Larry's Tambourines and cymbals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WillyMullen

Babyface
OK, I know this is ridiculously anal, but I'm hell-bent for accuracy and this is my first posting on here. This site is waaaay cool!!

Does anyone know whether Larry's LP tambourines are brass or steel jingles? If they're brass jingles are they dimpled or not?

Also, regarding Larry's cymbals, the placement of his ride and hi-hats are obvious. I know the sizes and models of the crashes, but does anyone have an idea as to exactly where each crash is placed?

I know he's used a different configuration for each tour and the current live footage suggests: (from right to left) 17" or 18" power, 16" (above the ride and left of the 17 or 18), then to his left is the 18" full (right of the HH) and either the 17" or 18" power (left of the HH).

I'm pretty certain of the placement of the 18" Full as I own all of these cymbals and that one has the right sound and feel to be in that primary crash position.

To be honest, I really don't like the power crashes. Maybe it's the ones I own, but they have a slow response and a short sustain.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

18, 17, and 16. The 16 sounds the best and has a nice resonant, quick response, as well as long sustain. The 17 and 18 just feel a bit slower to me, kinda sluggish, at least compared to the 18 Full. And their sustain doesn't last long at all.

Don't get me wrong, they're a great product and great cymbals, it just seems to me Larry's cymbals sound different. To me they all sound closer to the 18 full, more resonance and sustain. Maybe I'm playing them wrong, but with 17 years of experience I doubt it.

Larry used various cymbals for the recording of NLOTH. He even used some from the Zildjian 'A Custom' line. (Fine cymbals)

Seen on the u2.com video of Larry working on "Get On Your Boots".
YouTube - Larry Mullen Jnr playing drums

That said, I think Larry has used pretty much the same cymbal set-up, other than some different placement of the ride here and there, since AB/Zoo era.

l_mullen_setup.gif

VERTIGO TOUR:
PAISTE - Signature (model) cymbals:
16" power crash
17" power crash
18" power crash
18" full crash
22" power ride
14" heavy hi-hat/sound-edge hi-hat.

Larry Mullen Jr. has been a PAISTE cymbal endorser for 20+ years. He's been playing PAISTE brand cymbals exclusively since (at least) the WAR tour, if not a bit sooner.

Larry used mainly PAISTE "Rude" model cymbals, during the WAR and UNFORGETTABLE FIRE period.

Larry began using the PAISTE "Signature" line upon their conception in the late 1980's-early 1990's.

Paiste are a fine company and the Signature line are great.

The cymbals in the 1987 era Yamaha Drum ad seem to be similar setup to what Larry uses today, although he was not using the (not in production at that time) Signature line then.

lmr-yamaha_advert-1987.jpg

I don't quite agree that the 17" and 18" are 'sluggish'. But like most pieces of musical equipment, such things can be subjective and it might also differ by one's touch on the instrument. In this case, a 18" could seem sluggish if using a light stick and if one's approach on the drums was lighter.

Larry's a bit of a basher, admittedly and has often said his 'hits things for a living and people applaud'. For him and his touch on the instrument, 18" crashes probably don't seem so sluggish.

For myself, I like odd sizes. I like 13" hi-hats (no to brittle but still a tight controlled sound), 15" and 17" crashes work well for me. Ride? 20" or 22" does nicely. I love the Paiste cup-chimes. They are nice accents and one can save space by mounting them upside down above crash cymbals. Also cool about that approach, one can string the cup chime AND crash for nice effect.

Anywho... just a few cymbal thoughts and thoughts on Larry's use.

The Big Three (Cymbal companies)

I didn't know that Larry used Zildjian's, I personally don't like Zildjian, but the A custom's are quite fine. No wonder 'cause they were developed by Vinnie Colaiuta.

From pictures that I've seen... Larry had used a few Zildjians in the early early days. And he did use some on NLOTH.

You don't like Zildjian? Why? Any particular reason? Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian (the big CYMBAL three) each make fine quality instruments.

I've used cymbals from each of the 'big three' and have never been disappointed by the sounds, craftsmenship and customer service.

Speaking of customer service and Zildjian...

I bought an "A" Custom crash when they first came out, around 1993. I had it a few weeks and it cracked. This was not from killing the thing or using a hammer.

And it isn't that Zildjian has a history of poorly made products. This was more of a fluke with a new line... read on...

I talked to a friend of mine, a professinal drummer, who said to call Zildjian... if they seemed reluctant, mention that he sent me to talk to them.

I called Zildjian and told them what happened. They were honest, telling me that they had found a few similar issues. They pointed out this can happen with a new line but they have corrected the issue and would replace the cymbal immediately. They were swift to replace the cymbal within a week. I didn't have to mention that my friend, a endorser of theirs, said to call them. I didn't have to haggle. They were professional and swift at 'making things right'. This is what you want from a manufacturer. They've been around since 1623 (or something like that) for a reason - they are good at what they do.

That said, Paiste and Sabian are great at what they do too! And I have found that the customer service and commitment to making great products is a characteristic of each of the big three cymbal companies.

Oh, and that replacement 15" A Custom? I still have and use it - and it looks and sounds as great as the day the replacement arrived in the mail some 16 years ago. Now that, my friends, is quality.

You don't like Zildjian? Why? Any particular reason? Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian (the big CYMBAL three) each make fine quality instruments.

I just don't like their sound. I like Paiste and Sabian much more. And just to clear things up... I never said or implied that Zildjian made poor quality products. They make good quality cymbals but they're just not of my likes, with the exception of the A customs.

Back
Top Bottom