my guitar playing has been taken over by the edge's influence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zackpew

Babyface
since i started really getting into U2 every guitar part i write is delay city. i got one of those Line 6 Echo Park pedals and i mean, damn i feel like im playing COBL in every song sometimes.

how has the edge affected your guitar playing/part writing?

i'm usually too lazy to plug all of my effects in. but i believe that the right amount of delay can make any guitar/vocal/keyboard part better.

I'm in a Radiohead cover band and I'm always trying to sneak in Edge like delays. Nothing wrong with adding a little delay. After all, distortion and wah's are time honored guitar effect classics and nobody says Jimi Hendrix when you start using them. Many guitarists beside the Edge use delay so delay is OK to use.

Worse if your actual guitarplaying becomes like the Edge and you find yourself forever coming up with Edgelike riffs and simple guitar solos. That should be your cue to dust of some Yngwie Malmsteen or Joe Satriani. Or anything else that is different. Ideally your guitarplaying style should be an unique blend of multiple influences, not just a copy of one influence.

discothequeLP said:
i'm usually too lazy to plug all of my effects in. but i believe that the right amount of delay can make any guitar/vocal/keyboard part better.

i think i have like 7 pedals on my board right now. and i dont even have the volume pedal plugged in! (doesnt leave enough room for the wah)

^ i didnt know you knew how to tapdance :yikes: . i have a good number too, and it gets pretty confusing (i have 3 volume pedals btw :D )

as for influences. . . it's always good to listen to a lot of different guitar players and learn a lot of new songs.

Well for me, I take some of the edge vibe at times for my playing. But I havent really incorporated delay in my song writing yet. I do take some arrangement ideas thou from U2.

Although the first few songs I learned were U2 songs, I've really tried to get away from Edge's sound. It pisses me off every time I think of reaching for that easy Beautiful Day chord shape (second half of the chorus..'touch me..').

Edge is a very unique guitar player, and I'm really actively trying not to sound like him anymore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom