LP Custom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Pac_Mule

Refugee
I have an alpine white LP custom (epi) and I'm turning it into a vintage 70-80's custom. What can I do to change the finish from white to yellow, I know it kinda naturally changes overtime, but is there a way I can "speed" it up, or anything that could change it?

I read in a guitar mag that if you take off the plastic hardware and soak it in tea it will yellow it. I dunno about the paint itself, but I guess UV light would do it as everything I have that is white plastic has yellowed from sunlight.

oh btw, soaking it in tea, do you remember anything else about this technique? It seems like a bad idea to put your guitar in a vat of liquid, even if the hardwares removed...:huh:

:wink: wouldnt that ruin the wood though????

EDIT: it seems that tea/coffee is for the plastic parts only, correct?

Last edited:
Yes, the tea is for the hardware. :lmao: I think you misinterpreted that a wee bit. ;D

Hmm, boot polish Im not sure about, especially if the paint has varnish over it. If its just bare paint though, try taking off the metal neck plate off and doing a tester patch under that. There is of course a danger it'll go brown. :huh:

Actually, you could, (if its bare paint) try maybe rubbing a teabag on the body? :shrug:

Yes, the tea is for the hardware. I think you misinterpreted that a wee bit. ;D

I think I did :wink:

my guitar has a set neck, but I thought of trying on the back. I've read a lot of reviews about it actaully working, and with before and after pics..

Back
Top Bottom