paiste, he switched to Zildjians. Don't get me wrong, those aren't "worse" or "better" than the Paistes. In general, the Z's sound more dark, less crisp, than the P's. I already had nightmares about having to go out and buy myself a whole new set of cymbals...

I hear you. I play drums and guitars...

...how do you think my guitar playing self feels with each new U2 album and tour?

My first thought is "what great new toys will Edge have!".

My second thought is "oh f&^k, how will I afford to buy the new toys he's using!"

And here is the answer about Adam's gold sparkle bass from the inaugural shows...

Looks like it is indeed a Fender Jazz bass. Adam probably had it made by the Fender Custom shop or had an older model refinished by them.

Here is the answer I got back from Lakland:

"Unfortunately those are Fenders. We made him a similar color bass but don't know if he is using it.

His last order was provided without finish so he could match the paint of his Fender. I don't know if it ever got put together."

- Dan Lakin

I hear you. I play drums and guitars...

...how do you think my guitar playing self feels with each new U2 album and tour?

My first thought is "what great new toys will Edge have!".

My second thought is "oh f&^k, how will I afford to buy the new toys he's using!"
Haha yeah I can imagine. Our guitarist is already shopping for the death by audio stuff. I wonder how much he will spend this time ...

And here is the answer about Adam's gold sparkle bass from the inaugural shows...

Looks like it is indeed a Fender Jazz bass. Adam probably had it made by the Fender Custom shop or had an older model refinished by them.

Here is the answer I got back from Lakland:

"Unfortunately those are Fenders. We made him a similar color bass but don't know if he is using it.

His last order was provided without finish so he could match the paint of his Fender. I don't know if it ever got put together."

- Dan Lakin

Hm, yea, it's indeed a jazz. There are pics in PLEBA now, last page of the inauguration thread.
But the neck is a Lakland. He uses the regular lakland too, which is similar in colour, just not sparkly, so that's probably what got me confused.
I remember him commenting on how he preferred to use lakland necks over jazz ones, because they were more ladylike?

Hm, yea, it's indeed a jazz. There are pics in PLEBA now, last page of the inauguration thread.
But the neck is a Lakland. He uses the regular lakland too, which is similar in colour, just not sparkly, so that's probably what got me confused.
I remember him commenting on how he preferred to use lakland necks over jazz ones, because they were more ladylike?

Dan from Lakland (owner) confirmed that the gold sparkly bass is a Fender Jazz. (There are no Lakland parts on it).

And you can see, on the headstock, where it says "Fender" in thier script log and then in smaller laters "Jazz Bass" (Lakland is in more of a block like font) :

Fender_Jazz_19xx_goldsparkle-1.jpg

Fender_Jazz_19xx_goldsparkle-2.jpg

Fender_Jazz_19xx_goldsparkle-3.jpg

You can see what the Lakland font looks like here:
Lakland-gold_sparkle-jazz_style_bas.jpg

I'm 99.99999% sure that Adam hasn't changed out Fender necks for Lakland necks.

He has changed out necks on his Fender Precision Basses, in the past, to Fender Jazz.

This (below) from the Nov 2000 Bass Player feature:
BP: Are you still playing your '72 Precision?

AC: I am. It's got a bit less varnish than it once had, but it's still around. I see photographs of it from different tours, and I can see the varnish gradually wearing off. It's a really light instrument, which is fantastic, because it's got this nice brightness without losing any bottom end. I'm always changing something on it, but it's still pretty much the same instrument I've always played. I did put a Jazz neck on it very early on; I find the Jazz neck suits my left hand better. The Precision is a painful, physical thing to do battle with. The Jazz is a bit more ladylike.

Adam does and has used Lakland bass guitars live (but not exclusively) since Elevation.

Here's a copy of the email that Dan Lakin sent during the beginning of the Vertigo tour.

Hi Jeffrey,

For the 2005 "Vertigo Tour" Adam is using four US Made Daryl Jones models:

(2) - Natural Jones with custom black blacks and no binding w/ maple necks.

(1) - Teal Green Metallic Jones with custom abalone blocks and no binding w/ maple neck.

(1) - Gold Jones with custom abalone blocks w/maple neck [Adam hasn't taken delivery of this one yet]. (note: Adam soon received and used this bass quite alot on the Vertigo tour)

During the Elevation 2001 Tour, Adams used the following:
(2) US made, Joe Osborn signature models - one sunburst, one natural
(1) US made, Bob Glaub signature – natural finish.

Thanks.

I totally understand your point, and you're right. But why do the necks of Adam's jazz basses then have the stripey fret indicators instead of the regular dots? :hmm: Is that customized or so?

I totally understand your point, and you're right. But why do the necks of Adam's jazz basses then have the stripey fret indicators instead of the regular dots? :hmm: Is that customized or so?

Some of Adam's have 'dot' markers and many have the block marker.

Shoreline Gold Fender Jazz w/block markers:
FENDER - Jazz - 1965 - Shoreline Gold

Sherwood Green Fender Jazz (2 pics) the first before the neck change (with the rosewood fretboard, second picture w/dot markers:
http://www.u2-stage-and-studio.com/adam/id36.html

Adam prefers the maple neck to the rosewood, as he can see the fret markers easier. (He mentioned that in an interview)

The problem is that most 1960's era Fender basses come WITH rosewood fretboards. The sherwood green and shoreline gold had rosewood fretboards when Dallas bought them for Adam but Adam had them swapped out to `70's era all maple neck & fretboard.

This is mentioned in the sidebar article from the Jan 2006 Bass Player Magazine:

http://u2-atomic-articles.tripod.co...ton-beautiful_gear_sidebar.jpg&target=tlx_new

And as it IS all about the drums...

I got some facts and figures from the chap I emailed at Yamaha about the Lincoln Memorial / We Are One kit:

The silver kit was actually a bit of a hybrid.

Yamaha-Oak_Custom_24in_BD_and_16in_.jpg

A bit of history first:

- The Joshua Tree/Lovetown tours: LMJ used a Yamaha Turbo Tour kit. (black finish)

- Zoo TV/Zooropa tours: LMJ used a Yamaha Maple Custom drum kit.
- Popmart tour: LMJ used (2) Yamaha Maple Custom drum kits. (1) The main stage kit, had each drum with a different sparkle finish (bass drum was gold sparkle, rack tom was red sparkle, (2) floor toms were blue/silver fade sparkle) and the B-Stage kit was a white sparkle kit.

- Elevation: LMJ used a Yamaha Beech Custom drum kit. (Mica White finish)
- Vertigo tour: LMJ used a Yamaha Absolute Beech Custom drum kit. (Mica White finish)

The Kit Used for the "We Are One" show was a bit of a hybrid of drum models.
- Oak Custom (24") bass drum
- Oak Custom (16") floor tom
- Absolute Maple (14") rack tom

...all in silver sparkle. The chap from Yamaha wasn't sure about the snare drum. It didn't look like the one of the Brady snares that Larry's used... I will have to investigate the video footage and pictures a bit more.

Some of Adam's have 'dot' markers and many have the block marker.

Shoreline Gold Fender Jazz w/block markers:
FENDER - Jazz - 1965 - Shoreline Gold

Sherwood Green Fender Jazz (2 pics) the first before the neck change (with the rosewood fretboard, second picture w/dot markers:
FENDER - Jazz Bass - 1964 - Sherwood Green finish

Adam prefers the maple neck to the rosewood, as he can see the fret markers easier. (He mentioned that in an interview)

The problem is that most 1960's era Fender basses come WITH rosewood fretboards. The sherwood green and shoreline gold had rosewood fretboards when Dallas bought them for Adam but Adam had them swapped out to `70's era all maple neck & fretboard.

This is mentioned in the sidebar article from the Jan 2006 Bass Player Magazine:

Site Builder

That explains a lot. I have that magazine somewhere, just not sure where!
:hmm: But as far as I know my Squier Pbass has a maple neck, the dark one, and I can see the fret markers just fine. Ah well, to each their own reasons.

And as it IS all about the drums...

I got some facts and figures from the chap I emailed at Yamaha about the Lincoln Memorial / We Are One kit:

The silver kit was actually a bit of a hybrid.

The Kit Used for the "We Are One" show was a bit of a hybrid of drum models.
- Oak Custom (24") bass drum
- Oak Custom (16") floor tom
- Absolute Maple (14") rack tom

...all in silver sparkle. The chap from Yamaha wasn't sure about the snare drum. It didn't look like the one of the Brady snares that Larry's used... I will have to investigate the video footage and pictures a bit more.
Excellent! :) thanks for posting that :up:

Excellent! :) thanks for posting that :up:

Keep in mind that the kit used for the "We Are One" show might not be the kit for the next tour. The lad from Yamaha was being a bit coy when I asked him. He said: "We'll have to wait and see, won't we".

• It's possible that will be the kit used.
  • Perhaps the silver sparkle kit was a loaner?
  • It is mildly possible that he will use that black oyster Ludwig kit, seen in the Father Christmas and U2.com studio footage. (Perhaps he will but didn't want to subject a vintage kit to those temperatures.

Why no Yamaha Beech Custom (used on Elevation tour) or Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute drum kit?

Answer: They've been discontinued.

Keep in mind that the kit used for the "We Are One" show might not be the kit for the next tour. The lad from Yamaha was being a bit coy when I asked him. He said: "We'll have to wait and see, won't we".

• It's possible that will be the kit used.
  • Perhaps the silver sparkle kit was a loaner?
  • It is mildly possible that he will use that black oyster Ludwig kit, seen in the Father Christmas and U2.com studio footage. (Perhaps he will but didn't want to subject a vintage kit to those temperatures.
Why no Yamaha Beech Custom (used on Elevation tour) or Yamaha Beech Custom Absolute drum kit?

Answer: They've been discontinued.
I don't think the ludwig will make it onstage, 'cause I really would have expected the Ziljians to be there too.

I know the Beech Custom has been discontinued. Too bad. As for the silver sparkle, it sure matches the gold sparkle bass :) so that could well be the new color.

Is it possible Bono's Vox (lol) is a Brian May amp? I know he has white Vox amps.

I do not think that the amp that was for Bono was a Brian May.

The amp that was there for Bono (though he ended up not playing guitar for the show) was a Vox AC30.

The white Brian May amp is a small amp that is made more for recording; it is models after a small amp built by his Queen bandmate John Deacon.

Vox Brian May Special Guitar Amp Hands-On Review at Musician's Friend | Musician's Friend

There is also a Brian May model AC30.
Vox AC30BM - 30w 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amplifier W/ Blue Speakers: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

I don't think the ludwig will make it onstage, 'cause I really would have expected the Ziljians to be there too.

I know the Beech Custom has been discontinued. Too bad. As for the silver sparkle, it sure matches the gold sparkle bass :) so that could well be the new color.

I am guessing that you are correct about the Ludwig kit, especially if it is vintage and/or was one of Ringo's kits! (Wouldn't that be something, if it were an old kit of Ringo's?)

Larry is pretty loyal about what gear he uses. Hence, my surprise that he went back to using Zildjian's in the studio. (He'd used some Zildjians' very early on).

• He's used Yamaha since at least the Gateshead Festival in late July 1982.
  • He's used Paiste cymbals just as long, perhaps a bit longer.
  • He's used Promark drum sticks since around The Unforgettable Fire tour.
  • And he's used Brady snare drums since 1989, when he got his first during the Love Town tour.

Could it be a Gibson ES 2?

I've only seen one quick clip... Looks to be an Gibson EB-2, on first look.

Check link below:
1960's Gibson EB-2

I will have to get a better look at the video. I know it was to premiere on independent.ie but then that was delayed. Know where I can find the video or some good stills?

http://www.degrooviaguitars.com/pics/guitars/eb/2.jpg

http://www.degrooviaguitars.com/pics/guitars/eb/3.jpg

http://www.degrooviaguitars.com/pics/guitars/eb/5.jpg

So a few questions have come up about the white (white-ish) amp seen in the Olympic Studio pictures and at the Lincoln Memorial "We Are One" show.

I've done a bit mroe investigating and I have a theory as to what amp that might be... Perhaps it's a 50th Anniversary Vox AC30H2

...It seems from both pictures that it belongs to Bono (or is set up to be used by Bono). That said, seems there is one to the left of Edge's Marshall amp in the "Get On Your Boots video. (Hmmmm?)

Pics in question:

0050-1.jpg

Bono-and-Adam-Clayton-in--001ed.jpg

Perhaps the amp in question is a 50th Anniversary VOXAC30H (Handwired)?:

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/vox/ac30h2.jpg

A Very Special AC30 that's Loaded with 50 Years of Vox Heritage!
The Vox AC30H2 handwired Heritage Collection amplifier commemorates the 50th anniversary of Vox guitar amps in impeccable style. Rather than simply reissuing old designs, Vox combines the EF86 preamp channel of 1959 with the Top Boost channel from 1963 to transport you through the golden age of Vox tone. Other features of the AC30H2 include a half-power switch, Two 12" Celestion Alnico "Blue" speakers, bass shift and brilliance switches, and a vintage-style vinyl-covered cabinet. Experience some of the best tones of the last 50 years with the Vox AC30H2 amplifier...more

Vox AC30H2 Guitar Amplifier at a Glance:

Channel 1

Channel 2

Flexible power

Vintage-style cosmetics

Certainly seems to be a match.

Unless he just wanted a white vox. I guess if he can get his own Gretch finish an amp isnt out of the question either.

Back
Top Bottom