Larry's best recorded live drum sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickthelamb

Babyface
What do you think?
Obviously the mix on some recordings has a lot to answer for. Just search the videos for The Fly from ZOO TV tours - different TV recordings appear to emphasise the drum sound or the guitar sound which is a shame because I loved that Brady snare sound when it was right. One at the soundcheck in Lakeland, Florida 1992 - was spot on.

For me, Self Aid in Dublin 1986 has an awesome snare sound.

The overall kit mix on Under A Blood Red Sky film is great too. You hear ALL the kit. A very big tom sound going off there.

Paris 1987 sounds a bit muddy, not much top end/hihat stuff.

The clarity in the Rattle And Hum film - especially With Or Without You - for the drum sound is brilliant and I would expect such a mix for a film in a cinema.

Whistle Test version of Exit really shows how hard Larry is playing - absolutely thumping that snare and floor tom, at the the expense of Edge's guitar being far too low and Bono's well up - although that added a lot more melodies you can hear that weren't on the original album version.

Later recordings around Vertigo era were more settled - snare not as bright. I thought Paris 2018 finally brought back some rawness into the mix, still keeping the punch of that 24" kick.

Don't know if this is relevant, but the drums are nicely prominent in the mix in the Boston 1987 soundboard recording (17 Sep 1987), but as to the actualy SOUND of the kit I'd have to go back and check.

Agree on the Paris 2015 concerts, great kit.

Just been listening to those recordings on 17th and 18th

Drums pushed forward certainly!

With or Without You from Rattle and Hum is my absolute favourite sound when it comes to Larry's drumming. The clarity and power of the sound really adds to the song there. I think they did a terrific job with Larry's drums on the Rattle and Hum movie.

Other than that the following recordings come to mind:

U2 - God Part II, from the Live in Sydney broadcast 1989 (quality of the video itself is not too good unfortunately). This is probably my all time favourite performance of a song by them btw.

This one is very nice for its clarity and deepness of the drums:

Other than those, I always appreciate Larry's sound in the Sydney '93 recording, especially Daddy's Gonna Pay

Back
Top Bottom