MERGED ----> Guitar Tablature Archive? + The U2 Guitar Tab Archive Is Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to try to set up an email address that will auto-respond with the link :) i don't want to miss anyone!

WTF!! Bunch of bastards! Anyway, I go here alot, and they have some good U2 tabs, including some new ones. I think they're based in Russia so they don't give a F@$% what Universal says. Oh, and could someone please send me the link too:) pierce2r@uregina.ca
Ok, so they won't let me post the link here! Um, try this... with the triple w's of course.
ultimate-guitar dot com /tabs/u2_tabs

The U2 Guitar Tab Archive is Dead...

I like some other Interference members in the Three Chords and the Truth forum, noticed the U2 Guitar Tab Archive (the most complete U2 tabulature site on the net) was down and just re-linking to interference.com opening page. I'm sad/ disgusted to learn that it is as of now dead. Elvis made it known in a thread in that forum. Here are some excerpts of what was said (by Elvis and someone else.)

written by Elvis

We've been forced by Universal Publishing to remove the Lyrics Archive and Guitar Archive. Its just a matter of time until they go after the other sites with them as well....

Apparently because U2 signed an exclusive deal with Universal Publishing, and UP has the publishing rights... and the rights to enforce copyright of compositions (which include lyrics and tabs). So unless we, and other fan sites, want to license them for $$$$ they'll all slowly vanish off the net. According to them, even linking to them on another site now violates copyright law as 'distribution' and they are willing to pursue legal action in order to enforce this. lame.

written by maro_chik

Now, I don't know a whole lot about copyrights or anything, but...

Aren't most of the tabs on the Guitar Archive simply peoples' own interpretations of how the music is played? I could understand if Universal asked that tabs from say, The U2 Songbook were removed. But alot of people spent alot of time figuring out tabs and chords.

Olga.net states that "This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the song." So I'm not sure I understand how Universal can demand that *all* tabs be removed.

written by Elvis

olga.net is misinformed.

All the tabs and lyrics, although transcribed by someone , even if different from the original 'composition' are indeed derivative works of the 'composition' and therefore are copyright U2. If you're angry about this... feel free to contact PM (propaganda@numb.ie) or Universal publishing (located in Santa Monica, CA --- look it up in the phone book(online)).

All right... things such as "selling out," high ticket prices, musical direction, money grubbing, etc... I let it slide. Hell, deep inside somewhere I'm a capitalist. More power to U2 to become as super successful financially as well as musically. But in my ranting and venting way, I just have to get this off my chest.

Hell, I'm sure U2, themselves- don't care what I think, but here it goes.

This archive was a RESOURCE and techincally was used by people to learn how to play U2 songs. Maybe get a better understanding of the music or even freakin' spread the music of U2 to other people. I'm no guitar genius so I need all the help I can get which is, I'm sure the same with many fans. A resource such as this which was IMO basically fans' interpretations/ observations of how U2 might be playing their songs gets taken down by a company connected with U2 (I might be wrong but isn't Interscope just a subsidiary of Universal?) right before the release of the new album (hmmmm :censored:) ... something like that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

People will say buy the tab books. You're stealing money needed to feed Bono, the Edge's and Larry's children. :huh: :mad: :|

Well, one of the reasons why this archive was great was because it was so freaking complete (outside of the new songs which were slowly being tabbed anyways). There were songs on there which IMO will never come out in tab books released by the band. I've known about this tab site to be around forever... LOL or basically when I was in college which was in the late 90s -around the time of POP. It was convenient, interesting, and a boon to me who needs help all the time or is too lazy to figure out chords or solo / riff bits. They were also putting out bass tabs and drum tabs as well. To me I can understand about guarding against music piracy alah audio files but this about learning how to play their songs! Poof! Gone! And I can only think that U2 somehow is connected to this (maybe not)...I dunno... I'm seriously not feeling good about this. :| :sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom