Need help picking out an electic guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLOCK

The Fly
Umm well, I think that you should go for the good stuff. Don't bother getting a trash no name guitar and say "I'll get a better one later". It's easier to use the same guitar the whole time and get used to it. As far as guitars that you could pick I say go for something high end; Gibson, Fender, PRS, B.C. Rich. But make sure you like the FEEL of the guitar, and when your trying out the guitar that you like. Try it with the amp that you want to buy, so you can get a good idea of what kind of sound you can get. And don't worry too much if the sound doesn't sound EXACTLY the way you wanted. (Keep in mind, make sure it's not trash obviosly). You can always make the fine tuning adjustments later with pedals and changing your pickups, etc....

Good Luck, post what you got when you get it eh. <-ya I'm Canadian

Before today I wouldnt have agreed with Block, but I replaced the pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncans, and it sounds fantastic now!

Before this my "cheap" Epiphone did sound like crap, i just never realized it because it was my first electric guitar too. Having a decent guitar is sooooo much nicer to play and learn on. I've had this electric for almost a year and didnt like playing it all that much until now, I played half the day today after i got the guitar back from the shop, should have been studying since i have finals!

Anyway, do as Block says, buy a good guitar first, this doesnt mean you have to buy a $3000 les paul or something, but stay around the $1000 mark, this seems to be a good place. You can get the new Fender American series of Stratocasters and Telecasters for about $800, and they have a list price of $1150. These would be pretty good, i'm looking at getting a Telecaster or Strat myself this summer. anyways, my recommendations would be Fenders, Gibsons, PRS, or Rickenbackers.

I'm a relatively new player. Been playing acoustic for about 1.5 years, now.

So, now I'm looking to make the step up to an electric guitar and am in the market. I want to play U2 mostly, but also some good old fashioned rock (Springsteen, Eagles, etc.).

Does anyone have some suggestions??

Also, what about delay pedals and such? I'm not sure how all of that works, so a brief lesson from one of you generous folks would be appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

hi Inester, get the electric first and tackle the delay much later!
smile.gif
I hear Edge uses a Korg but his equipment is soooo expensive, virtually impossible to emulate the real thing.

Epiphone's aren't *that* bad, guys! Hey, don't get me down, cos I own one! :p

foray

------------------
The story of life is quick as the wink of an eye; The story of love is hello and goodbye. --Jimi Hendrix

Inester, everyone here pretty much agrees that you shouldnt buy a crap guitar first. If you know you are going to stick with it and learn no matter how hard it gets, its worth it. I'd reccomend a Fender Stratocaster. You can get Mexican made ones from $200-500 and American Series ones from $400-1000 depending on model.

Edge's equipment may be expensive and top of the line, but that's not to say his sound can't be emulated through other cheaper equipment. I strongly reccomend www.u2sound.de for reccomendations on delay. I have no need for a $300-400 Korg SDD model delay so I bought a cheap Korg AX1G. It has somewhere around 62 effects and Korg makes the delay so of course it sounds great. I get an Edge tone out of that little $100 box and then I have presets for many U2 songs. Good luck!

U2popmofo-

I was thinking about getting an Epi Les Paul standard. However, like you and the rest of the world, everyone says the pickups suck.

I've been playing for 4 years or so; however, I've never bought new pickups. So, what's the strategy for buying new pickups? I suppose I should just to to some shops and play some different guitars and find the humbuckers that I like.

What did you pay for yours and what's a reasonable price to pay for 2 humbuckers?

Tap

Keep with the guitar man....it's the best thing I've ever done in my life.

Umm...well from my understanding...and experience....most of the time...the older models have a better "feel" to me and a better sound .....most of the time....and the different types/models are basiclly just different body styles..and minor changes in the sound....(basically if you have a gibson people know the gibson sound)

and about hte amp...umm....well i went with something that i woulnd' have to buy different pedals for...this could be the wrong thing but im not too much into effects...and im not really trying to sound like anyone...so i don't really care what they are........so i got a "LINE6 SPIDER" its got shit loads of effects...and a fx board made for the amp.....i havn't gotten the board yet.....if your interested in getting the amp.....just email me ill tell you how good the board is or if its just a waste of money...... the_block_69@hotmail.com
i guess that is it......happy hunting

Tapdogg, I bought mine from Musicians friend. I'm not a good person to ask, i looked around a little, especially on Harmony Central. Read the reviews there, they're pretty good for pickups. I bought Seymour Duncans, a JB for the bridge, and a '59 for the neck, they are fantastic. the '59 seems to have more volume output, wish i could find one for the bridge too, but all i can see anywhere are neck models. it cost me $150 total, shipping included. One was $69, and the other $59. Not bad, Gibson makes some that are fantastic, but more expensive. the '59 Gibsons are supposedly excellent, but everyone tells you a different story, so who knows.

The only method i have is read reviews and then hope and pray you get the right ones!

Thanks for the help, guys.

At first, I'm gonna use the electric to continue my chord playing, as well as my apreggio style chord playing. I'm learning how to "pick", but figure it will be MUCH easier to learn on an electric.

I went and scoped out some guitars over the weekend. I'm thinking of getting a Fender Strat. However, I'm not sure about the differences between years and models...any info on that?

Also, what do you guys think about buying a guitar used? As long as it sounds good and is in good shape?

I'll hold off on the delay pedal for now, but need to know what kind of amp to get...any suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far!

Back
Top Bottom