Mercy guitar effects?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be one of the fuzz / distortions from the DM 4 along with some delay.

On the studio version, it seems the intro bit might be the bridge position but the guitar melody seems to be the neck position.

I'm not 100% sure of the guitar. I've played it on my Explorer and it seems close. It could also be any of the Les Paul Customs or the Goldtop. I guess that it could be the SG too.

If you watch "It Might Get Loud" you can see Edge playing Boots on a few guitars, including the SG. So it is possible that he doesn't think of the SG as JUST the "Elevation" guitar and that he's tried it for other tunes.

As far as the studio version, it could not be the MR Les Pauls as they didn't exist when that recording was made.

Maybe fuzz gun and the delay

While one could try a fuzz gun.... The Edge didn't have a Fuzz Gun when "Mercy" was originally recorded in 2003/2004.

Live version didn't improve on the studio version, in my view.

This is kind of irrelevant. It's like saying "who cares what effects Edge used on Bullet The Blue Sky on the Elevation Tour, because it didn't improve upon the ZooTV version."

Since the OP didn't mention studio or live, we have to assume both are relevant. Which you personally believe is better doesn't really matter to this conversation.

My opinion doesn't matter to the conversation? Really? :lol:

I didn't say that either version was irrelevant. So assume all you want.

I was merely stating that the song arrangement, to me, was better on the original recording.

This is kind of irrelevant. It's like saying "who cares what effects Edge used on Bullet The Blue Sky on the Elevation Tour, because it didn't improve upon the ZooTV version."

Since the OP didn't mention studio or live, we have to assume both are relevant. Which you personally believe is better doesn't really matter to this conversation.

I was merely stating that the song arrangement, to me, was better on the original recording.

:up: I agree with that. Studio version is better than the re-worked versions played on 360.

As for the sound, I have no idea what Edge is using. I've been working out the sounds with my Line 6 M13 and I paired two drives together with a delay. I used:

Tube Drive & TS9 Screamer. The Screamer's drive was set lower than the Tube Drive's drive setting and I've forgotten how much output I had on each drive. The Screamer was working more as a Boost. I used just the Screamer for the verses and then paired Screamer and Tube Drive for the chorus. I'm basing my sound off of the 360 live versions. I've managed to get pretty decently close but I need to tweak it a little more, which is why I asked for the BT from breathe. As soon as I get everything the way I like it I'll upload a clip.

:up: I agree with that. Studio version is better than the re-worked versions played on 360.

As for the sound, I have no idea what Edge is using. I've been working out the sounds with my Line 6 M13 and I paired two drives together with a delay. I used:

Tube Drive & TS9 Screamer. The Screamer's drive was set lower than the Tube Drive's drive setting and I've forgotten how much output I had on each drive. The Screamer was working more as a Boost. I used just the Screamer for the verses and then paired Screamer and Tube Drive for the chorus. I'm basing my sound off of the 360 live versions. I've managed to get pretty decently close but I need to tweak it a little more, which is why I asked for the BT from breathe. As soon as I get everything the way I like it I'll upload a clip.

Thanks everyone for your output! Cant wait to hear that clip! I am trying to get that sound out of my me-25.....not really working :lol: I am getting a m13 in a few months THANK GOD!

Look forward to your clip. :up:

yeah, i know but the sound in the live version is different...

Live version didn't improve on the studio version, in my view.

My opinion doesn't matter to the conversation? Really? :lol:

I didn't say that either version was irrelevant. So assume all you want.

I'm sorry, but do you really not understand the difference between responding to which effects are in use on a song and whether you like the live version or the studio version? I'm really kind of confused here as to why you think your opinion on which version is better adds any relevant information to the question posed by the original poster.

It's like person A asking, "What effects are used on New Year's Day?" with person B responding, "AXFX and DM4!" (or whatever he currently uses live) and then person C saying, "No, SD1 and Memory Man!" (or whatever he used on the original recording), and then person B responds, "I was merely stating what is used live." and person C responds, "I like the studio version better." What relevance does that have? I am actually posing this question - it's not a rhetorical.

I get it. You don't like my answer. You don't have to like it.

The fact is, there are two known arrangements. The tones are not identical in both. I mentioned the version I liked better. And that is the version that I have work on the tones a bit. (On topic)

By mentioning the opinion, it also invites compare in contrast conversation on the differences. (Still on topic)

That is relevant, whether you think so or not.

It's a forum. I can answer how I want, whether you like the answer or not.

I'm sorry, but do you really not understand the difference between responding to which effects are in use on a song and whether you like the live version or the studio version? I'm really kind of confused here as to why you think your opinion on which version is better adds any relevant information to the question posed by the original poster.

It's like person A asking, "What effects are used on New Year's Day?" with person B responding, "AXFX and DM4!" (or whatever he currently uses live) and then person C saying, "No, SD1 and Memory Man!" (or whatever he used on the original recording), and then person B responds, "I was merely stating what is used live." and person C responds, "I like the studio version better." What relevance does that have? I am actually posing this question - it's not a rhetorical.

I get it. You don't like my answer. You don't have to like it.

The fact is, there are two known arrangements. The tones are not identical in both. I mentioned the version I liked better. And that is the version that I have work on the tones a bit. (On topic)

By mentioning the opinion, it also invites compare in contrast conversation on the differences. (Still on topic)

That is relevant, whether you think so or not.

It's a forum. I can answer how I want, whether you like the answer or not.

It's not that I don't like your answer. I don't care which version you like better. It's just this is a discussion about tone and effects on a song. It would have been much easier for you to just say, "here's what I use on the studio version:..." and leave it at that. I'm sorry, but the way you made that statement in reply to Rockhound seems very high and lofty and quite frankly snobby. But this is an internet forum so maybe I'm misinterpreting that. I'm just letting you know, to the outsider, who wasn't a part of the conversation, that that's the way it looks within the context.

It's not that I don't like your answer. I don't care which version you like better. It's just this is a discussion about tone and effects on a song. It would have been much easier for you to just say, "here's what I use on the studio version:..." and leave it at that. I'm sorry, but the way you made that statement in reply to Rockhound seems very high and lofty and quite frankly snobby. But this is an internet forum so maybe I'm misinterpreting that. I'm just letting you know, to the outsider, who wasn't a part of the conversation, that that's the way it looks within the context.

Nothing snobby about it. Sorry if you saw it that way. Just offered my thought on it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

In the 360 tour vrrsion i think he uses the harmonic trans or fuzz gun and a delay... A second option could be dm4 with fuzz pi effect... The second option is because maybe he used that effect for the studio recording of he song between 2003-2004

In the 360 tour vrrsion i think he uses the harmonic trans or fuzz gun and a delay... A second option could be dm4 with fuzz pi effect... The second option is because maybe he used that effect for the studio recording of he song between 2003-2004

I think the DM4 is a good place to start, as "Mercy" was written and recorded during the HTDAAB sessions... and the Line 6 DM4 seemed to be the 'new toy' getting a lot of use during those sessions.

Which models? I'm not 100% certain but I think that The Fuzz Face, RAT or Big Muff 'settings' could be in play. Might be a comp/boost to push it a bit.

Another thing might be the amp. The Fenders were getting more use in the studio when this was recorded. So it's possible that the Fender Deluxe's were in the mix and might be part of the live tone too.

Back
Top Bottom