Mofo screaming noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packcrush

The Fly
For ages now I've wanted to replicate that really cool noise Edge makes with his guitar during Mofo. I've watched the performance from the EMAs, and he just seems to hold a note, but the pitch is continually changing. Does anyone know what exactly he's doing here, and any effects he's using? Thanks.

Gavin.

Oh, this is my first post too. Hi! :wave:

So the Whammy will allow me to shift the pitch, but will it allow me to hold the note for that length of time? The Edge holds that note for well over 10 seconds when he plays those bits in Mofo live.

Yeah - a whammy will hold the note as long as your guitar will sustain it.

He's also using something else there, as well - I remember reading about his "rig" for that song in I think Q Magazine when Pop came out. There are several pedals at work there. Some sort of phaser, and a compressor, I remember that, along with the whammy.

I thought he wasn't producing that noise, that it was someone else... but now that i know, that's cool. Cause you can't really hear the "ordinary" guitar in that song..

i have a question about that note. . . it seems that Edge plays a single note, with the whammy set at an octave or two higher, and he chagnes the note with the pedal -- that is very very difficult to do! how does he do it! just plain skills or what?

discothequeLP said:
i have a question about that note. . . it seems that Edge plays a single note, with the whammy set at an octave or two higher, and he chagnes the note with the pedal -- that is very very difficult to do! how does he do it! just plain skills or what?

I was wondering about that too. I can handle the steady downward and upward technique, but my pedal just can't deal with the length of the note, no matter how much I tweak the settings. Whenever I try to play it on my RP-200, it just fuzzes out when I try to bring it back up again. I find that playing two notes of the same pitch at the same time helps to extend the sound for a little longer, but it still stinks. :sad: Must have something to do with Edge's setup.

Add some major compression. He's basically creating a bit of feedback loop there. A MXR DynaComp does wonders in creating this sound. Using a Herdim pick will help too b/c it will snap the string more. The right distortion is critical too as this will add sustain too, most likely he was using the SD-1 b/c that was his distortion workhorse for many years, but don't quote me on that. Lastly he's playing that song on his Les Paul Custom which can hold a note longer than any guitar out there. It's a combination pick-ups, fret, and heavy ass wood.

I believe Edge calls this his "747 sound" made by using the Korg SDD-3000 delay, a fuzz face, and the whammy pedal.

The key is to crank up the volume on your amp, this will add tons of sustain to the point of feedback.

chrisjnyc said:
I believe Edge calls this his "747 sound" made by using the Korg SDD-3000 delay, a fuzz face, and the whammy pedal.

The key is to crank up the volume on your amp, this will add tons of sustain to the point of feedback.

Everyone says this is the 747 sound, but in an interview in Guitar magazine back in 1997, he mentions the 747 sound is the sound in the intro to Gone. There was so much feedback, delay, reverb, and room echo that the whole thing (the music) could get away from you and sound like a 747 jet.

Hello!!
I love this song, specially live, is full of energy. My question is if is there any way of playing this song without having a whammy pitch sifter or a wah wah pedal. I´m a begginer and I only have a Zoom 505 pedal that allows me autowahwah. Any idea of how can i make the waka waka sound, and the scream sound? ??
Huge thanks!!

Venkman, I'm pretty sure he doesn't use the E-bow for it..

Elborde77, that waka waka sound you here I think is a backing track (what ever you call it) It is pre-recorded for the show in a studio... (I think it's also for that begining sound of Gone)

the Wacca wacca is him playing on his crybaby <watch just before it kicks in on the popmart video while Bono's shouting Mofo>

The backing track has the keyboard riff and one of the break beats on i it also has that weird backing vox that edge sings over the top of.

he dosent really need the ebow live because of the sustain/ compression and delay but Ive heard he has used it etc

chrisjnyc said:

Everyone says this is the 747 sound, but in an interview in Guitar magazine back in 1997, he mentions the 747 sound is the sound in the intro to Gone. There was so much feedback, delay, reverb, and room echo that the whole thing (the music) could get away from you and sound like a 747 jet.

It is both.. Edge uses it for Gone and for Mofo with the Korg..

Nah mate

Its exactly like the record

its a triggerd sample

he sings over the top of it

Beautiful Day does the same thing

have a listen

Back
Top Bottom