New Amp... or something?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubh

The Fly
Hi guys, long time creeper on this forum, only recently did I really start posting and whatnot.. I've been playing guitar for about.. say 8 years now, and I have always been a huge fan of the Edge. I'm in the process of recording some tracks and videos that I will upload to YouTube for your viewing pleasure! (If you choose to watch! HA) ANYWAYS, I'm a bit of a cheapo, to say the least, I save a lot of money but a big chunk of it is dropped every year for school, so to say the least, I do not have a lot of money to be dropping on gear. What I do play through right now is junker Peavey Envoy 110 amp, and I'm guessing that its probably almost as old as I am! (I'd guess 15-17 years old) and I have a very limited selection to pedals and what not. I have a Digitech RP-50 multi effect pedal, which is really quite neat, I am able to get some pretty nice U2 sounds out of it, but it is very hard to switch sounds mid songs.. My guitars, on the other hand are my pride and joy. I have a 1980s Fender Stratocaster which I was given from my uncle.. (it is in pristine condition, great guitar) and I have a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul, which I admit, isn't the greatest guitar out there, but its really grown on me. Now, what my question for you all is, what is my next step in achieving that U2/Edge sound? I like to think I can play U2 songs quite well, in comparison with a lot of you folks' videos on youtube and whatnot. Not only do I love playing U2 songs, but I love the tones and sounds that Edge creates to be used in original songs that I have written/and currently writing! I've studied the Edge's guitar work for years now, and I'm just trying to figure out what my next big purchase is. I was looking at some Vox amps on eBay and I think that would be my best bet? Or do you think if I were to get an M13 pedal board, I could create the sounds and still have my POS Peavey amp get the proper sounds? THANKS

Get a M13!!!! :D I wish i had one. I am sure you can get something to a nice edge tone on a peavey I just met The Creator of peavey, and i was playing some nice sounding U2 stuff on it without any effects pedals. For now i think you are good!

He is a very cool guy! His name is Hartley Peavey

My Peavey is a junky piece of crap though:lol:.. And its only like 30 watts, which is a problem for me because I'm hoping to start playing live, so I don't know which would work out better in the long term. Well I do, and that would be a new amp, and I know there are different types of Vox amps, maybe someone knowledgeable could fill me in some details and suggestions?

Peavey. Sorry. Not a fan of their work.

30 watts isn't an issue.I've played live with AC15's. In most cases amps are mic'd so that shouldn't be a problem.

I suggest trying a Fander Blues Jr or Vox AC15CC Both in the 550-600 range. Worth saving for. Worth having/playing.

If you want something now and will save for later, I'd suggest a Vox AC4 and an M13. An AC4 is a nice low wattage amp that can get you some good Edge tones quietly. Some people have said they're too quiet for gigging, but that isn't true because they can me mic'd. It's likely you could get both for between $500(USD) and $600(USD) total if you don't mind buying used. More like $750(USD)+tax (if you live in a place with sales tax) new.

Breathe, E_O- what don't you like about Peavey?

I've been looking online and I found this.. NEW VOX AC30VR VALVE REACTOR 30W 2x12 COMBO TUBE AMP | eBay

Does this look legit to you? So you would rather start off with the amp rather than the effects?

Never met a Peavey amp that I thought sounded good.

A decent guitar that is set-up well + decent amp are the heart and soul of your tone. Then add effects.

Thanks a lot everyone.. theedgeu2, seen some of your videos, overly jealous of your gear, E_O, ive seen all your posts about your guitars and effects and amps that you own.. would love to see some vids of them all in action!

Back
Top Bottom