Let's see YOUR Edge guitars!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't been on this forum in a loooooong time! Earlier this summer I got this Strat, sort of as a graduation present to myself for completing high school (I don't know how I did it). I'd always wanted a strat and I wasn't really too picky about what kind and specifics. I just knew I wanted a guitar that was solidly built and played great and of course sounded like a strat (all single coil pickups, none of that stupid humbucker in the bridge on a strat crap).

For those that want to see the pics and not read my big story scroll down past this. :wink:

While this guitar isn't a Fender (and considering an American made Fender won't in my budget), I kind of took a shot at one of these Vintage Modified models. Now I own a Vintage Modified Squier bass that I love so I kind of trusted myself on this one. I did some reading about these guitars and soaked up what I could about em. I've played Squier's Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe strats before and I've been very impressed, so much so that I think they are better than Mexican made Fenders. I got this 70s Vintage Modified Squier for just under $300 new. It's supposed to be based on a 70s guitar with modern updates. When it arrived I took it out of the box and inspected it. It was pretty much perfect out of the box. It could of used a few slight adjustments, depending on your preferences. It had low action, which I really don't mind (I kind of love it on this guitar to be honest). The pickups are actually set a little low on this so I may need to raise them at some point but for now it's okay. The pickups actually are quite hot. But I totally dig them right now. Might change them out later for something a little quieter but they're still a solid set. The neck is a gloss finished neck (which I LOVE) and it's one of the most comfortable necks I've played, especially so for my small hands. I plugged it into my AC30 and BAM! there was that glassy, smooth strat sound I'd been looking for. Perfect. I ran it through some effects. Some "Streets"-like delay, some distortion and overdrive, some chorus, pretty much a little bit of everything. It was solid right out of the box. I was happy, it felt like a dream in my hands.

These thoughts are my own so I may be the only one who thinks these are such amazing guitars but they really are a great bang for your buck. There's a lot of quality in these models. I think the Classic Vibe series are little bit better but you still can't go wrong with the VM series. It looks a lot like Edge's all black strat which is neat, that's not a big reason why I bought it btw. But it looked cool as hell so I had to get it in this finish. Here's some pics of it:

strat5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

strat4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

strat1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

strat3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Screen cap of me playing it from a video I made recently:

strat6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Haven't been on this forum in a loooooong time! Earlier this summer I got this Strat, sort of as a graduation present to myself for completing high school (I don't know how I did it). I'd always wanted a strat and I wasn't really too picky about what kind and specifics. I just knew I wanted a guitar that was solidly built and played great and of course sounded like a strat (all single coil pickups, none of that stupid humbucker in the bridge on a strat crap). ......

The best guitar is the guitar you like best. It doesn't matter where its made or what it says on the headstock.

Ok - some great guitars on here - loving the all black strat more and more, almost picked on up. I did however, pick up this non-edge, but very U2 guitar. Hope you like as much as I do!
IMG_5162_zps4f3f417d.jpg

IMG_5163_zps43769c1c.jpg

Which Tribute do you work with?

Here's one I put together recently...

EdgeStrat2002_zps09de9cf3.jpg

This is a "new" Fender Classic Series 70's Strat with Ash Body that has been modified to replicate the look and sound of Edge's '74 Strat. I 'm the guitar manager for the "Edge" player of a Professional U2 Tribute Band in Los Angeles. This Strat is identical to the one I put together for him. An "MX" Strat was chosen to obtain the Ash Body for tone (American Vintage Series 70's Strat in black is Alder).

The Good Stuff:

1) Di Marzio DP110 FS-1 Bridge Pickup <--Rated at 13.35k, I measured it at 14.3k
2) Machine Bolt Threaded Neck System <--This is the BEST mod for ANY Fender.
3) Handmade Solid Brass Saddles crafted by Master Luthier Dan Lenz
4) Double Ground on Spring Claw to both Volume and Tone Pots
5) Upgraded Trem Springs (for High Tension)
6) Two Black-Tip Trem Arms - Short & Long
7) Black Plastic Swap
8) Complete Fret Dress targeting 3/1000 relief in Eb setup with 10-46 Strings.
9) Fender TSA Hard Case Upgrade
10) Brand New Elixir Nanoweb Light Strings 10-46

$ in = about $1400 but its one of the most insane Strats I've ever played. I actually have two of these. The other is an American Vintage 70's with the same mods but an Alder Body. I think the MX sounds better through the AC30.

Complete Slideshow: 2011 Fender Edge Stratocaster

Joe is a fantastic guy. I just met him fairly recently. I go back 25 years with their new "Hollywood Edge."

An Strat Dubh

New addition...

2002 MIM Standard Stratocaster. Seems to have been modded. I don't remember a black on black Fender Strat being an option for a while -- Other than in the Squier family.

I walked into Guitar Center. They had it on the wall. Used. $199.99

How could one turn down a decent Strat for $200.00? One can't!

Latest addition -- 1992 Washburn Woodstock Festival EA20

Latest addition -- 1992 Washburn Woodstock Festival EA20

Similar to that used by Edge during the ZOO TV tour. I found this one on eBay. Pretty great shape for a 22 year old guitar - and for a mere $290.00

Here's a few of mine...

...1976 Gibson Ltd Ed Explorer & 2006 Gretsch Country Classic (Country Gentleman)

167041_1714207610014_1082890518_1887900_7374232_n.jpg

The Country Classic was the name that Gretsch used in the interim years when they didn't have right to the 'Chet Atkins' name or Chet Atkins models' names.

Below are some of my guitars. Some belong to the guitar player that I used to work with.

The three on the right are mine.

Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 330, Fernandes RetroRocket Elite (same as Edge's WOWY RetroRocket) and my Epiphone Les Paul Music Rising.

167693_1714207370008_1082890518_1887899_7145035_n.jpg

Below, is my 1998 Fender 'Eric Clapton' Stratocaster. Same configuration as used by The Edge for "Desire" and "The Fly" during the Zoo TV tours, minus the cool snake and skeleton graphic.

Clapton-Strat-1998-pewter-1.jpg

Below, is my Washburn Woodstock Festival acoustic. It's similar to the black one Edge used in the "I Still Haven't Found..." video; and that Bono used in the "With Or Without You" video. Plus, Edge had the tobacco version that he used often during the 1980's and early 1990's.

l_b32e163c774807870f21e9a771387d2f.jpg

And the guitar below is Edge-related, as it is my Taylor acoustic that was signed by Daniel Lanois.

Taylor-306-signed_by_Daniel_Lanois.jpg

I'm i being stupid or did you work for U2/edge?

You mention the photo showed guitar of a guitar player you worked for? A les Paul with 'music rising' on it? That's edges charity!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm i being stupid or did you work for U2/edge?

You mention the photo showed guitar of a guitar player you worked for? A les Paul with 'music rising' on it? That's edges charity!

Yep those are photos of my guitars. The MR Les Paul is mine too.

I don't work for U2. But if Dallas needs a helper, he is welcome to ask!

I worked as a "Dallas" for a U2 tribute for a few years. I don't work for them any longer.

I used to loan that tribute Edge some of my Edge-guitars, so that things would be as authentic as possible. (He had some great stuff too - Great Strat, LP Custom and Goldtop)

The Gibson Explorer in the photos is an actual 1976 Limited Edition with the thicker neck, that Edge prefers.

1976's came in two batches. One with a thinner neck. One with a thicker neck. Edge prefers the thicker neck of the Limited Ed. Explorers.

Yep those are photos of my guitars. The MR Les Paul is mine too.

I don't work for U2. But if Dallas needs a helper, he is welcome to ask!

I worked as a "Dallas" for a U2 tribute for a few years. I don't work for them any longer.

I used to loan that tribute Edge some of my Edge-guitars, so that things would be as authentic as possible. (He had some great stuff too - Great Strat, LP Custom and Goldtop)

The Gibson Explorer in the photos is an actual 1976 Limited Edition with the thicker neck, that Edge prefers.

1976's came in two batches. One with a thinner neck. One with a thicker neck. Edge prefers the thicker neck of the Limited Ed. Explorers.

Well dip me in shit! You lucky git, beautiful guitars mate. If it's alright to ask, how much do the music rising one cost?

Well dip me in shit! You lucky git, beautiful guitars mate. If it's alright to ask, how much do the music rising one cost?

The Epiphone MR were $699.00 around the time of the pre-order. I've seen them listed at $999.00 after the fact. All the money (or at least the majority, it's been said) went to Music Rising.

Check eBay. One might pop up.

I have not heard or played many Epiphone LP's that I liked. I got lucky with this one. It plays and sound pretty great. It also came with wall-mounted plaque handsigned by The Edge with a guitar hanger.

The Epiphone MR were $699.00 around the time of the pre-order. I've seen them listed at $999.00 after the fact. All the money (or at least the majority, it's been said) went to Music Rising.

Check eBay. One might pop up.

I have not heard or played many Epiphone LP's that I liked. I got lucky with this one. It plays and sound pretty great. It also came with wall-mounted plaque handsigned by The Edge with a guitar hanger.

Sweet. There really are too many guitar out there I want and not enough dough to get them! Nice to dream.

http://m.soundcloud.com/budgetedge/with-or-without-you

My guitars

Hi, my guitars and amps;

Vox AC30 England with Blue speakers
Vox AC30 Hand Wired with Blue speakers
1978 - Fender Stratocaster Black
1999 - Gibson Explorer 76' Limited Edition
2008 - Gibson Les Paul Custom VOS 68

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg