LP Pickups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
Rediscovering the forum has really killed any productivity I may have had. I am learning a lot though...

Does anyone know what pickups are in Edge's Les Pauls? I assume they're different since he uses different LPs for different songs. The ones that come to mind are:

Goldtop
Custom White
Custom White #2
Music Rising

I have an LP with Burstbuckers and I can pretty much nail the sound of UTEOTW which makes me think his Goldtop has Burstbuckers in it...

• 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom has T-Tops.
  • 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom has T-Tops.
  • 2008 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Clone of 1975), I am uncertain but as it was a clone of the 1975, I'd guess that it has T-Tops.
  • 2006 Epiphone Les Paul Music Rising has Epiphone Alnico Classic humbucking pick-ups.
  • 2005 Gibson Les Paul Music Rising has Gibson 490R at the neck and 498T at the bridge
  • 1982 Gibson 30th Anniversary Les Paul Custom had a "PAF Reissue" humbucking pick-ups.

* This information per my conversation with a guy from Gibson.
** The 1975 LP Custom, I saw the pickups up close and personal when the guitar was on display at Guitar Center a few years back.

Rediscovering the forum has really killed any productivity I may have had. I am learning a lot though...

Does anyone know what pickups are in Edge's Les Pauls? I assume they're different since he uses different LPs for different songs. The ones that come to mind are:

Goldtop
Custom White
Custom White #2
Music Rising

I have an LP with Burstbuckers and I can pretty much nail the sound of UTEOTW which makes me think his Goldtop has Burstbuckers in it...

now the diffrenece is between two cream Les Paul. the number 1 uses more neck than bridge Pu and number 2 the bridge than neck. i say the old auctioned number 2

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

now the diffrenece is between two cream Les Paul. the number 1 uses more neck than bridge Pu and number 2 the bridge than neck. i say the old auctioned number 2

I don't remember these two LPs having so much differences; it could be that these were used in different songs; I mean, number 1 was used in more "rock" songs that needs to cut, and number 2 was often used in thicker-sounding passages. :wave:

The auction LP custom had T-Tops. I saw it up close when it was on display at Guitar Center.

The remaining vintage LP custom probably has the same. But as I've not seen it up close, I can't confirm.

Per Bob Burns (at Gibson), the 30th Anniversary LP came w/ PAF REISSUE pickups. (designed by Tim Shaw).

The 1976 Limited Edition Explorer came with Bill Lawrence Super Humbuckers (Tar backs). These are supposed to have more highs and bass, compared to the 1957's (and the reissues that were put in the 30th Anniversary Goldtop), this info also per Bob Burns at Gibson.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Wait, so his explorer naturally has scooped sound and that's why his sound was really clean (meaning not too much mids) in the beginning?

its possible the les Paul "1" had a PAF pickups? i remember las vegas in 2005 he replaced that guitar for the goldtop to play zoo station because the number 1 was tuned in standard to play one with mary j blidge

Being an early to mid-70's LPs... The original p'ups would be T-Tops.

Could the remaining LP (w/ the black knobs) have had p'ups swapped out at some point? I suppose that it's possible.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

But I think he used that one for the documentary From the Sky Down, the tone was reminiscent of T-tops when they were playing One , thou. Tons of top end, decent output (I mean, they're hum buckers, I know) and awesome amount of definition provided by strong magnet. I don't think that tone was produced by PAF-stype pups, which tends to be more round and bass-rich sound.

Goldtop
Custom White
Custom White #2
Music Rising

I would definitely agree the 75 LP (No 2) and the cloned are T Top open top humbuckers with Schaller open face covers I’m also assuming Edge used a Schaller bridge instead of the ABR as well as replacing the original machine heads to Schaller ones.
I can’t imagine Edge using an ABR/Nashville when they are prone for rocking

Back
Top Bottom