Need recommendations for U2 bass tabs to learn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just bought a bass guitar for the first time last week, and I've been wanting to ask some of you guys for suggestions on what bass lines to learn first. I've played guitar for the past 6 years, but I've done a little bass playing on and off as well (though not to the point where I'd call myself an expert). So I do have some knowledge what I'm doing, but I'd still like to hear what songs would be worth learning from the band's catalog (or Adam's best moments, if you wanna put it that way, haha).

Any suggestions are appreciated, so thanks ahead of time!

if you're lookin for easy, go with with or without you. if you wanna make the ladies throw their panties at you, go with please.

Please it is! jk. :p

Actually, you brought up a good point though. In terms of level of difficulty, I really am up for anything. As long as I'm not trying Flea-like bass slaps or anything, I think I can get about just anything in terms of difficulty. And even then, I've been able to do better on bass slaps in the past week or so too! So that might not even be too much of a hard thing either. Like I said, I've been playing guitar for over six years, so a lot of that - along with previous experience at trying out bass - would help along the way I imagine.

I do remember trying to learn With or Without You and New Year's Day way back in the day, and I don't remember it those two being that complicated back then either. Hard or not though, whether it's fun to play or even if it's just pleasing on the ear, I'd love to give it a whirl. So suggestions on any level of difficulty would be greatly appreciated (and thanks for yours, Unico).

I'd say try stuff from the new album. Adam has really come into his own as a bass player on NLOTH. Especially Magnificent, MOS, and Unknown Caller. Boots is also fun.

For older stuff, I think One is one of Adam's great basslines and you'll have it down in half an hour or less. Angel of Harlem and Silver and Gold are fun, but the latter is just one figure that repeats over and over again, so once you have it down it can get a little boring.

Like you said NYD and WOWY are both fairly easy and good ones to know. Gloria has a nice bass solo, but with some of the earlier stuff you'll have to tune down a half step to play with the album. Streets is also a good one. In God's Country you'll get down in like ten minutes.

I also like to play Elevation, Beautiful Day, and Vertigo.

And let's not forget the awesomeness of the basslines in Bullet the Blue and Some Days are Better Than Others, and 40.

Sorry for going on at length here, but I bought a bass about six months ago after over a decade of playing guitar and I'm still loving it, play way more bass than guitar now. :applaud: Enjoy.

NLOTH is really Adam's Album. And Pop!

If you want really fancy, go with Gloria. That song rocks the bass! :drool:

NYD and WOWY are good indeed, Streets is great, and for a riff Vertigo can be nice to play. Exit is a nice one too!

The basslines on Pop are excellent.

Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels
Gone
Please

Most of the songs actually lol.

However I think Lemon is his best work. There's an almost hypnotic quality to it.

Hey everyone, thanks for the great recommendations here! I haven't been able to get around to all of them in the past week due to how busy I've been, but I already made a list of all of them, and will definitely get around to trying all of them at some point in the near future. Either way, thanks again (and hey branwalls... no post is too long for me, haha.). Appreciate the help here!

Back
Top Bottom