left handed?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blindinglights7

The Fly
I will (hopefully) be getting my guitar soon (acoustic electric). I am left handed... but I don't think I want to learn guitar left handed. It just seems like it would be very inconvenient. What do you think???

Plus, any tips for a newbie at guitar would be much appreciated... or any links to old threads. Thanks!

Last edited:
My brother is a lefty and he learned right handed, and he plays fine.

I think that if it's something totally new that the muscles are trying, like playing guitar, it doesn't necessarily matter which way you play the instrument.

Another Lefty here! I also play left-handed guitars, I tried for a time playing right after I started learning left and could never do it, it's ok, but it sucks that I can never join a group or something because 99.9% of the time there are only right-hand guitars, you should give it a try with right-hand guitars also left-hand guitars are usually more expensive and harder to find.

I'm a lefty too, definately learn on a right handed guitar. There will be a lot of occasions when you are visiting someone who has a guitar or two, and if you only can play a left handed guitar there's not a lot you can do. Besides both hands on the guitar are required to do some pretty complex maneuvering, so I don't see why it would be easier to learn on one or the other.

im a lefty, and play right handed guitar. i feel like it has a good and a bad side.

good: as explained above, you have your "stronger" hand for hard chords.

bad: i feel like when i try strumming fast (like the elevation solo or gone at the end, boston style), i just cant do it with my hand. ive tried with my left and it works better...

My husband is left handed, but can only play guitar right handed, though he can't eat or write with his right hand. He plays very well.

i´m lefthanded and i play "righthanded guitars", i don´t change the chords, i just play upside down ...it´s difficult but it´s fine

I'm a lefty and I play righthanded as well. It has its advantages: for one, you will probably already have a lot of dexterity in your fretting hand.

Whatever you choose, I wish you best of luck in your musical endeavors!

i am lefthand. and i am sure i won´t be that good on the right hand. although i can take all the chords playing righthand. what is the difference may be the feeling in rhythm strumming of chords and solos. so i am glad to play lefthand. but the disadvantage of lefthand is that lefthand guitars choice is very small and they are of course?why more expensive. but all in all i am a glad lefty!

i am lefthanded and i don´t see any problem the way i am - and that is fret with right hand and strum with left hand. by the way i can play every chord with a right hand guitar just upside down.
the only problem is that left hand guitars a bit more expensive ... so go if you are left go left i only can recommend !

i am left handed and i can play in right way and in upside down way ... it´s quite difficult to make some solos when you play upside down, as VERTIGO SOLO...

Back
Top Bottom