My New Years Day cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
Tell me what you think of this. I just sat down today and belted this out. Overall, I think it sounds damn good for just figuring it out today.

I must have had my head up my ass during the solo because it sounds like I'm hair off the tempo...not sure why that is.

But how's the tone? How do you like my piano parts? I'm a big boy...I can handle criticism just fine so don't worry about giving an honest assessment.

Mike

http://www.angelfire.com/clone2/davi/

alright, i shall be the first one then :D the overall mix fair enough (i mean backing track and your guitar) isn't very equal, but that's the least thing to care about.

ill start with the down points:

- the tabs for the first verse you had right, but you always played them the same way. they usually mix up a bit

- the solo (2nd part): yeah you got out of tempo just a little bit at the beginning but caught up eventually

- didn't like the mute strumming very much (especially at 1:57-1:59). you're VERY close to edge's sound, but the strumming sounds a bit weird.

positive remarks:

- the overall sound was pretty good i thought, what did you use?

- you nailed the main riff (1:17) "dam-dam-dam. dam-dam-dam", well done

- the solo (all together) was pretty good and chilling (like always)

- the "i will follow" intro was nice :D

-----------------------
piano part played by guitar: matter of opinion, used to NYD with piano since day 1, so its hard thinking bout something else replacing that

all in all a good job! why didn't you use a good backing track though without bono/edge? you can mix it much better there as well!

mirrorballman said:
alright, i shall be the first one then :D the overall mix fair enough (i mean backing track and your guitar) isn't very equal, but that's the least thing to care about.

ill start with the down points:

- the tabs for the first verse you had right, but you always played them the same way. they usually mix up a bit

- the solo (2nd part): yeah you got out of tempo just a little bit at the beginning but caught up eventually

- didn't like the mute strumming very much (especially at 1:57-1:59). you're VERY close to edge's sound, but the strumming sounds a bit weird.

positive remarks:

- the overall sound was pretty good i thought, what did you use?

- you nailed the main riff (1:17) "dam-dam-dam. dam-dam-dam", well done

- the solo (all together) was pretty good and chilling (like always)

- the "i will follow" intro was nice :D

-----------------------
piano part played by guitar: matter of opinion, used to NYD with piano since day 1, so its hard thinking bout something else replacing that

all in all a good job! why didn't you use a good backing track though without bono/edge? you can mix it much better there as well!

Hey, thanks for being honest. Everything you said was exactly what I thought. I don't like the muted strumming either but I didn't point that out because I didn't want to put it in people's heads before they heard it.

As for the piano part, I only did that just to keep me involved. If was in a band or something I would never do that. That part has to be piano! :wink:

Keeping in mind that I just learned this song today, I'm pretty happy with it. By the weekend I should have it perfect.

for first time it's a very good job! :up:

as said, if your overall mix of the guitar isn't as dominant maybe the strumming is much better.

other than that you're good to go. as you said by the weekend you should nail this :)

if you need a good NYD backing track, download it here: http://u2recording.tripod.com/backing.html

hope to hear a new version after the weekend :wink: good luck and have fun!

I listened to this again.....wow, I really butchered the solo!! Lol...

The notes are easy but getting the right flow is a little trickier than I expected.

Taking the link down for now.......will repost in a few days.

Thanks for listening!!

Back
Top Bottom