Looking for an Explorer, what would be Edge approved?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoKKeR

Refugee
Hey folks. So after seeing an Explorer pop up on my local classifieds, almost pulling the trigger and then having it snatched away, I'm on the hunt for an Explorer! I don't really own any Edge approved guitars right now but want to start gradually doing so over the next few years.

So I'm looking for that natural finish Explorer and damn is it elusive. There's also the question of whether or not the bridge, knobs, and pickups are golden and there seems to be a lot of variation out there. I'm simply not very well versed in guitar lingo (even though I'm trying to get better) so a lot of the specifics are lost on me when looking around. I think, though, after a bit of searching, I'm looking for a 1976 reissue. I've found that maybe 12-20 of these have been sold on Ebay within the past two months within a reasonable price range, yet there is a slight variation between them all. The '76 seems to have been reissued every once in a while throughout the 2000's. Would this be the best option for an Explorer similar to Edge's?

Also, what's the chance of Gibson doing a reissue of the Explorer with that natural finish? Is it worth waiting it out and avoiding the hassle of buying used for a chance at picking up a new one in a future? These are the things I don't know about and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I have a 2004 Gibson Explorer in heritage cherry. I always felt it was close enough to me. Correct me if Im wrong but I believe Ive seen play a heritage cherry explorer? Anyways I swapped all the chrome hardware to gold and put in Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups in it and it sounds perfect, combined with my Vox AC15HW1X. Any explorer made past the 70's you're going to want to put different pickups in if you want a more "Edge" tone because they're hot pickups designed for heavier music. I like the seth lovers because they sound great when I play both U2 and Metallica ;)

BTW - Amongst the natural finish Explorer, which Edge owns many… Edge owns a black 1976 Explorer.

Sweet! :applaud:

Still, I've always wanted a Black Fender with black pickguard and CBS headstock because of the Under a Blood Red Sky vid. The same applies to a natural finish Explorer. Only got it in black because it came along my way.

Thanks for the input here. Think I'd be way to nervous to polish a black one down to natural finish! Didn't know Edge had a black one but I think I still much prefer that natural finish. Keeping my eye on Ebay and other places for ones that pop up.

Well, I just got one! Popped up on Ebay a few hours ago, made and offer and it was just accepted! It's in unplayed condition, no scratches, dings, dents, essentially new.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

So excited! My first "Edge" guitar. Gong to replace the knobs with Gold Speed Knobs from Gibson and maybe put some golden pickup covers on to get it even closer to Edge's look.

How much did you get it for?

Made the offer of $1150 and he accepted it. Was looking around at the prices of some of the other '76 reissues and that's right in the range they were going for, maybe a bit more. But given the condition and the fact that it's borderline new warranted an extra few dollars I reckoned.

Arrives friday, ridiculously excited. Will be sure to take some good pictures!

Back
Top Bottom