Line 6 Pod XT Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
I've been searching for a new Multi Effects pedal, and I've been scanning through the old threads and it looks like this pedal is the favorite. Would you still recommend this pedal, or is there a better effects pedal I should get? Any Cons to buying this pedal I should know about?

Hi. As you may have seen if you were looking though the news groups, I just bought the Line 6 a have been playing with it for a couple of days.

I am primarily using it hooked up to my computer playing outputting through a set of high quality KOSS headphones.

The tones that I have been getting from it are excellent and I have been very impressed so far.

The unit has some definite advantages:
1) The amp modeling is excellent and it is possible to get a lot of very different kinds of sounds out of your guitar. I have been able to get respectible versions of most U2 sounds and other great tones.

2) The connectivity is great. You can edit patches on the computer via USB and that is much easier than being slouched over fiddling with nobs on the box. You can also backup your patches and download patches other people have made. You can also connect a variax guitar if you have one. (I don't.)

3) It can be optimized for different output modes depending on your amp setup. (I personally think that "studio- direct" is the best way to play guitar in your appartment and not make enemies with the neighbors.)

4) The price is reasonable for what you get. I've seen "B stock" units (store demos, damaged box etc.) being sold over the net for $329 USD.

5) The pedals are big and you can add & remove effects from each patch easily. You can also tweak the amp EQ of each patch on the fly. There is a "tap" pedal that lets you set the temp of the song for delay & mod effects (very useful for playing U2 songs)

6) You can use MIDI to automate just about anything that the unit can do for your live performances.

Disadvantages
1) Though some preset tones are excellent, most are not so great. Expect to spend a lot of time tweaking if you really want to get a sound you like. Similarly, a lot of the tones on the customtones.com website are not so impressive.

2) The unit is quite big and bulky. The USB cable that it comes with was too short for my purposes. I will have to buy a longer one.

3) You have to pay an extra $100 for the add-on effects and model packs.

The major competitors are the BOSS and Digitech units. I don't know much about them, except that the BOSS GT-8 has some very interesting gimmicks and is very highly rated by its users. With that unit, you can split the 2 channels and give them different tones. It also lets you change between the 2 tones by the strength of your picking.

I hope that I've answered some of your questions. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and I highly recommend the XT Live.

POD XT Live and playing Streets

The big question that I'm sure everyone is asking is can you use the XT Live to get a good sound for playing Streets.

Well, I made a demo of me playing guitar for Streets using the XT Live along with the superb backing track on the U2 Patch Archive.

You can download my demo at

s49. you send it. com/d.aspx?id=3BM6DRCELS8042ZVLMC2QQXPOX

Tell me what you think...
DZ

It sounds good DanZigs, a little out of tune, but good!
What are you playing for the chorus- could you tab it out.

All the info you gave me is great, thanks for the help. I'm still undecided, I'm considering the Boss pedal also.

Out of tune?! ;)

I play the chorus like this (I tabbed the changes, not the individual notes):

e---------------------------
B-10-8-7---7-8-7-8-7-
G-7--7-7---7-7-7-7-7--
D-7--7-7---7-7-7-7-7--
A---------------------------
E----------------------------

e---------------------------
B-10-8-7--7--7-8-7-8-7-
G-7--7-7--9--7-7-7-7-7--
D-7--7-7--7--7-7-7-7-7--
A---------------------------
E----------------------------

On the Rattle & Hum DVD, you can see that Edge is playing it more as a modified open D chord. However, I find this way more confortable.

Have fun playing.

the guitar sounds a bit out of tune, and the tone needs more bite/overdrive. Edge doesn't use chorus for Streets (or for any song, i think :huh: ). and the Delay time Edge uses is around 370ms.

Regarding the delay time, there are actually two delays in stereo. That was the main effect that I was trying to reproduce with the sound patch. For more details about that see the webpage "A Study of The Edge's (U2) Guitar Delay".
(Search for that string in google because I can't post the link)

Back
Top Bottom