Mofo Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
Is the tab you find for Mofo on most sites correct for bass? I'm not sure that it is. can someone correct me or give me another tab please? Also, what effect does Adam use for the song? Synth?

Help!

Thanks

Its actually a keyboard bass that is used, not a guitar bass. I personally think the tabs posted sound ok for the live version IMO. A monosynth should get a good studio version sound. One thing though, it needs to be played fast!:wink: good luck!!

I've done it on a sequencer and a bass. The notes are the same, but you need to check the proper tuning.

It's a synth bass, but you can play it with some effects on a regular bass and make it sound good. Every Mofo bass tab I've seen is off, of course I don't read most U2 bass tabs because I play guitar mostly.

In concert it's tuned down half step, album may be as well but I am not positive, so again, check that, the live bass would then be G#, and so on..........

all on the A string
hit the E (7), strum open, hit the C (3), strum open, then hit the D (5), strum open, then do the ascending part C thru E (3-7) and start over again........

of course for proper timing, you need to listen and play along

a tab would look something like:
G------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------
A-7(h)0003(h)0005(h)000334455667---
E------------------------------------------------

Hit (h) the notes and strum the A open.
I used 3 (zeros) 0's for the hell of it on the open A, you'll have to strum at your own pace and play it by ear. I actually hit it about 4 times real fast, so whatever.......

The ascending bit is timing as well, I wouldn't swear to you how many times I play each note, but after listening to the record, or even a boot it's easy to pick up on. All timing.

That crude tab I typed out isn't perfectly transcribed, of course.
If it still doesn't sound right to you, I may need to explain it further, because I play it about as accurate as I could imagine, on a bass and not a synth.

Anyhow all you need is the notes and where they go, this bassline is 95% timing.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll give it a go. You're right though. From my previous efforts, the ascending bit is the hardest for timing. I have a Boss ME-50B. Anyone know any good synth settings on it?

Thanks a lot btw U2DMfan

Hmmm on a completely new topic does anyone know what Adam does on WTSHNN these days? There's a real nifty bit he does during the Chicago DVD. It's played much higher than on JT. Any ideas?

Agh, Timing for Mofo is unbelievable. I've been practisin all day and it's still hard to keep up with. Sore on the fingers and i'm still searchin for a good effect on this pedal. Definately amazing though. Physically tiring on the fingers too

Back
Top Bottom