Mysterious ways with korg A3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budgetedge

The Fly
Hi all.

I've only been on here a shirt while, but would like to thank everyone for there input and help.

Ok, so I guess I'm going to ask a question I probably know the answer too already. But other than the korg a3, is there anyway I can achieve the mysterious ways tone without the korg a3? Ive heard the a3 is hard to come by too.

I have seen YouTube vids of people's attempts without the a3, some good and some very bad.

Would love to be able to play one of my fav U2 hits.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Pigtronix Envelope Phaser will get you pretty close.

Check the opening bit of the video clip on Pro Guitar Shop .com
http://proguitarshop.com/pigtronix-ep2-envelope-phaser.html

Emma Discumbobulator is pretty good.

I have heard some get closer with the Axe FX. But even of those, I've not heard it nailed exactly.

Thanks, I've seen a clip on the pigtronix and sounds good. As states above, I guess the only way is a korg A3! Thanks for the info I'll check them both out again and see where I go with it!

I don't know that the A3 is worth the time and trouble. Many of the units on ebay and such are old and require various repairs. And most Tribute Edge's I've met use it for MW only.

Is it worth the trouble for one song IF one can find a suitable alternative? That is the question one might ask oneself.

I don't know that the A3 is worth the time and trouble. Many of the units on ebay and such are old and require various repairs. And most Tribute Edge's I've met use it for MW only.

Is it worth the trouble for one song IF one can find a suitable alternative? That is the question one might ask oneself.

I was lead to believe edge sculpted most of achtung baby aroun the A3? Zoo station, The Fly, End of the world, MW, ultraviolet love to name a few. Is this not the case?

True what you've said though, other songs on achtung baby can be achieved without the A3 ( if my statement above is right?) so is it worth buying a battered A3 for one tune?

What do all of you guys use for MW? A3? Multi pedals?

I was lead to believe edge sculpted most of achtung baby aroun the A3? Zoo station, The Fly, End of the world, MW, ultraviolet love to name a few. Is this not the case?

True what you've said though, other songs on achtung baby can be achieved without the A3 ( if my statement above is right?) so is it worth buying a battered A3 for one tune?

The intro to Lady with the Spinning Head is from the A3. I think Numb and some of the other Zooropa tunes too.

For me, unless you are planning on getting a midi controller to run rack gear or combo of rack and pedals... I sold mine, put it that way.

I am not using a rack. I can get most of those AB and Zooropa tunes with other gear. Edge used it for some stuff on AB and Zooropa but it doesn't appear that they have been used for much since... they are old, input are fragile, displays go bad...

Sort of like Dallas spoke of the SDD in the recent video... there is a certain point where you have to ask is it worth continually having to repair something? And in the case of the SDD, something that had a few things that would benefit with improvements (hence the new pedal).

Shame Korg hasn't thought of re-vamping the A3. If they did so, in a Line 6 HD floor pedal version, that might appeal to many. Of if the re-made the rack A3 and fixed some of it's issues.

What do all of you guys use for MW? A3? Multi pedals?

Pigtonix has PHASER and ENVELOPE in the same pedal. This is useful, saves pedalboard space and has the two main elements of that tone. (Add a bit of overdrive for a bit more 'growl').

I imagine if you had an phaser and envelope filter / auto wah and wanted to dial in the tone, along with some OD.... one could get close. But that seems more labor intensive than some of the other options.

I think some have stacked effects in M13's and HD500's and gotten a decent - sort of MW sound - but no where near exact.

Axe FX users seem to have gotten closer, particularly since the Ace FX 2 came out.

I would not be surprised to see the next tour with a half size rack with a couple Axe FX (probably 3-4) + a few of the new Vox/Korg SDD delay pedals in a pedal drawer, a few other specialty pedals (Synth Wah, maybe a DBA pedal or so...) and not much else.

Might have amps but much could be direct to the board from the Axe FX. Maybe a few in isolation boxes under the stage...

As they love the idea of 360 but have said the next tour would be arenas... I predict they will try for an 'in the round' setup. With the staging in the middle of the arena. This would mean they would need to maintain 360 degree sight lines again. And the use of the Axe to the house and a few isolated amps under the stage would work well.

Time will tell...

Sorry for digging old post, but anyway....

I believe Edge once played Mysterious Ways without Korg unit in Free Tibet concert in late 90s. I believe he was using wah pedal to get the usual auto-wah type sound. It did sound different, but it wasn't bad; this can mean that without all the fancy units, we might be able to roughly nail the sound.

Of course it's doable, but it's really nowhere near the WOOSH sound you get from the A3. Edge experimented quite a bit on that Free Tibet Concert (Until The End Of The World), but he was generally a bit more open for different things around Popmart time. Remember he also played "Please" at the MTV Awards w/out the Meatball and just a Wah instead. Also sounded great.

Sorry for digging old post, but anyway....

I believe Edge once played Mysterious Ways without Korg unit in Free Tibet concert in late 90s. I believe he was using wah pedal to get the usual auto-wah type sound. It did sound different, but it wasn't bad; this can mean that without all the fancy units, we might be able to roughly nail the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woiMJnxKpEA

Back
Top Bottom