Les Pauls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattyUK

The Fly
Hey again!! Im getting a lespaul copy free of charge from my mate. Its branded eleca, but my mate reckons its virtually the same as the epiphone version? I was seriously considering buying a new epiphone les paul custom.......but im not sure if this is just a waste of money if i can get a free gutair?

Hey :wave:

Here's what you do.. Is there any chance that you could try out the eleca before you take it? Also before you buy the Epiphone you should try it out too..

And there's always that chance that if you love both you can buy the epiphone and get the eleca for free:wink:

tpsglick2424 said:
Hey :wave:

Here's what you do.. Is there any chance that you could try out the eleca before you take it? Also before you buy the Epiphone you should try it out too..

And there's always that chance that if you love both you can buy the epiphone and get the eleca for free:wink:

Hey, thanks for your reply. Well the Eleca is being shipped over from the states to me in the UK for free as a gift from my friend. So I get to keep it either way!! I have read some reveiws that its a very good gutair so im hopeing its what I want! I am very new to playing, so I think maybe it will be ok to learn on! I would also like to try an epiphone, or even a Gibson to see the difference at some point ! While I am here, can anyon e recommend an effects pedal for me as I plan on learning U2!

Yeah, I could tell you a lot of things to get...

Just so I know before I start what is your price range?

Also with the guitars...I think it is a great idea to just start on the Eleca since you're a beginer at guitar....If you get better and more serious go for the Epiphone, but if you know you're really serious just go for the Gibson since it is a beautiful/amazing guitar...

tpsglick2424 said:
Yeah, I could tell you a lot of things to get...

Just so I know before I start what is your price range?

really, I have no idea of the prices!! I dont really want to spend more than £100 on a pedal if thats possible......

Cool...

Ill just show you with a lot of stuff that edge has or that you can replicate...

Here is the memory man, it's worth about 195 euros but you can play mostly all of their early stuff...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Deluxe-Memory-Man-Pedal?sku=153306

The Whammy is another cool effect to use but it is over 100 euros..Edge uses this on Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me, Even better than the real thing, a part of Beautiful Day, Mofo (for the screaching sound) and Gone.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Whammy-Pedal-with-MIDI-Control?sku=150171

Here's the Ibanez TS-9, it is used on Until the end of the world...Which is in your price range...
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-TS9-i21944.music?match=1

Now for Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways and The Fly, etc. You can buy the Korg A3...The Korg A3 is out of production and is found on Ebay...You will sometimes find them for really cheap or really expensive like this one..
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc.../ws/&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=korg+A3&category0=

If you end up buying it, make sure it is with the SP-1 card because that is where Edge gets his sounds...

Now this one is very over the top in prices BUT you will get 98% of Edge out of this...Some people argue with me about this but I've also talken to people and have used their system and I find THIS system to be the best out there to copy Edge's stuff..
http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=103157&source=froogle

You even have a harmonizer in there (which is a big part of With Or Without You)
To play with or without you you need a harmonizer, a volume pedal and something called an E-bow...

E-bow is something when you turn it on, you have to press it against the guitar strings then vibrations come from the guitar to the amp...
http://www.music123.com/Ebow-Ebow-Plus-i51947.music

The volume pedal is when you're playing the E-bow and the Harmonizer and you can make that very cool noise taking the volume pedal up and down..
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Guitar-Volume-Pedals--2636

As you can see there is so much to his rig...I can go on and on...

Is there something else in his rig you would like to replicate?

What amp do you have?

Wow, awsome post thanks! I havent bought my amp yet,i looked at them yesterday and was considering a fender amp for around £100 ? While were on the subject,can you tell me what version of les paul edge uses on zootv ?
edge.jpg

I really love all U2 tracks, but specifically I llove the ZooTV versions of the Fly, Bullet the blue sky especially (love the solo on that one),Untill the end of the world etc.......all so good!!!!

Last edited:
That Les Paul is a Gibson..It is a 1972 custom cream with a black pickguard (the thing right below the pickups)...Some people say that, that guitar used to be plain white and turned cream over time, but the people I have talked to and have researched say that its cream...

It is VERY rare to find and if you do find, it will be in the thousands...

tpsglick2424 said:
That Les Paul is a Gibson..It is a 1972 custom cream with a black pickguard (the thing right below the pickups)...Some people say that, that guitar used to be plain white and turned cream over time, but the people I have talked to and have researched say that its cream...

It is VERY rare to find and if you do find, it will be in the thousands...

Man its nice to be able to speak to someone who can anwser all my questions!! I had looked about for a cream model but couldnt see one anywhere! There is a very nice Gibson LesPaul Custom, white, in a shop in town!!:drool:

Tell me, can you get the music for Bullet the Blue sky live/Zootv version?? Alot of these live versions of U2 tunes have really awsome solos that just rock!

Yeah, Bullet is mainly this..

TC 2290, it is VERY expensive but he uses it on a lot of songs including Streets and City of blinding lights..

MattyUK said:

Man its nice to be able to speak to someone who can anwser all my questions!! I had looked about for a cream model but couldnt see one anywhere! There is a very nice Gibson LesPaul Custom, white, in a shop in town!!:drool:

I know how you feel, I learned all of this stuff mainly from this site..

It's an Eric Clapton signature series and I think the skeleton and snake were painted just for the Edge..

:drool:

The Epiphone les paul is an amazing guitar but, nothing sounds like the Gibson les paul..It's too amazing..

Go to a store that sells both, try em out and compair..That's how I buy my stuff.

tpsglick2424 said:
The Epiphone les paul is an amazing guitar but, nothing sounds like the Gibson les paul..It's too amazing..

Go to a store that sells both, try em out and compair..That's how I buy my stuff.

We have a big music store in my area, but they dont sell Gibsons sadly !! I would have to buy of the net! Let me phrase it another way, would a noob like myself notice any difference?!:laugh:

Well since you are starting off on guitar, no not really...The more advanced you get the more of differences you can tell of equipment..

Back
Top Bottom